• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TSA or T&A ???

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Just curious, but how would your opinion change if airlines had their own private security that was doing this?

At least then I would have a choice to fly on the airline that a. gives the best HJs in the security line, or b. handles security in a manner similar to El Al, which is to say less security theatre, more security.

Besides the obvious inattention to customer service (because fuck that, We're the Government and you can go get fucked!), TSA has a massive PR problem. I can't think of a single example where the TSA thwarted a terrorist attack in the security line. Not one single terrorist caught in the shoeless, naked, crotch frisk line. They've all been caught...after the fact...IE...on the airplane by the same Americans TSA treats like a bunch of asshole terrorists.

Maybe somewhere, there's been a success, but you sure as shit haven't heard about it, and knowing this administration, I would be astounded if something like that went down without it being splashed across the front pages.

Reactions: m26

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I obviously fly on airlines more than most of you or the vast majority of the public. Body scanners and enhanced pat-downs do not make me feel any safer. They are a bull shit "feel good" for the public vice providing any real additional protection. There are so many other things the TSA could do that would be less intrusive for the public and have a far better effect on safety/anti-terrorism.

But than the TSA would have to admit they were wrong and we all know that will never happen.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
http://www.phdinparenting.com/2010/11/23/too-much-power-too-little-judgment-in-the-hands-of-tsa/

A breastfeeding mom was held for an hour and fifteen minutes in the special inspection area because she requested that the TSA follow their own procedures on the screening of milk she had pumped for her son. Even with a printed copy of the TSA procedures on hand to show the screeners they refused, harassed her, and even threatened to have her arrested.

Absurd what we have allowed to happen to ourselves...

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reports in the new are that most backscatter machines were shut down for today. If that is so, didn't the TSA just show that they aren't required? Or did they decide to compromise on the security of air travel in the name of expediency?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Good discussion .. but most of you guys are delusional as to what's goin' on 'inside' the TSA and what the bottom line is ... I was there on the ground floor w/ a 'special' ALPA program that went back @ 30 years (HAL/CAT-man/Wink/LoveBug/ and some others would know what it is ... ) and the FFDO program ... so I kinda' know the score ...

HAL's got it right ... 'cause he's a repeat customer.

Clux4

Banned
I obviously fly on airlines more than most of you or the vast majority of the public. Body scanners and enhanced pat-downs do not make me feel any safer. They are a bull shit "feel good" for the public vice providing any real additional protection. There are so many other things the TSA could do that would be less intrusive for the public and have a far better effect on safety/anti-terrorism.

But than the TSA would have to admit they were wrong and we all know that will never happen.

So far, we have heard dogs, profiling, strict profiling ala Israeli style, overseas screening and combination of any of the previously mentioned. Any chance that your suggestion is different from that ? I have nothing on you and your experience traveling/airport security. Unless I missed it, for which I apologize, I have not found any suggestion from you on ways to fix this. In a short few words, please tell us what you would do as the head of TSA. I think everyone on the side of this arguement will admit that TSA could be better but HOW do you make it better?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In a short few words, please tell us what you would do as the head of TSA. I think everyone on the side of this arguement will admit that TSA could be better but HOW do you make it better?
Sorry Clux, not going to talk specifics. OPSEC isn't just for the military.

Reports in the new are that most backscatter machines were shut down for today. If that is so, didn't the TSA just show that they aren't required? Or did they decide to compromise on the security of air travel in the name of expediency?
They were shut down at both the B & C concourses as well as at the interntional terminal in Vegas today.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I refused the scanner and got the pat down. The middle eastern looking TSA officer was surprisingly polite. He informed me he would only touch my "sensitive areas" with the back of his hand! I had to walk through the metal detector to get to the pat down and of course I did not set it off. While I thought the pat down was BS I was glad to see 2 things: the sailor in uniform behind me was only sent through the metal detector, and the gloves used to pat me down were checked for explosive residue.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Does anyone else think the complainant and defendant roles would be completely switched if this was instituted 3-5 years ago? Excepting the true libertarians and ALPA, I think we'd see Republicans defending this new practice and Democrats coming out against it.

Clux4

Banned
Sorry Clux, not going to talk specifics. OPSEC isn't just for the military.
Got it. You will not talk specifics but some of the policies will in fact be public knowledge right?
If OPSEC is an issue, then Israel is fucked. Granted we don't know everything else that they do, I think somethings are public knowledge.

Does anyone else think the complainant and defendant roles would be completely switched if this was instituted 3-5 years ago? Excepting the true libertarians and ALPA, I think we'd see Republicans defending this new practice and Democrats coming out against it.
You just hit the real issue on the head. The public out cry is single sided and political at best as was evident yesterday. The proposed everyone complied and went on their merry way. It is just funny that Mike Huckabee is crying foul against "their" wives, mothers, and daughters being molested. Republicans will justify the need to invade Iraq as a necessary cause "to protect the homeland" but then view TSA and their actions as detrimental. Even the former Homeland Security Chief was for the scanners, so it is not a Democratic or Obama administration ploy. Young men and women are overseas today doing their job to fight the enemy but people back home are complaining about taking shoe off and being patted down or going through an x-ray. I am sure we have bigger issues but my guess is that our privacy trumps all these.

I refused the scanner and got the pat down. The middle eastern looking TSA officer was surprisingly polite . He informed me he would only touch my "sensitive areas" with the back of his hand! I had to walk through the metal detector to get to the pat down and of course I did not set it off. While I thought the pat down was BS I was glad to see 2 things: the sailor in uniform behind me was only sent through the metal detector, and the gloves used to pat me down were checked for explosive residue.

Maybe he was Egyptian or Moroccan. I wonder what you expected. I guess some people expect TSA to be some rude, mean rent-a-cop look alike. These are everyday folks with a job to do. While they have a bad reputation as a group, my experience with them has been similar to what you described.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Got it. You will not talk specifics but some of the policies will in fact be public knowledge right?
If OPSEC is an issue, then Israel is fucked. Granted we don't know everything else that they do, I think somethings are public knowledge.
Yes some of it is public knowledge. However, it's much like they teach most of us during our military training, even if it is open source you do not talk about it becuase your position lends crediability and allows your opponents higher confidence in the validity of the information.

Don't you have some toilet paper to issue to a fighting Marine somewhere? Some Marine who is not a know-it-all REMF?

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I guess some people expect TSA to be some rude,
mean rent-a-cop look alike.

Most of the ones in Atlanta, Denver, Chicago, and New Orleans have been.
This was the first polite one I came across in my last 5 flights, but I guess it is in your best intrest to be polite to a person prior to grabbing their junk.