• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TWO ITEMS .... MMA in Mugu and carrier in Hawaii ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
FYI ....... Just visited for a couple of days with a person who is in a position to know .... he says:

1. The MMA basing/placement (?) group is doing suitability and environmental studies at Whidbey .... AND ...... Point Mugu. He says NUW is NOT a "done deal" regarding the future basing of the MMA ..... ???

2. Several "senior Navy Admirals" (?) maintain their strong desire for a carrier in Pearl Harbor ... the two biggest questions (of course :) ) are still where to put the AirWing and the housing impact of 4-5000 potential warm bodies -- military and dependents. Training areas are considered problematical, but workable .....

LoneSailor

I thought the idea of putting a carrier in Hawaii was put to rest once they agreed on replacing the KittyHawk?

Add the new Army Stryker Bde, and the new super uber secret joint facility they're creating on NCTAMS that's going to add atleast 5000+ bodies in the island.. I think housing is just ONE of the problems DOD needs to address if they do decide to put a carrier in hawaii, traffic is already a nightmare..:eek:

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hearing Guam would make a great carrier base.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll bet all the Dis-associated sea tours on a Hawaii boat would fill up quickly...
ea6bflyr

macattack

I read the first MMA squadron is slated for 2013, with full capability being reached around 2019. Therefore, what do you think would be a decent estimate as to when they will stop the P-3 training pipeline?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
creepto said:
I thought the idea of putting a carrier in Hawaii was put to rest once they agreed on replacing the KittyHawk?......
Not a chance .... at least, not as long as it means another carrier one week closer to the Asian-Pacific Rim for the Admirals and planners ....... and as long as it means a LOT of $$$$$ to Hawaii politicians and their constituents ...... :)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
uhh I think they are moving all of us in Oki to Guam so there might not be room for a carrier there but you guys can have Guam if we move to Australia.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
macattack said:
I read the first MMA squadron is slated for 2013, with full capability being reached around 2019. Therefore, what do you think would be a decent estimate as to when they will stop the P-3 training pipeline?

A couple questions, 1)What's MMA stand for? and 2) Isn't the P-3 our only land-based anti-sub and anti-shipping aircraft, and wouldn't it be bad if we did away with that capability?

KBayDog

A4sForever said:
... the two biggest questions (of course :) ) are still where to put the AirWing and the housing impact of 4-5000 potential warm bodies -- military and dependents.

Two simple words:

BARBERS POINT

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
MMA is a Boeing 737 variant that will take the place of the P-3. Forgot what MMA stands for exactly maybe John or another can help out on the letters.

KBayDog

MMA = Multimission Maritime Aircraft = Hellooooooo Southwest Airlines.

*Ding* You are now free to move about the Theater...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
macattack said:

Source for those dates?

There's no way to accurately estimate the pipeline timeframe right now. Too many variables.

AllAmerican752 said:
Isn't the P-3 our only land-based anti-sub and anti-shipping aircraft, and wouldn't it be bad if we did away with that capability?

yeah, it would be bad. that's why Orions are going to be replaced with MMAs. There's a system in place for the transition.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Schnugg said:
Hearing Guam would make a great carrier base.

There was an article in Proceedings about a year ago about that, and the thought was that it wasn't the best option. Too far away, and really not necessary w/ all the other units that are positioned there or prepped to go there when needed. It also had some interesting statistics on the support system there should we need to move an airforce (Navy or otherwise) of some kind there.