• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turn The Heat Off!!!

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Gouge on this is that it took place at columbus, and that the Jap studs arent dumb. The kid was jsut messing with the IP, by the way the IPs call sign...SATAN, no joke.

T

TXHusker05

Well, the callsign is fitting. I am not doubting that the IP jumped all over him a bit much... but still. Seems to me that messing with your IP isn't a good idea.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
In T-34s an instructor had me pre-flight in a downpour while he stayed in base ops. He was surprised how soaking wet his seat/cockpit had become. Perhaps that's because I opened his canopy while I preflighted.

In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best idea (possible damage to avionics) but it felt good to stick it to The Man.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
In T-34s an instructor had me pre-flight in a downpour while he stayed in base ops. He was surprised how soaking wet his seat/cockpit had become. Perhaps that's because I opened his canopy while I preflighted.

In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best idea (possible damage to avionics) but it felt good to stick it to The Man.

You were actually gonna depart in a downpour? Sounds like the IP was an a$$hole.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Fly Navy said:
You were actually gonna depart in a downpour? Sounds like the IP was an a$$hole.

It was one of those P-cola passing showers. It cleared up before we took off. I could have easily waited until it passed, but I was a 20 year old NAVCAD at the time and didn't feel salty enough to tell him to stick it. Plus I had a long flight with him to look forward to, so I figured a little "silent protest" would have been better. Like I said, maybe not the best COA.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
It was one of those P-cola passing showers. It cleared up before we took off. I could have easily waited until it passed, but I was a 20 year old NAVCAD at the time and didn't feel salty enough to tell him to stick it. Plus I had a long flight with him to look forward to, so I figured a little "silent protest" would have been better. Like I said, maybe not the best COA.

Avionics damage? Bah, you got him back, that's what counts :) I like it.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
He reminds me of the dipsheits who go to other countries and have this dialogue:

"Gimme a beer"
Bartender: ????
"GIMME BEER"
Bartender: *Points to bottle of Peppermint Schnappz*
"GIMME BEER YOU POS!!!!!"
Bartender: *Starts freaking out pointing to different alcohols"
"BEER BEER BEER DO YOU NOT SPEAK ENGLISH???"

That is incredibly annoying. At no point does YELLING ever improve one's ability to understand a foreign language. Unless of course the person being yelled at is the enemy and there is a weapon pointed at them - in which case the language barrier is much more transparent.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Just try the time proven West Pac translation method from Rush Hour:

"Do YOU understand the WORDS coming out of my MOUTH???"

The japanese love it here.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This lack of communication is not at all unusual when working with foreign pilots, mechanics, ATC personnel and controllers. English may be the "official language" --- but on paper only and it ain't the King's English. :confused: Many, many Sea Stories have origins in this type of ... "communication". :)

I think this instructor did just fine. Having "been there" --- with foreign STUDs and Aviators --- and having had runaway cockpit hot bleed air --- I say again, the instructor did just fine -- didn't lose it. He seemed kind of "gentle" to me ....

Some of you may not be aware how hot it can get when cockpit hot bleed air runs away from a failure or this possible screw-up. You cannot afford to mess around with it as temps ranging from 150-200 F are not unheard of ... I've seen burns and burned gear and know of at least one canopy jettison to cope with runaway hot bleed air.

Sauna ??? Nope, it's more like practicing for Hell :icon_rage

JIMMY

Harrier Dude said:
Just try the time proven West Pac translation method from Rush Hour:

"Do YOU understand the WORDS coming out of my MOUTH???"

The japanese love it here.

lol

"Do you speak american?"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Some of you may not be aware how hot it can get when cockpit hot bleed air runs away from a failure or this possible screw-up. You cannot afford to mess around with it as temps ranging from 150-200 F are not unheard of ... I've seen burns and burned gear and know of at least one canopy jettison to cope with runaway hot bleed air.
Well if it was runaway ECS, you're absolutely right, and my tune changes entirely. Don't have your experience. but I've already had a buddy get runaway full hot on a solo. Damn near got heatstroke bringing the plane back. And I've had many an IP explain a brusque remark in the debrief as not having time to explain, just to tell. No problemo here. Thick skin a prerequisite as always.

But from the reaction of the student it seemed that the cockpit was fine (e.g. "safe") and the instructor was just getting hot under the collar in two senses of the phrase. Which led me to pronounce him a jerk. There are yellers who are respected for their intensity and those who are saluted, obeyed, then described by their students behind their back as a**holes and this guy seems to be the latter. Stud asking what he got reamed for and just getting told to shut up and fly? Please.

Fly Navy said:
Try doing 2v1 ACM with a French student who's 3s sounds like 2s and vice versa.
Yowch. Flying it with my own (American) roommate the first time was hard enough.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
nittany03 said:
But from the reaction of the student it seemed that the cockpit was fine (e.g. "safe") and the instructor was just getting hot under the collar in two senses of the phrase. Which led me to pronounce him a jerk. There are yellers who are respected for their intensity and those who are saluted, obeyed, then described by their students behind their back as a**holes and this guy seems to be the latter. Stud asking what he got reamed for and just getting told to shut up and fly? Please.
Screamers (we didn't call them "yellers" -- too much like Disney's 'Ol Yeller who was ... loveable) have always "been there" and will always "be here". I've had 'em myself and I've been accused of being one. And I've even been one. I'll bet that suprises you, yes??? :) I've also stood up to one notorious one and told him to go fvck himself. No more problems from him ... as he was out of line and I wasn't. A fine line to judge, to be sure ..... ;)

You gotta walk in the instructor's boots before you judge. It "sounds" like it was hotter than hell and not getting any better. That calls for strong measures. Like I say, I've been there --- and one of the most frustrating things imagineable is trying to 'get' something across to a marginal STUD, especially if said STUD is English-challenged --- or perhaps just a USMC STUD who was Polish and an AGGIE to boot. :eek: Don't laugh --- I had one.

But seriously ... you have to have walked the walk before you criticize --- ESPECIALLY when you are flying an aircraft.

And you think YOU don't like "SCREAMERS"??

Strange, but true: I liked the way some of the Chileans and Bolivians that I trained in the airline handled the language "gap". They had their own "mentor" who would haul off and slap them in the back of the head -- hard -- when they screwed up something in the simulator or in class. One time I told a below average STUD to "SPEAK UP"!! Their "mentor" whacked him behind the head and shouted "MAS FUERTE !!!"

That translation was a thing of beauty. :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
A4sForever said:
Screamers (we didn't call them "yellers" -- too much like Disney's 'Ol Yeller who was ... loveable) have always "been there" and will always "be here". I've had 'em myself and I've been accused of being one. And I've even been one. I'll bet that suprises you, yes??? :) I've also stood up to one notorious one and told him to go fvck himself. No more problems from him ... as he was out of line and I wasn't. A fine line to judge, to be sure ..... ;)

or perhaps just a USMC STUD who was Polish and an AGGIE to boot. :eek: Don't laugh --- I had one.

I][/SIZE]

That translation was a thing of beauty. :)

I'm astonished to hear that you might be considered a Yeller by anyone. You? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I know how it feels to teach foreign studs. Most have above average skills that I've seen (Italians) but the language can be frustrating. Of course I don't think I'd do any better flying in Italy speaking Italian.

When the ECS goes full hot in the Harrier, stand the fvck by for pain. Sometimes burns to the hands. Depending on the sverity of the malfuncion.

I can't get the video to run. maybe it's NMCI. Then again, maybe it's me.

After all, I'm an Aggie Marine.

Gig 'Em and Semper Fi.