• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S. Navy Ditches ALL CAPS messages

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having proofread a lot of official documents, I'm not sure military personnel can handle the responsibility.

For fuck's sake, not everything is a proper noun! Most people just sprinkle capital letters around like there's a quota or something.
I've met the random capital fairy...

Renegade One

None
He was THE MAN! :cool:
Until he wasn't. And then came his successor (ADM James L. Holloway, III), and then...in fairly rapid order ...ended:
Relaxed hair, sideburn and mustache regs
Beards
Service Dress Khakis
Brown Shoes for Aviation personnel
The issue of leather flight jackets
The wearing of ribbons (e.g., "good for liberty") on short-sleeved khaki uniforms

Ah, yes…the good old days!

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Having proofread a lot of official documents, I'm not sure military personnel can handle the responsibility.

For fuck's sake, not everything is a proper noun! Most people just sprinkle capital letters around like there's a quota or something.
Maybe they're just admirers of Thomas Jefferson's style. I think that's what they used to do to emphasize words before bold and italics existed.

Lawman

None
while they're at it, how about a status check on the paperless Navy?

Haha.

Yeah every time I hear somebody say the Army is going "green" I remind them that my leave packet is 20 pages of bullshit and a DA31.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I've met the random capital fairy...

Since there is only one "random capital fairy" (by you use of "the" rather than "a") that would make it a proper noun, therefore shouldn't it be capitalized (Random Capital Fairy)??? :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Whenever I read something is "unserviceable," I imagine it being on the top of a really high mountain that no one can reach to perform the maintenance.

"Sorry sir, the tacan azimuth is unserviceable. We don't have the right climbing gear to get to it, and a blizzard just came through."

It would be nice if we could do away with codes and abbreviations in METARs and TAFs too. We have the bandwidth to send full words now. We should take advantage of that fact.

"......and we totally forgot the azimuth wrench as well"

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Also, there ought to be some kind of rule governing precedence in NOTAMS. It's ridiculous, on the verge of being unsafe, to have to wade through 35 men working/taxiway closure/ 5 degrees of azimuth unavailable at a specific altitude/ 100 ft obstruction a mile from the runway centerline/ etc messages to get to the RUNWAY CLOSURE hidden in the middle.