• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Two Weeks at OCS: How to Get NPQ'd

CrysisComa

ok so now i have a situation. iv been resting since thursday. my knees dont hurt unless i put shock on them. but heres the problem. i have a pft in 3 weeks. and 3 weeks after that i leave for OCS.

i really need to run for this pft but i dont want to injure myself further. what should i do?

i was thinking i would rest 1 week. and then no matter what just run the 2 weeks before the pft. then if my knees are not healed rest 2 weeks. and run 1 before OCS.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
ok so now i have a situation. iv been resting since thursday. my knees dont hurt unless i put shock on them. but heres the problem. i have a pft in 3 weeks. and 3 weeks after that i leave for OCS.

i really need to run for this pft but i dont want to injure myself further. what should i do?

i was thinking i would rest 1 week. and then no matter what just run the 2 weeks before the pft. then if my knees are not healed rest 2 weeks. and run 1 before OCS.

Do lower impact if you want to keep working out such as using an elliptical machine or riding a bike. You will keep your endurance up with less stress on your knee. You could also do what you said which is to rest next week then continue training. But even if you did that I would use lower impact such as the elliptical when returning to your training routine. Either way you need low impact. Also, I wouldn't worry about actually running until your PFT and OCS. If you can pass it now then you can pass it in the future even though you aren't actually running.

CrysisComa

im going to assume thats its a stress fracture. (i cant think of anything else it could be) in which case im not sure what to do. should i tell the OSO or not. will i still have a chance at completing the 6 weeks of OCS?

pain is not a problem with me. i can take the pain. but if my knee shatters thats a different matter...

I can tell you a stress fracture is not something you want to mess around with. Showing up to OCS with one will probably end up with you being sent home during the first few days of medical in-processing, or if you keep it a secret, probably end up with you getting NPQ'd somewhere along the line. Get an x-ray and find out if its really a stress fracture, because if it is, I can practically guarantee you won't make it through OCS. Besides, if you try to keep push through the pain at OCS and train on it, you could do permanent or crippling damage to your legs. Regardless, you should let your OSO know about your current condition. He is responsible for your preparation for OCS and whether you can complete the course or not. There's a difference between being sore and actually being hurt and a stress fracture constitutes a legit injury, and the best thing to do is to let that heal.

CrysisComa

ok good news for me. my knee is completely healed today. ran 5 miles with no extra pain. now. since im on this thread anyway. i figure i might as well ask this. what is about the slowest run time that an OSO will let you ship? now that my leg is healed im back to freaking out about my run time. any idea?

Well that clearly wasn't a stress fracture. Why don't you ask your OSO what he'll let you ship with? Every district has different standards. My office requires a 240 PFT to ship.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
ok good news for me. my knee is completely healed today. ran 5 miles with no extra pain. now. since im on this thread anyway. i figure i might as well ask this. what is about the slowest run time that an OSO will let you ship? now that my leg is healed im back to freaking out about my run time. any idea?

Expect your score to drop significantly when you run your first PFT at OCS.