• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TS Clearance Question

Pags

N/A
pilot
Keep a copy of your answers, those packets will get lost and you’ll have to start the process over again. Probably twice...
CONCUR! Keep your SF-86s so each new clearance/investigation is just an update and not a clean slate. Makes the work you'll have to do easier and even if you don't have your last input the investigator will and any deltas between the two packages (outside of updates) will draw scrutiny. Also, don't clear out your amazon address list too often as it can be helpful when you need to remember every place you ever lived. My last investigation was the first one that put all my college housing changes outside the window so it was a bit simpler. My overseas "address" from living in Sasebo base housing still got funny looks but such is life.

ATIS

CONCUR! Keep your SF-86s so each new clearance/investigation is just an update and not a clean slate. Makes the work you'll have to do easier and even if you don't have your last input the investigator will and any deltas between the two packages (outside of updates) will draw scrutiny. Also, don't clear out your amazon address list too often as it can be helpful when you need to remember every place you ever lived. My last investigation was the first one that put all my college housing changes outside the window so it was a bit simpler. My overseas "address" from living in Sasebo base housing still got funny looks but such is life.

....and hit print on your e-QIP as well (SF-86's are on the way out). Even though they say it's all electronic....never trust OPM (or medical with your records....go to Kinko's and copy those). Every 6 years if you hold a TS you will go through the process....and pray you have someone from OPM that understands civilian vs. Reseve work for the Navy. I am both and it's a royal PITA every 6 years (used to be 5) to explain ATIS the civilian that has a TS/SCI X/Y/Z...and ATIS the Navy Reservist that has been in and out of AD that also has a TS/SCI with X/Y/Z plus some 1/2/3's.

ATIS

Pags

N/A
pilot
....and hit print on your e-QIP as well (SF-86's are on the way out). Even though they say it's all electronic....never trust OPM (or medical with your records....go to Kinko's and copy those). Every 6 years if you hold a TS you will go through the process....and pray you have someone from OPM that understands civilian vs. Reseve work for the Navy. I am both and it's a royal PITA every 6 years (used to be 5) to explain ATIS the civilian that has a TS/SCI X/Y/Z...and ATIS the Navy Reservist that has been in and out of AD that also has a TS/SCI with X/Y/Z plus some 1/2/3's.

ATIS
Yeppers, if you dont like paper because it's the 21st century or you're a hippy or both you can always print to PDF (which is what I meant in my first one). Upgrades to gov't websites can often leave older files caught in data jail.

exNavyOffRec

Read the state.gov link again
I did and that is basically what happened to the first one, they were back in their home country and her parents were with her told her to sign the papers and everything would be fine.

No clue on the other one, but OPM said he wasn't

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Marines did Secret clearance stuff in TBS. Didn't do TS/SCI until jet advanced in Kingsville. YMMV.
Yep. And even though everyone in jet advanced got a TS, it was only actually necessary for hornets and prowlers, obviously now f-35. Harrier only needed secret.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I can't speak to the circumstances you are talking about. If the person did not do it voluntarily and with intent, it is not valid and can be challenged.

Renunciation of US citizenship can only be done in front of a US Diplomat abroad. The Diplomat must be convinced that the person is doing it voluntary and with intent. If OP lost citizenship, he/she knew he/she did it.

exNavyOffRec

I can't speak to the circumstances you are talking about. If the person did not do it voluntarily and with intent, it is not valid and can be challenged.

Renunciation of US citizenship can only be done in front of a US Diplomat abroad. The Diplomat must be convinced that the person is doing it voluntary and with intent. If OP lost citizenship, he/she knew he/she did it.

I am pretty sure she was just going off what her parents thought was ok, how many 18/19 year olds actually read something they sign, especially if the parents are saying it will be fine.

Mach1

Anyone here know how long it takes to for the initial security clearance for OCS to go through? I have had my paper work in for months now but a month ago I had to redo my fingerprints (they got lost) and yesterday I had to resign a couple forms allowing them to conduct the investigation because there was something wrong with my signature I guess. I have to have my clearance before I get my FINSEL, and was hoping someone had some insight on the time frame.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Unless things have changed you only need to be processing for a clearance to go to OCS, and by the time you leave be able to hold an interim Secret.

azguy

None
To all the up and coming guys that stress about clearances - they aren't that big of a deal. The Navy will generally make sure you have the right clearance and access level to do whatever they need you to do.

Keep your nose clean, pay your bills, avoid vacations to Russia or China, and it will all work out. The above gouge about keeping good records of addresses, roommates, and friends, is 100% true.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did and that is basically what happened to the first one, they were back in their home country and her parents were with her told her to sign the papers and everything would be fine.

What Hokie said, something doesn’t smell right with your applicant’s story NavyOffRec and I think they likely left some parts out.

For the OP it doesn’t sound like he will have any issues with his citizenship.

exNavyOffRec

What Hokie said, something doesn’t smell right with your applicant’s story NavyOffRec and I think they likely left some parts out.

For the OP it doesn’t sound like he will have any issues with his citizenship.

I do not know all the in's and out's of what happened as I didn't witness everything, I don't know the very end result, all I know is what she told me and that it was strongly recommended by the attorney looking into it that she return home and try to figure out there via the US consulate so as not to be here without the correct paperwork.

This type of think happens more than you think and often it is really just an admin fix, another pain was a kid who was born in Canada, both parents US citizens, rec'd a birth certificate from the hospital but never bothered to go and get a certificate of birth abroad with the consulate, so that delayed his entry into the USN.

rr-10

I’m starting to think the OP is a troll since he mentioned reddit...
not at all. I was just wondering because I've had mixed responses when asking about clearances on the military subreddits. They've mostly said that you MUST require a TS clearance and even a recruiter had said so.