• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transferring from USAF to USMC...

akyeager

Oh, and I just found out I need one year retainability after I get PRK in the Air Force. That shouldn't be a problem as I am not planning to apply for another two years regardless.

Correction on this: Looks like it's 1 year retainability for AF aviators, 6 months for everyone else. Nice!

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Thanks for the excellent advice. I think my commander would approve the DD368.

One thing though... I am currently serving in Germany, and I don't know how I could apply from over here. My DEROS is December 2009, and I should have my degree finished by June 2009. I wanted to try and get the 368 approved before I left this base so that I would be working with a chain of command that knows me and would likely approve the form.

I know a guy who got an early out from the Navy to go to USMC OCS from Italy. I believe he got in contact with his hometown OSO, got everything lined up with his command, then took leave to come home, see his family, and sign paperwork with the OSO.

To show the OSO you're serious, maybe you could find a Marine SNCO or Officer in your area and ask them if you can participate in a Marine Corps PFT and get your score on record.

akyeager

Okay, I called a few OSO offices today.

SSGT from OSO office #1: Yeah getting a form 368 approved is totally up to your chain of command. If they did approve it you would basically enter into the PLC program, come out for 6 weeks in the summer twice, etc. Shouldn't be a problem being in Germany, I can try and find a Marine contact to set up a PFT.

OSO #2: There is no way to go from enlisted AF to Marine officer. You should try and commission as an AF officer first and then transfer over.

OSO #3: You need to finish your degree, put in an application package, and if it gets approved put the form 368 in for approval and cross your fingers.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Concur with the above. If that Office is willing to work you into PLC as active duty in another branch, and your command is willing to pay you to go play with the Marines for 6 weeks, twice, I would jump on it. That way you would get commissioned and separate from the AF about the time you finish your degree.

If you wait til you're done with school, and apply to the 10 week OCC you get it all done in one shot, but you would probably have to separate before reporting to OCS. That's no problem if everything goes well, but if you get broken or they shit-can you, you'll need to look for work.

AznDragonBoy

If you're still enlisted AF, I believe OSO #3 is the most correct and the best option. OSO #2 is also correct. But believe me! That's a harder process!

I delt with a lot of OSO offices. Most don't know the answers to usual situations.

phrogpilot73

If you're still enlisted AF, I believe OSO #3 is the most correct and the best option. OSO #2 is also correct. But believe me! That's a harder process!

I delt with a lot of OSO offices. Most don't know the answers to usual situations.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Go with OSO #1. Sounds like he's willing to work hard. OSO #2 is wrong. The DD-368 is a conditional release form, it doesn't matter if you're officer or enlisted. OSO #3 is partly there, but both #2 and #3 sound like they don't want to work very hard.

From a man who started enlisted in the USMC, wanted to be an officer in the USCG, and ended up as an officer in the USMC trying to become an officer in the USCG - trust me, it's much easier other ways. Stay away from OSO #2!

Rasczak

Marine
the 6 week PLC program is no longer an option. This is the last year that anyone will start Juniors. It's all 10 weeks from now on....Just so you know..

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It might have changed since I retired but it used to be that any service had to release an enlisted person to any other service if they were accepted for a commissioning program. It was a joint regulation or DOD instruction.

If this is still true, then when the USMC accepts an USAF enlisted person for OCS, than the USAF has to say "good luck, hope you do good" regardless of any service commitment to them.

Typically the paperwork discharging them from the USAF would be contingent on the paperwork enlisting/accepting them into the USMC. In my case, the paperwork discharging me from my Army commitment stated I was discharged upon commencement of active service with the Navy as an officer candidate.

When I was a DH, I had a YN2 accepted for Army WO pilot training. He was issued travel orders from the squadron to the Army base as a Navy guy with the same type of statement discharging him from the Navy upon reporting to the Army. Once we got a reporting endorsement from the Army, we sent a DD214 and discharge certificate to his new Army command.