• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Think of it like screening for a sense of humor. Now, if one of them comes back to you with a Firescout in a Blue Angel paint job, well then that guy might be your new drinkin' buddy... :D

HC-16 (P'cola SAR Unit) in the early 90's did a video called the Blue Bubbas. They had a Huey painted up like a Blue Angle and did some pretty cool computer graphics (for the early 90's; now they are comically bad) of the helos doing rolls, loops, back flips and then it cuts to the car chase scene from Blues Brothers where you can see the nose and skids of the Huey.
It end with the HC-16 guys in blue flight suits with fedoras and wayfarer glasses flipping off the Blue Angle A-4 in front of the P'cola O'Club.
It was one of the funniest NHA movies ever!!
I have it on VHS, I gotta see how I can covert it digital and share with the AW crowd.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HC-16 (P'cola SAR Unit) in the early 90's did a video called the Blue Bubbas. They had a Huey painted up like a Blue Angle and did some pretty cool computer graphics (for the early 90's; now they are comically bad) of the helos doing rolls, loops, back flips and then it cuts to the car chase scene from Blues Brothers where you can see the nose and skids of the Huey.
It end with the HC-16 guys in blue flight suits with fedoras and wayfarer glasses flipping off the Blue Angle A-4 in front of the P'cola O'Club.
I have it on VHS, I gotta see how I can covert it digital and share with the AW crowd.

It's been played all over the TRACOM over the years. I think it's even on the FaceTube or YouBook sites. I had never heard who actually did it, though. Didn't realize that the "Ducks" used to actually be Hueys.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's been played all over the TRACOM over the years. I think it's even on the FaceTube or YouBook sites. I had never heard who actually did it, though. Didn't realize that the "Ducks" used to actually be Hueys.

HC-16 also used to be a Phrog FRS. Madness.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Little harsh, don't you think? You make your career choices, let other people make their own.

Fair enuf. Sure, I prescribe to a more romantic ideal of service above self. But when people whine about their occupation and their boo hoo problems that have resulted from their own doing (ie, Sure I'll take your taxpayer $$ for school) and miss on the really great parts of serving another, it's really REALLY annoying. So in that way I think they can just STFU...

But that's just my HO. And by H, I mean the "right" opinion. :D

Yankee Uniform Tango

Found it, sans audio. Regardless, this is seriously one of the best things I've ever seen. Fuckin' outstanding!

magnetfreezer

I wonder what exactly the change is, they have long had Nav's with PPL's flying UAV's.

They waived the requirement to have commercial and instrument ratings; navs that get accepted will go through the new course being stood up for those going into the new UAV - only designator (started some test classes with officers taken from various non-aviation fields). Basically they are putting them through IFS and some T-6 sims (and possibly flights) to get airsense and then teaching enough instrument stuff to satisfy the FAA before delving into the UAV-specific part of the training.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They waived the requirement to have commercial and instrument ratings; navs that get accepted will go through the new course being stood up for those going into the new UAV - only designator (started some test classes with officers taken from various non-aviation fields). Basically they are putting them through IFS and some T-6 sims (and possibly flights) to get airsense and then teaching enough instrument stuff to satisfy the FAA before delving into the UAV-specific part of the training.

Ahhh, gotcha. I wonder how many now take the bait.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Cron, thanks for posting the video! The audio portion is just music, there was no dialog.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Dude from my squadron is working a deal to go fly UAVs for the AF as his shore tour. He's actually psyched about it. It takes all kinds, I guess.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
,Sooooooooooooooooo ... when these are mainstreamed ... who are you gonna' go drinkin' w/ at the O'Club after the mission ... ??? :):confused:

They're going aboard the carrier so no official O'Club to go to after a mission to drink, but more problematic: How to sell a sea tour for an aviator in which his aircraft gets all the flight time and traps whereas the aviator literally flies a "simulator" during the deployment? Do you sell the billets as disassociated sea tours for P-3 types?

ai_nucasx47b.jpg