• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After a few short years working for IBM and driving a beamer, living anywhere but havelock will be mighty hard to resist after the weekly a$$ pain of doing more with less.

You want to feel the pain of cost-cutting? Be in a company facing financial troubles, the pain somes downhill hard and fast. You would be turning that Beemer in for a used Corolla real quick.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I extoll to the Marine options here quite often about how the virtue of "doing more with less" is one of the hardest things you'll have to do in the Marine Corps, and this thread does a pretty good job with it. I had a good friend check into Pendleton recently and CIF issued him canteens without lids. Explain to me how that makes any fucking sense on any level.

And whoever that was that commented on our budget being smaller because we're wanted and not needed, it's good that you've been reading First To Fight by LtGen Krulak as has been ordered by CMC. I agree with you completely.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I wouldn't really call it ripping the Air Force, but he did really stress his point about the need for change with regards to Air Force UAV use.
In the sterile world of DC politically correct language, that speech was the equivalent of "You guys suck. You're inertial and not on the same team. Start carrying your share of the load or there will be consequences." He heavily cited John Boyd, who was a pariah among many in the institutional AF, especially after he got out. Plus, her was talking directly to the mid-grade folks, not the senior leadership.

This was the bureaucratic equivalent of a shot across the bow; should be interesting to see how the AF responds, both overtly and behind the scenes.

hscs

pilot
The air force is done with meaningless IAs -- the organizations that they do have on the ground are so overmanned it is ridiculous -- triple the size of a CVW staff and then don't let anyone on that staff fly and you get into the ball park...you end up finding time to worry about things -- like the wrong color gym shorts while transiting to the head...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Big Trouble in Air Force leadership

SECDEF firing shots across the bow of Air Force leadership already and now relevations coming to light on the two year investigation of "Thunder Vision" with charges that senior leadership attempted to influence the award of a $50M contract to friends at the 4 star level.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The house is threatening to withhold funding for the tanker program and CSAR re-compete was delayed again (now pushed to Nov).

Oh, and they were still RIFfing the bottom of their officer corps. Bad times.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
For the kinds of challenges America faces and will face, the armed forces will need principled, creative, reform-minded leaders, men and women who, as Boyd put it, want to do something, not be somebody.
So which path would you be taking by advocating the fact that feeding the ISR monster only serves to allow the senior leadership to continue to take the decisions out of the hands of the junior officer leading the combat element on the ground, thus impeding his ability to properly develop into the kind of senior officer being advocated here???

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So which path would you be taking by advocating the fact that feeding the ISR monster only serves to allow the senior leadership to continue to take the decisions out of the hands of the junior officer leading the combat element on the ground, thus impeding his ability to properly develop into the kind of senior officer being advocated here???
At any rate, I wonder if Colonel Boyd is spinning in his grave hearing top brass use that quote to advocate their policies . . . :D

Ah, irony . . .

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I agree with the SECDEF that the USAf needs to rework the way they do some business, I don't get why all of the sudden it has become a public issue. This has been going on for the past 5 years and all of a sudden it is critical? He is stuck on Predators, which I cannot really understand. And they are planning on cutting a real moneymaker for them at the same time, the U-2. Though it some people's eyes it is not, since FMV rules the day now.

I know that something is going on at the highest levels that I obviously not clued in on, but as someone who is pretty close to the ISR allocation issue I have no idea what has changed in the past few months that has Gates all riled up. I know that some here might connect the dots with all of the focus the USAF has been getting lately, but why focus on ISR? There is definitely room for improvement, like the RC-135 Rivet Joints and the most certainly the E-8 JSTARS, but I can't wrap my head around 'why now'. :confused:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Global Hawks for my friends...BAMS winner announced

The Navy has announced that NGC and its RQ-4 Global Hawk was selected as the winner for the Broad Area Maritime Surveillance platform that will take some of the P-3C legacy surveillance mission tasking.

getasset.aspx