• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TWO ITEMS .... MMA in Mugu and carrier in Hawaii ???

macattack

Fly Navy said:
Google isn't a source, it's a search engine.

I know. I thought it was implied that I found it via Google, but here's a link anyway:

http://www.dcmilitary.com/navy/tester/10_41/features/37615-1.html

P-8A, currently just over a year into its System Development and Demonstration (SDD) phase, will use state-of-the-art simulation and training systems and implement innovative performance-based logistics concepts. The platform will provide more combat capability with a smaller force and less infrastructure than the venerable P-3C. Successful execution of SDD is critical toward getting the first operational aircraft squadron forward deployed in 2013. Full operational capability is slated for 2019.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Source for those dates?

There's no way to accurately estimate the pipeline timeframe right now. Too many variables.
There's a system in place for the transition.

From the latest Boeing phamplet they've been placing out for the studs to take home with them...

"The program is currently in the Systems Developemtn and Demonstration phase, a critical step in preparing to forward deploy the first operational squadron in 2013"

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I live not to far from whidbey, and attend school there from ERAU every once in a while, and about 1 to 1 1/2 years ago I witnessed what I assume to be a MMA prototype(?) flying in the pattern on numerous occasions. I couldnt see any recognizable markings but it looked to be wearing a TPS or similar scheme. My .02 cents...

r/

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JoshDavid said:
I live not to far from whidbey, and attend school there from ERAU every once in a while, and about 1 to 1 1/2 years ago I witnessed what I assume to be a MMA prototype(?) flying in the pattern on numerous occasions. I couldnt see any recognizable markings but it looked to be wearing a TPS or similar scheme. My .02 cents...

r/
Doubt it. MMA is just going to be based on the 737, plus it's not far enough along in the development stage to be flying, plus they wouldn't be doing test flying at Whidbey. You probably saw a C-40 which is the Navy's relatively new 737 variant that replaces the C-9.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Actually .... I saw it @ 1 1/2 year ago .... painted all-grey with "winglets" .... doing LOTs of T&G's @ NAS Whidbey ..... It certainly COULD have been a C-40 but: I inquired and was told it was an MMA "prototype" doing "suitability and proving runs" @ various NAS's.

Can't vouch for the veracity of the statement .... it's what I was told by a senior officer at Whidbey.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Two simple words:

BARBERS POINT
Not as simple as it was 8 years ago when Senator Dan did his "In-no-way" amendment to the BRAC closure of NAS Barber's Point ..... mega-encroachment today from the entire Ewa plain .... and more coming. It might make it impossible to base a bunch of "fast-movers' there ..... BUT:

How about this ??? I have seen several P-3's in the pattern @ Barber's in the last few weeks. Soooooooooo .... could you move the P-3's back to a re-activated NAS Barber's (like they used to be) thus "tiggering" the Sen. "In-no-way" provision and put the fast-movers @ MCB Kaneohe (like they used to be -- USMC, anyway) .... the more things change .... etc., etc. .... ??? :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Actually .... I saw it @ 1 1/2 year ago .... painted all-grey with "winglets" .... doing LOTs of T&G's @ NAS Whidbey ..... It certainly COULD have been a C-40 but: I inquired and was told it was an MMA "prototype" doing "suitability and proving runs" @ various NAS's.

Can't vouch for the veracity of the statement .... it's what I was told by a senior officer at Whidbey.
Yeah, it was the "win the hearts and minds" run by Boeing, visited all the VP sites. Came out to HI, no point scheme, white tail bird. Had 20 hours on the airframe, nothing on the inside except cardboard presentation boards with what the plane would have there, plus a lot of lead (pellet) bags.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
Yeah, it was the "win the hearts and minds" run by Boeing, visited all the VP sites. Came out to HI, no point scheme, white tail bird. Had 20 hours on the airframe, nothing on the inside except cardboard presentation boards with what the plane would have there, plus a lot of lead (pellet) bags.
Hey...it's a 737! Thanks for playing - goodnight! :D

Brett

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Hey...it's a 737! Thanks for playing - goodnight! :D

Brett
Is that what it was? I don't know, since there was a mob of Marine Helo pilots that flocked over to it.... :D

Not like I will ever fly in it, ummm, 2013... I'll either be working at Taco Bell or carry the pub bag for Hal... depending on which way the economy goes!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
How about this ??? I have seen several P-3's in the pattern @ Barber's in the last few weeks. Soooooooooo .... could you move the P-3's back to a re-activated NAS Barber's (like they used to be) thus "tiggering" the Sen. "In-no-way" provision and put the fast-movers @ MCB Kaneohe (like they used to be -- USMC, anyway) .... the more things change .... etc., etc. .... ??? :)

Not the first time I've heard this, and it makes sense. The only issue that I never heard ironed out was what to do w/ the helos. Right now there's not enough room for the 4 P-3 squadrons to be home at one time, as well as the helo guys being ass-jammed together. And when anyone comes in on their way west or east, it gets worse. So, if they moved the HSL guys back to Barbers that could help, but still, that's only 5 hangars/squadrons spaces that open up, and one of those belongs to the L-39s and MALS. They might be able to put up another hangar on the NE side of the runway but it's still pretty squished w/ the Tank Farm and big Bird bath. Interesting to see what happens.

Does anyone know if they'd move in an AIMD if a wing came? I can't imagine MALS would be able to support a wing as it is now, and not sure if they'd just beef it up or bring in another AIMD service.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Highly doubt we will see a carrier in Hawaii. GW is going to Yoko in 2008 to replace the Kitty. JFK is going away. Navy is going from 12 CV hulls to 11. East Coast (Norfolk/Mayport) are sweating who gets the JFK's replacement.

Article here:
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=96346&ran=177658

Favorite line in whole article:
And the selection of a ship to replace the Kitty Hawk proved sensitive as well; at least three ships, the Harry S. Truman, Nimitz and Bush, were ruled out because of their namesakes’ involvement in campaigns against Japan during World War II.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
A4sForever said:

That has got to be the same time I saw it, winglets and all doing a whole 'lotta t&g's.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
East Coast (Norfolk/Mayport) are sweating who gets the JFK's replacement.
Well, I don't know how much Mayport is sweating anything. As it stands they can not homeport a CVN there without major (and I mean major) modifications to their facilities, including the construction of a fueling facility and dredging out a huge section of the basin. Mayport has plenty of vessels there to support its crappy economy of dive bars, strip clubs and tattoo parlors. They got along just fine without a carrier for several years (and the traffic was oh so delightful) and could do so again.

Brett

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
I gotta ask, hopefully someone is in the know around the P-3 community: Is the MMA really going to happen? Word floating around your future 737 IPs here in TACAMO :icon_tong is that this program is 50/50 on happening due to budget cuts expected over the next few years, and even if it does happen you're looking at tops 50 frames for tops 4 squadrons and the FRS (something like 11 planes per squadron and 6 for the FRS, not sure on the exact details). Any insights?