• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
That explains that "working hard to unman the front lines" recruiting commercial I saw for the Navy today.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Future Thunderbirds

One of my coworkers couldn't pass this up...

Attachments

• t-birds.jpg
    t-birds.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 151

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Just returned from a deployment to the PI with Scan Eagle UAV onboard the ship. Pretty good system. The FLIR is not cooled so it can provide great color video during the day but sucks at night.
As for UAVs taking over naval aviation, helo pilots will always have a job. When you tell me who the first Admiral is who be willing to ride in a UAV during a Log Run, then I'll show you the last helo pilot.
A buddy's daughter just dropped out of USAF flight school; it seems that about 50% of each class is going to UAV training...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A buddy's daughter just dropped out of USAF flight school; it seems that about 50% of each class is going to UAV training...

she dropped out because she didn't want to fly UAV's? I dunno, sounds like pretty weak cheese to me. Still a better gig than handing out basketballs at the gym or whatever they do with their attrites.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
she dropped out because she didn't want to fly UAV's? I dunno, sounds like pretty weak cheese to me. Still a better gig than handing out basketballs at the gym or whatever they do with their attrites.

I was thinking the same, if that is the case. Reminds me of the guys that DOR when selected for E-2s out of p'cola.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor

She dropped because she didn't want the 10 year committment for flight school and then never flying. She swapped over to be an Admin Officer for 5 years to fullfill her Academy committment.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
She dropped because she didn't want the 10 year committment for flight school and then never flying. She swapped over to be an Admin Officer for 5 years to fullfill her Academy committment.

Do the 50% who get UAVs never move on to a "real" airframe?

magnetfreezer

Do the 50% who get UAVs never move on to a "real" airframe?

Guys who have gone through pilot training keep the pilot designator (AFSC) (they are starting up a non-rated UAV career track/allowing navs to fly them). The initial promise for those taken out of cockpits was that they would be allowed back into the air after 1 tour; however as with many military promises that was soon broken with UAV tours being extended. Those who have never had an actual airframe will probably be behind those who were prior pilots since after 5 years out of their previous aircraft they will no longer be able to go to a refresher course and have to go back through the FTU (RAG) again.

Disclaimer: along with everything UAV this could change biweekly.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
She dropped because she didn't want the 10 year committment for flight school and then never flying.

Yeah, because 10 years of enjoying work is totally worth 5 years of absolute lameness. I've heard guys who would have rather punched than do their disassoc. tour. Good...I don't want them "serving" with me anyway. :icon_rage

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, because 10 years of enjoying work is totally worth 5 years of absolute lameness. I've heard guys who would have rather punched than do their disassoc. tour. Good...I don't want them "serving" with me anyway. :icon_rage

Little harsh, don't you think? You make your career choices, let other people make their own.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It's okay, Chunks has drunk deeply of the kool-aid and is still reeling from the buzz. (smiles)

isshinwhat

None

Barring some major changes, if she's talking about getting a UAV straight out of UPT, then she's heard bad gouge. For the past year or so, each class of around 25 assignable students has been getting 1-3 UAVs, and we're hearing that will stay pretty steady throughout the near future. About the only big change to UPT for FY10 is the T-38 students now are universally assignable, rather than strictly Fighter/Bomber track.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
One of my coworkers couldn't pass this up...

chucksjr, I'm up here at the Navy War College; just showed the T-Birds picture to the Air Force Officers up here...
Some of them are not seeing the humor that is obvious to us wearing gold wings!!!

Great photo!!!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
chucksjr, I'm up here at the Navy War College; just showed the T-Birds picture to the Air Force Officers up here...
Some of them are not seeing the humor that is obvious to us wearing gold wings!!!

Think of it like screening for a sense of humor. Now, if one of them comes back to you with a Firescout in a Blue Angel paint job, well then that guy might be your new drinkin' buddy... :D