• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Typical Miles Per Week to Max

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Must be different for each staff. The hump we did for SULE II had a **** load of hills, and we were going single file through the woods in some parts of it. It was kinda bizarre. I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Walsh wasn't talking about danger, but just physical difficulty. That first hump goes over Da Nang and a few other fun hills east of of Engineer road. The later ones are just long, and since they're half at night, are slower.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
That can't be right, I guess all those 22:00min PFT candidates are SOL.

The timed five mile was at the end of OCS, very few candidates were still running >22:00, and yes those candidates are SOL, a lot of people failed the timed five miler.

Carno

Insane
Walsh wasn't talking about danger, but just physical difficulty. That first hump goes over Da Nang and a few other fun hills east of of Engineer road. The later ones are just long, and since they're half at night, are slower.

Yeah, but I think there were some big hills in our last hump too. Maybe not though, after all it was pitch black out.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
We did Da Nang twice on our last hump, towards the end. We did it and the Company Staff was like, "alright let's circle around and do it again." D@mnit, I thought that was the last time we were gonna do that sh!t. :icon_rage

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
The timed five mile was at the end of OCS, very few candidates were still running >22:00, and yes those candidates are SOL, a lot of people failed the timed five miler.

By "SOL" do you mean they were totally boned and sent home, or just a failed event but still allowed to continue?

I'm sweating the running thing...never been my strong point.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
2nd increment Golf Company's SULE II hike was the hardest (9 miler).

~26 medevacs. We ran out of ambulances/medical facilities by the first stop (3rd mile). Had to wait for about an hour IOT get going again.

A lot of people were going down with low temps, but it turned out that Hyponutrimia was the issue. (Make sure you are hanging on to those salt packets in the MRE's and every 4th or 5th Canteen you drink, dump the salt into it. Tastes like shiat, but your body needs the sodium.)

Edit: Oh yeah, for the running: Make sure you are doing plenty of speedwork. If you can't run one mile sub 6:00 you aren't going to run 3 miles sub 6:00. My school has us do 6-8 milers nearly every PT session and we all felt pretty good physically at OCS.

Also, the PFT shouldn't be ran on a track. The MCO on the PFT says that the course shouldn't have a lot of turns like a track does. Most PFT courses are relatively straight, or if they are loops, they are BIG loops (like 1 lap = 1 mile size).

xmid

pilot
Contributor
To tackle the sodium/electrolyte issue, there is a company called Hammer Nutrition (http://www.e-caps.com/) that makes "Endurolytes". They work incredibly. I would recommend them to anyone that is taking on endurance activities.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I've definitely seen improvement by simply logging the miles. Though work kept me from putting in as many as I would have liked the last month, I'm routinely hitting 35 minutes as I pass the 5 mile mark on each of my runs that last 6, 7, 8, and 9 miles. Even on my 11 miler I kept the pace under 8 minutes. I'm certainly getting more comfortable with running and am not as worried about it as I once was. That being said I know I've still got plenty of work to do but I predict I'm around a 19:30 or so, a definite improvement.

zuggerat

By "SOL" do you mean they were totally boned and sent home, or just a failed event but still allowed to continue?

I'm sweating the running thing...never been my strong point.

I just hit a huge running slump, I went from running 18's several times 2 weeks ago to being exhausted and not sleeping at night at all. Now, I'm trying to recover and I'm struggling to run mid 21's. I'll run my ass off, drenched in sweat when I get back to my house, I'll look at my watch, it'll say 21:35 and I'll be thinking WTF do I have to do!? I guess at some point we're all going to be SOL.

Very, very, very frustrating, any advice?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I just hit a huge running slump, I went from running 18's several times 2 weeks ago to being exhausted and not sleeping at night at all. Now, I'm trying to recover and I'm struggling to run mid 21's. I'll run my ass off, drenched in sweat when I get back to my house, I'll look at my watch, it'll say 21:35 and I'll be thinking WTF do I have to do!? I guess at some point we're all going to be SOL.

Very, very, very frustrating, any advice?

I know I was sort of in the same boat. I was running practice PRT's at around 11:00 and I was panicked because I thought I was going to fail. Day of the actual event came around and I think the adrenaline kicked in and I did it in 10:00. Maybe you just need an adrenaline rush! Hope this helps.

maineiac515

OCC 193
Just stick by me for the initial PFT, I'll bring you in around 17:45.
Just joking, slumps happen... just do NOT GET HURT.
BTW, you took my profile picture.

See You in 30 days

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Edit: Oh yeah, for the running: Make sure you are doing plenty of speedwork. If you can't run one mile sub 6:00 you aren't going to run 3 miles sub 6:00. My school has us do 6-8 milers nearly every PT session and we all felt pretty good physically at OCS.

OCS must be a bit harder these days. I've never run a 6:00 mile in my life, let alone 3 in a row.