• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Typical Miles Per Week to Max

zuggerat

Nah. Zugg watches that trash on VHS still! Coke commercial and all

I do have the VHS version, I got a few stains on the original cardboard slip so now its in a fluid resistent plastic case... Anyways, before this thread gets locked, hows everyones knowledge studying and packing going?

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Knowledge seems to be ok and all that. I haven't started packing yet...perhaps that would be a good idea, huh? The thing I'm most worried about is the initial PFT. I've been trying to balance healing up my shin splints with improving my run time. Maybe I should just say "fvck it," stab nails into my shins and just get over the fact that it's gonna hurt no matter what.

zuggerat

Knowledge seems to be ok and all that. I haven't started packing yet...perhaps that would be a good idea, huh? The thing I'm most worried about is the initial PFT. I've been trying to balance healing up my shin splints with improving my run time. Maybe I should just say "fvck it," stab nails into my shins and just get over the fact that it's gonna hurt no matter what.

I had them really bad about 2 months ago, I did a combination of sucking it up and ran through them, iced and heated once or twice a day, stretched whenever I wasnt busy and they're gone now. Took me about two - three weeks to feel 100%. I'm sure you can be much more agreesive with the ice than I was. It is very important to do shin exercises, this was recommended from an orthopedic surgeon who is an avid runner. Here's some stretched he recommended to me...

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/1079-shin-splints.htm

(They're at the bottom of the article, but I would read the whole thing, it's a good and informative read)

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Knowledge wise, make sure you know your general orders. They give you plenty of time to learn them there, but its better if you already know them. But make sure that you at least look over them and dont sit around thinking "yeah I know those". One thing I didnt know about was if I should learn the Code of Conduct. That doesnt come into play until towards the end. Its testable material. Maybe. I never had it. Towards the end on your leadership 2 test, you get 5 essay questions the week before. When you walk into the classroom your platoon is given one of them. One of the q1uestions was state at least 3 out of the 6 codes and write about blah blah blah...whatever the rest of it was. I never got that one. So I would say focus more on your general orders and things like that and dont worry about the Code.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Thanks for the link, Zug! I've been doing similar things, and it has helped tons. More knowledge never hurts.

On the general orders and such, I'm guessing they're wanting verbaitm, rote memorization, and not just the general idea. Is that correct?

red92gt

NFO? no. SNA? not yet. FNG? yep.
I've been trying to balance healing up my shin splints with improving my run time. Maybe I should just say "fvck it," stab nails into my shins and just get over the fact that it's gonna hurt no matter what.

Baaaad idea... You've got 10 weeks of hell to put your legs through, and if you go in with damage the chances of you graduating are slim. I was in the same boat you were (granted this was before my accident, and I still thought I was going to OCS this summer)- I started running 7-11 miles a day, 6 days a week. This caught up to me after 3 or 4 weeks, and I had a nasty case of splints before I knew it. I stopped running immediately. However, I started cross-training like a mother- biking, swimming, rowing machines, even an elliptical runner if you have access to one. To put it in perspective, here's how it worked for me- while running, my best 3 mile time was 20:56. I got the splints, and stopped running. About that time, Gunny calls me and says hey, why don't you come take a PFT (I hadn't yet, and needed one for my application). So, after cross-training for 3 weeks and not having run once, I hit the track and run a 19:32. Granted I was going at it pretty hard, but point is I got rid of the splints and improved my time. Good luck

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
yeah take a break and heal up. I did the whole 10 miles a day bs a few months before going...then I healed up and just ran kinda hard a few times a week. You can run hard every now and then to make sure that you still stay in shape, but dont be trying to drastically improve your run time by running every day. You're gonna be sitting around doing jack **** for the 3 days anyhow so you'll lose any little edge you might have gained. Just stay in good shape but dont over do it. Also, I would reccommend doing a set or two of crunches at night while you're there the first few days because you wont be doing anything at all physical and once that PFT starts its gonna hit you hard. Theres pull up bars outside of every squadbay too so get a few sets in just to stay primed.

zuggerat

If anyone wants to run a faster 3 miler on the PFT just watch "Prefontaine" before you run it...

"The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die" -Pre

foniks

If anyone wants to run a faster 3 miler on the PFT just watch "Prefontaine" before you run it...

"The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die" -Pre

Heh. Back in high school, when I wanted to be a professional runner (....), "Prefontaine" was my favorite movie. Actually, Steve Prefontaine is definately on my hero list on myspace...

"Anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"

*edit: I said "lol" too many times. I'm a bag of ass*