• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transferring from USAF to USMC...

akyeager

Hey everyone, I'm newly registered here and am glad to find such a great source of info. Let me give you a little background:

I'm currently an enlisted Air Force ATC. I'm about to turn 23, and I am two years away from finishing my degree. I have always dreamed of flying, but during my time here in the Air Force I have become slightly disillusioned with my branch of service. Sometimes it doesn't even seem like I am in the military... Most of the people I work with are incredibly lazy, and do everything they can to do as little work as possible. this is also true of most officers I have noticed. This has made me look into transferring branches to earn my commission, if possible. Here is the plan:

1. Finish up my degree (approx. 2 years)
2. Get PRK done in the Air Force ASAP.
3. Submit a DD Form 368 for a conditional release from the Air Force into Marine Corps OCS

Has anyone ever heard of an enlisted member in another branch transferring to the USMC to become an officer? Also, I know that PLC candidates can get guaranteed Air contracts, what about OCC? Do you know which general area you are getting when you get accepted, or do you have to wait until the end of TBS to find out?

Thanks for you time.

snake020

Contributor
1. When is your enlistment up?
2. Isn't the USAF going to require you have a certain amount of retainability before giving you PRK?

akyeager

1. June 2012. Doing a 368 is my only chance of getting out before being too old to join the Corps as an officer.

2. I'm honestly not sure. I'll have to ask about it.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
I know of a couple people who have switched from the Navy to the Marines. It can definently be done. How much time do you have left on your enlistment? Getting the DD 368 may be a hang up; if it is, you may just have to wait until your enlistment is up. Good luck.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know of a couple people who have switched from the Navy to the Marines. It can definently be done. How much time do you have left on your enlistment? Getting the DD 368 may be a hang up; if it is, you may just have to wait until your enlistment is up. Good luck.

Navy to Marines and vice versa is a bit easier because it's within Dept of Navy (intraservice versus interservice transfer). Definitely worth giving it a try though as you have requisite motivation.

Speaking of motivation, if I were reviewing your package and read this statement or heard it from you in an interview: during my time here in the Air Force I have become slightly disillusioned with my branch of service. Sometimes it doesn't even seem like I am in the military... Most of the people I work with are incredibly lazy, and do everything they can to do as little work as possible. this is also true of most officers I have noticed.

That speaks volumes in and of itself. I would immediately send you to head of class. You will definitely know you are in the military in the Marine Corps! Good luck!

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Has anyone ever heard of an enlisted member in another branch transferring to the USMC to become an officer?
There's a prior AF guy in my squadron. He's now a 2LT in the Marines. You won't be the first.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Sure, it can be done with a DD368 if both parties are interested. Start talking to your local Marine OSO now, and notify your chain of your intentions. There is a very real possibility that the OSO has never handled a case like yours before, so he/she may not immediately know how to work it.

You can help yourself by doing the home work on the Air Force end. The Air Force may require more than a DD368 signed by your CO. In addition to the DD368, I had to request a conditional release through the Naval Bureau of Personnel, which was initialy denied, and required some massaging by my chain to get approved. Air Force policy will dictate your situation, but you need to do the leg work since your OSO really can't.

Other than that, show up in a sharp looking uniform, and be able to put up a good PFT when you meet with the OSO. I would definitely advise against bagging on AF officers in front of him though. You'll need their help to get released from your contract, and the OSO will probably not be impressed with you trashing your seniors.

akyeager

Sure, it can be done with a DD368 if both parties are interested. Start talking to your local Marine OSO now, and notify your chain of your intentions. There is a very real possibility that the OSO has never handled a case like yours before, so he/she may not immediately know how to work it.

You can help yourself by doing the home work on the Air Force end. The Air Force may require more than a DD368 signed by your CO. In addition to the DD368, I had to request a conditional release through the Naval Bureau of Personnel, which was initialy denied, and required some massaging by my chain to get approved. Air Force policy will dictate your situation, but you need to do the leg work since your OSO really can't.

Other than that, show up in a sharp looking uniform, and be able to put up a good PFT when you meet with the OSO. I would definitely advise against bagging on AF officers in front of him though. You'll need their help to get released from your contract, and the OSO will probably not be impressed with you trashing your seniors.

Thanks for the excellent advice. I think my commander would approve the DD368.

One thing though... I am currently serving in Germany, and I don't know how I could apply from over here. My DEROS is December 2009, and I should have my degree finished by June 2009. I wanted to try and get the 368 approved before I left this base so that I would be working with a chain of command that knows me and would likely approve the form.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the excellent advice. I think my commander would approve the DD368.

One thing though... I am currently serving in Germany, and I don't know how I could apply from over here. My DEROS is December 2009, and I should have my degree finished by June 2009. I wanted to try and get the 368 approved before I left this base so that I would be working with a chain of command that knows me and would likely approve the form.

Here's a site with some first person accounts that you might include in your fact gathering. You might want to contact an OSO near your next duty assignment as you'll be working closely with them.

akyeager

Why not contact them ASAP?

Will do. According to the marines.com recruiting site, people in Europe go through the New York OSO office. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow, and will report back with whatever I find out. Thanks for all the helpful responses!

akyeager

Oh, and I just found out I need one year retainability after I get PRK in the Air Force. That shouldn't be a problem as I am not planning to apply for another two years regardless.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...Has anyone ever heard of an enlisted member in another branch transferring to the USMC to become an officer?...

Well I guess its been answered already but...

In my OCS platoon we had a prior Army enlisted, an AF enlisted and an AF 2ndLt. All three graduated and became 2nd Lts. But I'm not able to tell you if the enlisted guys were done with their contracts or whatever.