• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Two Weeks at OCS: How to Get NPQ'd

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Greetings, everyone.

I just got back to Florida from Quantico. Long story short, I have stress fractures and need a few months to heal up, but they're letting me back.

The whole story is this:

I had been training for months on end to get a decent run time on the PFT. I finally started passing them few months ago, but by that time I had already dealt with shin splints and a pulled calf from initially overtraining. Prior to OCS, I had undertrained in order to heal what was left of those injuries, so as not to step onto the PT field with injuries within the first couple of days.

Don't do this. Hopefully, newcomers can read this as they begin training to avoid injuries.

My initial overtraining was because I was trying to hurry and get my packet in in time to avoid using an age waiver. It worked, but at the expense of sufficient muscle development in my legs which would normally absorb the shock of running. I got accepted to OCS without sufficient training in running up and down hills. Having to alter my already questionable running step to compensate for the uneven terrain fatigued my muslces to the point where they were no longer absorbing impact, and it was all transfered to the bones. Hence, the fractures.

When you start running, your OSO will probably be after you to pass a PFT if you aren't already at that point yet. Obviously, that's important. But, if you aren't already a runner, start slow. Start with a slow, easy half mile and work your way up. After a couple of weeks you'll feel like you can do a lot more, and you can. However, your body needs to adapt to this process slowly. You shouldn't increase your distance by much more than 10% each time.

Even though you can will yourself to run 7 or 8 miles at a time within a month does not mean that you should. That's how I injured myself initially, which lead to a long spiral of counter-injuries resulting in my NPQ last week.

The irony is that I was trying to avoid using an age waiver, and now I definitely need one to retain my NFO contract.

At any rate, I was motivated before I got there, and now after having a taste of OCS and training with the best people I've ever had the privelage of working with, I'm more motivated than ever. Initially when I first went it was more about flying in an -18D or Prowler. Flying being my life's dream, that's not going anywhere. But, now it's more about becoming a Marine.

A good handful of us candidates spent a few days on light duty before they told us what was going to happen to us. Of course, I assumed the worst and figured I'd be NPQ'd with no chance to return.

These were painful days. Candidates are treated like slime. Light duty candidates are not treated so well as that, even. We got called "lazy" and "slackers" by the staff. I figure they do that to keep people from going on light duty to avoid PT or whatever. Just as well, I suppose, but light duty sucks. You feel totally helpless as the rest of your platoon gets to drill, train, and so on. Further, even though you might be capable, the staff won't let you carry your day pack or your rifle. I did not like giving up my rifle, and I didn't like having someone else carry my stuff and becoming a burden to the platoon. They were great about it, never once complaining and always taking my gear with a smile and something like, "Hope you can train with us again soon," or "Heal up quick."

The worst part, by far, was the day after they X-rayed me and told me I had stress fractures. We had just made a head call after a class, and when we came back they had set up uniform displays, and the Marine Exchange and Marine Shop told us about their uniform prices and services. Then, they gave us a chance to file up in front of the stage, pick up the uniforms and test the quality of them.

I made my way up the line, and picked up a lovely white cover, quatrefoil on the top, and a beautiful Eagle, Globe and Anchor shining brightly from its center in gold and silver. I almost lost it right there, thinking I'd never wear one. We passed by a Mameluke sword, and I got a chance to pick it up. It felt like it was meant for my hand, it just fit. This was pure agony.

While the injury did cause some discomfort, the pain of looking at those uniforms and, even worse, watching my platoon train without me, far exceeded any pain the injury caused.

Finally they told us we'd be NPQ'd with the chance to return, and that there was a very good chance I'd be allowed to keep my NFO contract. I almost exploded, it was the best news I'd heard for two weeks. As we loaded onto the back of a pickup truck, bound for a meeting with the Colonel, the Company Commander asked, "Do any of you plan on coming back?" All four of us said, "Yes, sir!" in unison, and he grinned a bit. It was weird that last day, seeing the staff in "off" mode and actually treating us like human beings. Sitting in the CSA office we were still in candidate mode, you know, sitting straight up with hands on our knees. They kept telling us to relax, but it was hard to turn that off.

Finally I left Quantico, got home safely and all that. New applicants, do yourself a favor, though, and don't put yourself through this roller coaster. If you aren't a runner, start slow. If you are a runner, train for hills, and lots of them. Anything else you can adapt to.

I'll post more stuff about OCS as I get time. I learned a few tricks that might be useful for future candidates.

Casey121

Thanks a lot for the post. That sounds exactly like my situation so far. I just qualified for NFO on the ASTB, and my OSO is pushing me pretty hard to pass the PFT. I'll definitely use the info on injuries. Thanks again.

Marine4life

Three ways to reduce your chances of injury are to: (1) cross-train ie: swim, hike, elliptical, sprints, (2) strength train, targeting the quad muscles, hip flexors, and glutes and, (3) start a good stretching routine. If you do these, you will greatly reduce your likelihood of injury.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Zilch,

good post! I agree, OCS took away any doubt I might have once had about becoming a Marine. It sounds sick, but the initial few days after I got home I actually missed being there a bit.

Good luck WHEN you return. Stay motivated, and keep fightin ya puke! ;)

A.Kuettel

I got NPQ'd for the same thing this summer. When I got back home my ortho doctor (a former Marine) showed me a new running technique where you run strictly on the balls of your feet. It takes away the stress on the bone structure that cause a whole bunch of injuries, including stress fractures. It looks and feels kind of funny at first but believe me it really helps out. You figure out the form by running at full sprint then slowing down to a jog while keeping that same form. You should keep your body centered over your legs, and never let you heels touch the ground. Its really helped me out.

cmquaker

I got NPQ'd for the same thing this summer. When I got back home my ortho doctor (a former Marine) showed me a new running technique where you run strictly on the balls of your feet. It takes away the stress on the bone structure that cause a whole bunch of injuries, including stress fractures. It looks and feels kind of funny at first but believe me it really helps out. You figure out the form by running at full sprint then slowing down to a jog while keeping that same form. You should keep your body centered over your legs, and never let you heels touch the ground. Its really helped me out.

Does that reduce knee impact as well? I am recovering from a minor knee injury and I am looking for low impact training methods.

A.Kuettel

Does that reduce knee impact as well? I am recovering from a minor knee injury and I am looking for low impact training methods.

From what he told me it helps out your entire leg. He gave me this article to read in menshealth.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/artic...4b1ca01e91c010VgnVCM10000013281eac____&page=1

It is kinda of alot to read, and alot of it has to do with how to live healthy, and also stay healthy while running a training program. But about halfway through it explains all the science behind the running method as well new ideas on shoes.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
In case it's not posted elsewhere, try doing a majority of your running on a non-paved surface. It'll reduce your chances of shin splints and stress fractures. Just watch out for the sprained ankles.

foniks

Three ways to reduce your chances of injury are to: (1) cross-train ie: swim, hike, elliptical, sprints, (2) strength train, targeting the quad muscles, hip flexors, and glutes and, (3) start a good stretching routine. If you do these, you will greatly reduce your likelihood of injury.
4) Eat a lot, and eat healthy
5) Rest. Sleep. When you aren't running or pting, rest and stay off of your feet.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Thanks for the info, guys. And yeah, I do miss OCS a bit. My platoon is still there getting slammed and I'm home sipping OJ and sleeping in. Doesn't seem right, does it?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Sorry to hear Zilch. Thats a biotch. I almost got sent home too because of stress fractures. I'm sure you feel like crap but stay motivated while you're at home. Heal up and then get back at it. Do you think you can make it into -194 or would you have to wait until next summer?

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
Sorry to hear you got sent packing Zilch, I know how much it sucks. Heal up, stay motivated, and get back to Quantico!

red92gt

NFO? no. SNA? not yet. FNG? yep.
From what he told me it helps out your entire leg. He gave me this article to read in menshealth.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/artic...4b1ca01e91c010VgnVCM10000013281eac____&page=1

It is kinda of alot to read, and alot of it has to do with how to live healthy, and also stay healthy while running a training program. But about halfway through it explains all the science behind the running method as well new ideas on shoes.

Anyone else read this article? Interesting, definitely. The running technique will also have to be tried. However, I'm raising a major BS flag on the ability to live off of beer and "corn water" and run 100 miles when you're 60.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Sorry to hear Zilch. Thats a biotch. I almost got sent home too because of stress fractures. I'm sure you feel like crap but stay motivated while you're at home. Heal up and then get back at it. Do you think you can make it into -194 or would you have to wait until next summer?

I think 194's a bit soon, the bone still hurts a bit and I can't really train on them until 8-12 weeks after pain stops. I'm thinking more like 195 or 196.