• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Typical Miles Per Week to Max

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Did a 3 mile roadcourse today and came in at 20:00. Was a bit dissapointed, I was hoping to be at 19:30. Although for the past 3 months or so I've been eating 500 calories below maintenance in an attempt to lose a bit of extra weight. Maybe once I'm back up to or a bit above maintenance I'll see more gains from my training.

mserver

Did a 3 mile roadcourse today and came in at 20:00. Was a bit dissapointed, I was hoping to be at 19:30. Although for the past 3 months or so I've been eating 500 calories below maintenance in an attempt to lose a bit of extra weight. Maybe once I'm back up to or a bit above maintenance I'll see more gains from my training.

hoping for that extra 3 points eh?

maineiac515

OCC 193
You just need to build more of a base. Maybe this will help you, it worked for me... I layed off the 3 mile runs for a couple weeks, just did some 4,5, and 6 mile runs. I timed these runs and tried to do better each time. After a few weeks i was able to get under 18:00 for the 3 miles. Now I can run 6 miles and over faster than 7:00 per mile. Maybe this will work for you.

maineiac515

OCC 193
One more thing, running like that is just mental, you just need to get your mind up with your body. I did a mental thing while i ran, everytime that i started to slow down i pushed harder and faster, I always tried to end the long runs with at least a 150 yd sprint, but do not do too much too quickly, going out and running 26-30 miles a week right off is not a good idea.

foniks

Ahh, let me see if I can see the computer. My vision is still a little blurry.

If you are in any decent shape, I don't think 30 miles per week can be dangerous. There are of course, exeptions, however. Hell, I think any person in decent shape can run 40 mile weeks.

I say this as a general average. Anyway, always listen to your body. At OCS you won't be able to, so do it now to avoid injuries. If your body is tired, rest. If you feel good, run faster. Just running (period) prior to OCS will make your time in the 3 mile drop if you are just getting into the running thing, so you don't have to go gung ho. Listen to your body. Clock in some miles. Clock in some speed work. Enjoy it.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
You just need to build more of a base. Maybe this will help you, it worked for me... I layed off the 3 mile runs for a couple weeks, just did some 4,5, and 6 mile runs. I timed these runs and tried to do better each time. After a few weeks i was able to get under 18:00 for the 3 miles. Now I can run 6 miles and over faster than 7:00 per mile. Maybe this will work for you.

I never run less than 4 miles unless I'm trying to gauge my improvement which is once a month or so. Its usually 5 or 7 mile runs, and occasionally 9-11 which take place about once a week. I don't have a problem maintaining a pace of 7:30 even on my 9 mile runs, its just getting down into the low 6 minute pace for the short runs that I have a problem with. Maybe I need to do some more speedwork or interval training.

foniks

Even during base training, a day reserved for speedwork (per week) is a good idea. Get a good warm up, first. And then running a few mile intervals would be very helpful (even a bunch of 800m intervals if you are up for it, haha), as well as some 200 or 100 yard sprints afterwards.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I have never hit an 18:00 on the PFT. You dont need to have an 18:00 PFT to succeed at OCS. The faster you are and the more endurance you have the better, but my fastest time was 19:03 and my avg. time while at OCS was about 21:00. I'm not saying slack off or anything, but for you guys shipping out in 20-some days, dont get all worried if you're not maxing out and go and over train and hurt yourself. You definately want to show up rested because its the last time that **** will happen over the next 10 weeks. And plus, even if you can run an 18:00, you're still gonna hurt at a lot of the stuff down there. So do your best, but if you're getting shin splints and stuff like that, take care of it because you don't have sufficient time to rest and recover there