• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S. Navy Ditches ALL CAPS messages

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The current generation has no idea how to calculate a proper checksum for a DTG and now we have messages with LOWERCASE letters?!?

I miss the Navy I joined...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The current generation has no idea how to calculate a proper checksum for a DTG and now we have messages with LOWERCASE letters?!?

I miss the Navy I joined...
I'll see your checksum, and raise you OCR and NAVGRAM.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahhhh, NAVGRAM. Speedletter anyone?
NAVGRAM... somehow reminded me of the dreaded.. aaarrgh Z-GRAM! I remember one that stated you had to be O-4 or above to order a shaggy Sailor to get a haircut; orrr one that authorized Sailors to call the Captain's phone# at any time 24/7 (even underway), to register a complaint!!!:eek: Yes, the troops LOVED CNO "Z". Those were the dayz!
Elmo_R__Zumwalt.jpg
BzB

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Father in law hated Admiral Zumwalt. He was an Army O-6 skipper in Vietnam. He had a hell of a time when sailors with beards and ragged hair wearing dungarees and T-shirts came around his troopers.

hscs

pilot
Haven't seen the message, but heard on the news last night that the message directing the use of lower case letters in messages was sent in all caps.....

HuggyU2

None
Am I the only grammar-nazi/formatting-weenie excited about this?

No, you are not the only one.

Now... if we can convince the FAA to leave 1973, and join 2013,... and write NOTAMS with proper lowercase usage,... and devoid of abbreviations that no one can understand, so that any pilot can figure the NOTAM out.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Jeez... I can remember typing messages into a NAVMACS terminal on the boat.

Printers:

new4.jpg

p1a_2.jpg

Or my favorite - O3 fitrep time - OCR wheel in the printer for the front of the form (God help you if the alignment was off.) then flip all the carbons and change the print wheel to "Times New Roman" and print the write-up on the back.

SkywardET

Contrarian

Now... if we can convince the FAA to leave 1973, and join 2013,... and write NOTAMS with proper lowercase usage,... and devoid of abbreviations that no one can understand, so that any pilot can figure the NOTAM out.

I would definitely be happy if that happened WIE.

Renegade One

None

Well, let's not get ridiculous...

Whenever I read something is "unserviceable," I imagine it being on the top of a really high mountain that no one can reach to perform the maintenance.

"Sorry sir, the tacan azimuth is unserviceable. We don't have the right climbing gear to get to it, and a blizzard just came through."

It would be nice if we could do away with codes and abbreviations in METARs and TAFs too. We have the bandwidth to send full words now. We should take advantage of that fact.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It would be nice if we could do away with codes and abbreviations in METARs and TAFs too. We have the bandwidth to send full words now. We should take advantage of that fact.

My only complaint with that is that it would take me longer to read the weather. Whenever someone prints out a TAF in plain language, it takes me longer to read it than the code. I'm sure with time, I could overcome this affliction, though.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Having proofread a lot of official documents, I'm not sure military personnel can handle the responsibility.

For fuck's sake, not everything is a proper noun! Most people just sprinkle capital letters around like there's a quota or something.