• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TSA or T&A ???

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
"A person briefed on the latest tests tells ABC News the failure rate approaches 70 percent at some major airports."

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
TSA is serving as a deterrence and not to provide physical security. The Air Marshall's, local/state Police will provide physical security if need be.

Yeah. . .because there's a local LEO or Air Marshall on every flight. Long story short, if someone wants to blow up/shoot up a plane, they will.

SkywardET

Contrarian
TSA is serving as a deterrence and not to provide physical security. The Air Marshall's, local/state Police will provide physical security if need be.
Presence is the first step in force protection. Yeah, I get that, and I get that it actually works. However the TSA is beyond simple presence. It is ineffective, invasive presence that is the foot in the door towards a de facto repeal of the 4th Amendment. The excuse given is that nobody is forcing you to fly, so you need to volunteer your rights over in order to be "safe." What's next? SECHOMESEC has the answer: every other public conveyance. After all, it's voluntary to participate in the subway system, so you should forfeit your rights when you go down the tunnel.

It's currently airplanes that force you to get scanned nude and/or pat down. Trains, ships, subways, and buses are next. What's after that?

Clux4

Banned
Yeah. . .because there's a local LEO or Air Marshall on every flight. Long story short, if someone wants to blow up/shoot up a plane, they will.

That is the point I am trying to make. TSA is not at the airport to provide physical security. They are there to prevent would be terrorist from getting on the plane with a weapon. Airport security, local police are there to provide physical security at the airport. TSA is not even armed to begin with and so is not effective in providing physical security.

Presence is the first step in force protection. Yeah, I get that, and I get that it actually works. However the TSA is beyond simple presence. It is ineffective, invasive presence that is the foot in the door towards a de facto repeal of the 4th Amendment. The excuse given is that nobody is forcing you to fly, so you need to volunteer your rights over in order to be "safe." What's next? SECHOMESEC has the answer: every other public conveyance. After all, it's voluntary to participate in the subway system, so you should forfeit your rights when you go down the tunnel.

It's currently airplanes that force you to get scanned nude and/or pat down. Trains, ships, subways, and buses are next. What's after that?

I think we have gone over this on this same thread. I have no sympathy for your apparent loss of privacy. If it is that big of a deal to you, find another country where terrorist threats are not so much an issue.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
This is one of the dumbest (yet frightening) posts I've ever read here.

Please tell me you're not serious.

It's very serious Harrier Dude. You should turn in all of your personal firearms too, since I heard that someone committed a crime with a firearm once.

Clux4

Banned
This is one of the dumbest (yet frightening) posts I've ever read here.

Please tell me you're not serious.

You know what else is pretty dumb, the scare tactics and this notion that privacy in being given up to the gestapo. It is frightening and down right scary to think that people believe this shit.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You know what else is pretty dumb, the scare tactics and this notion that privacy in being given up to the gestapo. It is frightening and down right scary to think that people believe this shit.

What are you talking about? Whose scare tactics? The TSA's?

The rest of America doesn't have any semblance of "tactics" when it comes to getting through the airport. They're just fed up with the pointless intrusions and pissed off that anytime they question the wisdom of the TSA they're regarded as unpatriotic potential terrorists.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
98% of you are basically clueless and just reacting on 'emotion' ... and you shoot your mouths off to no avail.

You KNOW how it works on the military side of the house, yet you are CLUELESS how it works on the 'civvie-street' side of the house ...

1% have good instincts and 'get it' -- but that's all, folks -- some of this stuff just can't be 'talked about' on a public forum. At least for those in the know and who are held 'responsible' ... :sleep_125

Bottom line: most of you are NOT on the 'inside' and therefore have NOT A CLUE ... OR A NEED TO KNOW ... you're civilians here -- not military guys -- so it basically doesn't matter what 'you think', which is worth what the price of admission =
NOTHING. It's what YOU KNOW ... based on WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.

I've got several TSA/security horror stories I COULD post ... I was 'there' on the ground floor when the FFDO program and the TSA was formed ... and if it was worth it (or legal) I'd clue you in ... but most of the FACTS are diametrically opposed to what you think and what the reality is ...

What a surprise ... :)

phrogpilot73

I have no sympathy for your apparent loss of privacy. If it is that big of a deal to you, find another country where terrorist threats are not so much an issue.
Didn't your commissioning oath have SOMETHING to do with the Constitution? If this is how you truly feel, why don't you be the one to find another country. One that doesn't value the constitution and puts whole hearted trust and faith in the mostly-democratically elected government. Whatever other bullshit you espouse on this forum, it's fucking downright scary that you're that flippant about a discussion of something involving constitutionally protected freedoms.

Pariel

98% of you are basically clueless and just reacting on 'emotion' ... and you shoot your mouths off to no avail.

You KNOW how it works on the military side of the house, yet you are CLUELESS how it works on the 'civvie-street' side of the house ...

1% have good instincts and 'get it' -- but that's all, folks -- some of this stuff just can't be 'talked about' on a public forum. At least for those in the know and who are held 'responsible' ... :sleep_125

Bottom line: most of you are NOT on the 'inside' and therefore have NOT A CLUE ... OR A NEED TO KNOW ... you're civilians here -- not military guys -- so it basically doesn't matter what 'you think', which is worth what the price of admission =
NOTHING. It's what YOU KNOW ... based on WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.

I've got several TSA/security horror stories I COULD post ... I was 'there' on the ground floor when the FFDO program and the TSA was formed ... and if it was worth it (or legal) I'd clue you in ... but most of the FACTS are diametrically opposed to what you think and what the reality is ...

What a surprise ... :)

Serious question A4s (and apologies if you've addressed this earlier in the thread and I missed it), and without getting in too deep, but do you think that TSA is on the right track with their current methods?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Serious question A4s (and apologies if you've addressed this earlier in the thread and I missed it), and without getting in too deep, but do you think that TSA is on the right track with their current methods?

Alright Pariel, I'll take the bait. Let's assume you don't think they're on the right track. And since you seem to have an opinion on just about everything and a willingness to share it - tell us all how to fix it. Enlighten us with your thorough understanding of the matter - tell us how to fix the broken system... But when you're doing that, remember there are people here who really do know what they're talking about.

Its getting old hearing folks bitch and complain about what they perceive as constitutional injustices and get all emotional over it - but they don't offer any constructive ideas on how to make the system work better. It is what it is. The TSA has some (limited) effectiveness. To give it more teeth would bring more ire from the ACLU and other civil liberties watch dogs. To make it more passenger friendly and easier to move through would defeat the purpose of its existence.

Its not perfect, it will never be perfect. But maybe you guys could come up with some better ideas instead of hanging around an internet forum bitching about it. But then what would AW be here for :)