• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trying competitive air

dav246

Hey guys, its just as it says in the title, after being only a little short on my PFAR for both my ASTB attempts(I got one left), I have decided to give the comp air slots through ground school a try as my last hope. I have done the contracting phase, etc etc, and I will hopefully be selected for Ground School this cycle. Things that have influenced this decision are my age and that I needed several medical waivers just to commision in the first place, and I spent an incredibly stupidly long time in DODMERB hell and shit was already starting to expire. My main goal is to be a Marine first and foremost anyway. I have read through this whole forum and clicked on anything that was related to TBS and Competitive Air, was just hoping for some extra advice or warning of what exactly to expect if I try for a comp slot in TBS.

Currently, I am getting myself ready fitness wise(280 as of last PFT), studying, and investing time into flight sims, video games, and Jantzens with the x52. I am also hitting a UAV simulator that came with the ASTB prep app like a crack addict.

Last edited:

kite

Beach FEX
At least for our TBS class, they packaged things like UAVs and ATC in with the comp air slot. Anyone who wanted comp air had it assumed to be their first choice, and that slot would only be filled after the UAV and ATC slot were filled, so just be prepared for that. Also, your company at TBS may not even have a comp air slot in the first place, so be prepared for that.

dav246

At least for our TBS class, they packaged things like UAVs and ATC in with the comp air slot. Anyone who wanted comp air had it assumed to be their first choice, and that slot would only be filled after the UAV and ATC slot were filled, so just be prepared for that. Also, your company at TBS may not even have a comp air slot in the first place, so be prepared for that.
I considered that too, and it does kind of feel like I have locked myself into a trap of sorts. But I also don't really have any better options.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I considered that too, and it does kind of feel like I have locked myself into a trap of sorts. But I also don't really have any better options.

You always have options. Competitive Air is not the way to go if you want to go to flight school.

I'd focus on knocking the ASTB out of the park. Get study guides, take the practice tests, and crush it. You're still going to have to get the mins on the ASTB for competitive air, and at TBS the scores matter for selection.

Once you do that, get an Air Contract. If you don't want to be a ground Marine don't go in with a ground contract. If you get in you'll spend a ton of time at TBS hearing this: " Hope isn't a COA."

dav246

You always have options. Competitive Air is not the way to go if you want to go to flight school.

I'd focus on knocking the ASTB out of the park. Get study guides, take the practice tests, and crush it. You're still going to have to get the mins on the ASTB for competitive air, and at TBS the scores matter for selection.

Once you do that, get an Air Contract. If you don't want to be a ground Marine don't go in with a ground contract. If you get in you'll spend a ton of time at TBS hearing this: " Hope isn't a COA."
My situation is manyfold. So, I already took the ASTB twice, and was just a little short on the PFAR both times. Meanwhile, I needed waivers to even commision in the first place, which will expire shortly. I spent like a whole year just getting through DODMERB hell and don't wanna go back there. I am also getting pretty old. Yes, flight is the dream. But I also want to be a Marine in general. Before I turn 30 preferably.

Last edited:

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Managing your expectations is key here. Competitive air slots often only appear because some motivator decided they actually enjoy the field and dropped their air contract to pursue something in combat arms. The norm is 1-2, maybe 3 slots for 300 2ndLts. The people I knew who snagged comp air were no kidding in the top 10% of the entire company.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
... Competitive air slots often only appear because some motivator decided they actually enjoy the field and dropped their air contract....
I never understood how someone with an air contract could go through OCS, then TBS, and then voluntarily raise their hand to go through Infantry Officer Course (IOC), before going down to P'Cola prior to API (I guess NIFE now?)

Probably same percentage of those motivators who drop air contracts as those who volunteer to kick themselves in the junk at IOC. ?

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
I never understood how someone with an air contract could go through OCS, then TBS, and then voluntarily raise their hand to go through Infantry Officer Course (IOC), before going down to P'Cola prior to API (I guess NIFE now?)

Probably same percentage of those motivators who drop air contracts as those who volunteer to kick themselves in the junk at IOC. ?
All depends on why they had an air contract in the first place. There was a time (2014-2015-ish) when it was far easier to get selected for OCS for Air as opposed to Ground. You ended up with a lot of people who really wanted to be Marine officers but were indifferent about being pilots/NFOs or even didn't want to be but were told they could always change to Ground at TBS.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

They told us not to be a FIGMAC, but honestly, that's what drove me through the shitty TBS days.

dav246

I know if I got one and survived those steps I sure wouldn't drop it.

Highlander51

I'll fly away O glory
My experience at TBS as far as comp air was concerned is that we had 2 spots available and 2 guys that wanted to go comp air. For the most part, my company had people that knew what they wanted to do. As far as prep is concerned, you need to pass the ASTB and tbh you need to do more than just pass if you want to be competitive. If it comes down to you and someone else for 1 comp air spot they’ll go with whoever has the higher score. Also, assuming you pass the ASTB, try to get an air contract, it will save you from having to do the whole comp air thing at TBS plus it’ll help keep you sane knowing that your days in the field are numbered. Other than that just enjoy the ride and good luck to you!

dav246

My experience at TBS as far as comp air was concerned is that we had 2 spots available and 2 guys that wanted to go comp air. For the most part, my company had people that knew what they wanted to do. As far as prep is concerned, you need to pass the ASTB and tbh you need to do more than just pass if you want to be competitive. If it comes down to you and someone else for 1 comp air spot they’ll go with whoever has the higher score. Also, assuming you pass the ASTB, try to get an air contract, it will save you from having to do the whole comp air thing at TBS plus it’ll help keep you sane knowing that your days in the field are numbered. Other than that just enjoy the ride and good luck to you!
Can you tell me what its like taking the ASTB in TBS? Like is it a "immidiately" kind of thing, or is there some form of advanced warning, will you take it in the morning or later on, etc.

Highlander51

I'll fly away O glory
Can you tell me what its like taking the ASTB in TBS? Like is it a "immidiately" kind of thing, or is there some form of advanced warning, will you take it in the morning or later on, etc.
They will allow you some time to study but you need to keep in mind you have other written exams at TBS that you'll need to pass so I would definitely recommend passing the ASTB before you get there. As far as taking the exam itself you'll be notified a few days out when you are scheduled to take the exam.

dav246

They will allow you some time to study but you need to keep in mind you have other written exams at TBS that you'll need to pass so I would definitely recommend passing the ASTB before you get there. As far as taking the exam itself you'll be notified a few days out when you are scheduled to take the exam.
So heres what I am thinking, in terms of all this: My first score was a 6/4/6 50. Then 6/5/6 51. I didn't do anything different except train on Jantzens and the UAV simultor on the prep app for roughly two weeks. Maintaining my brain cell count should not be a problem, I could even afford to lose a couple. What I really need is time to grind on the x52 HOTAS and get the UAV down to instinct. Thus, I am not really concerned about content overload when I get to TBS, because studying has already taken a backseat. Maybe I'll see if I can take it in the time between OCS and TBS. Also my PFT is 289 as of last week. I was told that also matters.