• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TS for USMC Pilots

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
In the VFA community everyone will need a TS/SCI, but I don't think it's accurate to say you'll have it before leaving Kingsville/Meridian/Pensacola. For the FRS you'll never need higher than Secret. In the Fleet, you'll rarely need higher (and the procedures to utilize it are a pain), but most every flight entails at least some secret material. I don't know of anybody actually getting read into SCI before the fleet, you just need to have the SF-86 done early so you can be eligible for it when they need you to have it. You'll also get certain clearances higher than that, but that's a different story and generally not appropriate for further discussion.

MasterBates

Read into SCI at the RAG for E-2s. Had interim secret, .nothing more at HSL rag.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
In the VFA community everyone will need a TS/SCI, but I don't think it's accurate to say you'll have it before leaving Kingsville/Meridian/Pensacola. For the FRS you'll never need higher than Secret. In the Fleet, you'll rarely need higher (and the procedures to utilize it are a pain), but most every flight entails at least some secret material. I don't know of anybody actually getting read into SCI before the fleet, you just need to have the SF-86 done early so you can be eligible for it when they need you to have it. You'll also get certain clearances higher than that, but that's a different story and generally not appropriate for further discussion.

Times are changing my friend. The days of waiting until the fleet for higher are over.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
While I applaud your motivation, please please PLEASE don't go to a school while in Pensacola. Work out compulsively, exercise your liver thoroughly, and chase the shit out of some skirt. This is probably the first and last time in your career that you'll get paid to do whatever the hell you want.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the guys on here envy you right now. Don't waste it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I applaud your motivation, please please PLEASE don't go to a school while in Pensacola. Work out compulsively, exercise your liver thoroughly, and chase the shit out of some skirt. This is probably the first and last time in your career that you'll get paid to do whatever the hell you want.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the guys on here envy you right now. Don't waste it.
But... but... but...etc. :D I hope to God that these kinds of people snap back to reality once they get established in PCola. I'm not sure whether these people are just overachievers or if they think that auditing some class completely unrrelated to their designator/MOS will help them make flag rank in 30 years. It's painful to watch.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

I took a couple of classes over at the AF spec ops schoolhouse at Hurlburt while waiting to class up that were actually kind of fun. Learning about stuff like insurgent warfare, the use of media in warfighting, and about what AF spec ops actually does was interesting. Plus it gave us a reason to spend the weekend in Fort Walton Beach. And it got me out of standing duty and working in the MOC.

That being said I also got roped into attending the CAOC users course. "Let's build an ATO for fun!" said no one ever. If they want to send you to the JAOC or COAC2C course, effing run the opposite direction.

Renegade One

None
If they want to send you to the JAOC or COAC2C course, effing run the opposite direction.
I'm just going to throw down a "disagree"...respectfully. Like it...hate it...disagree...whatever. The ATO is how Naval Aviation will "go to war" in any sort of joint/coalition construct for the foreseeable future. If you have no desire to know how that baby is born...so be it. If you'd rather go IA to some "sewer system reclamation team" instead of to a JFACC/CFACC staff billet...where your NA experience is actually used...to some extent...to build the next 1-2-3 days of air strikes/missions...do NOT go to this course. If you'd rather work in the world of air combat...go if you can.

I don't know if the Navy has been yet "smart enough" to assign an AQD to this skill-set...but shame on them if they haven't.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm just going to throw down a "disagree"...respectfully. Like it...hate it...disagree...whatever. The ATO is how Naval Aviation will "go to war" in any sort of joint/coalition construct for the foreseeable future. If you have no desire to know how that baby is born...so be it. If you'd rather go IA to some "sewer system reclamation team" instead of to a JFACC/CFACC staff billet...where your NA experience is actually used...to some extent...to build the next 1-2-3 days of air strikes/missions...do NOT go to this course. If you'd rather work in the world of air combat...go if you can.

I don't know if the Navy has been yet "smart enough" to assign an AQD to this skill-set...but shame on them if they haven't.

He's talking about going to this school when he hasn't even completed IFS...ie a pool ensign straight out of his commissioning source. This would be a great school for a mid to late 1st tour LT. An ENS who still hasn't figured out which way is up in a plane isn't even equipped with the vocabulary to attend a CAOC/CFACC/JFACC centric school.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, CAOC duty is pretty cushy compared to some other options "down range."

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
He's talking about going to this school when he hasn't even completed IFS...ie a pool ensign straight out of his commissioning source. This would be a great school for a mid to late 1st tour LT. An ENS who still hasn't figured out which way is up in a plane isn't even equipped with the vocabulary to attend a CAOC/CFACC/JFACC centric school.

I got roped into this course when I was there. It was prior to flight school, but I had come from Marine aviation C2. It made a lot of sense to me, but it was still a complete and utter skull drag. The guys I went with were even worse off. They didn't have an initial steer of any sort. If the USMC is paying to have Lts go there, someone is getting ripped the F off.

The only schools down there that I think are either cool or salient are Dynamics of Intl Terrorism, Responsible Officer Course (Follow-on to DIT, unfortunately didn't get to this one), and AMO school at Whiting. Other than that, work on your swimming and beer drinking.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

If the USN/USMC needs him to have this school for a joint staff billet, won't they send him to it then? And won't it be considered a good deal after having been on deployments and actually having responsibility? He's gonna brain dump all that stuff when he starts flight school, anyway.

I think Brett said it best... there's nothing career enhancing about an Ens/2Lt attending a random school that has nothing to do with one's primary job to pass time before initial training. He'll get promoted to O-2 in two years either way.

Renegade One

None
I expect you're right...was just responding to another's input.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor

I urge you to follow this advice. I like this new post rating system... When seven (and doubtless more later) winged folks agree with a statement about boozing/working out/chasing skirt in A-pool, you should probably listen. But then again, what do we know...:rolleyes: