• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transferring from one pipeline to another

PCHomerun_4

I was just curious about this...I read the book Airwarriors a few months ago and one of the pilots wanted to be an astronaut so he wanted to fly jets. At the very end it said he was assigned to helos, but is wanting to transfer. Also, if I read it correctly, one of the Blue Angels this year (event coordinator), flew an E-2 Hawkeye. It then says he completed the F/A-18 syllabus later on in his career. I was wondering, how hard was it for these guys to transfer?

MasterBates

Taking the Blues out of the equation, what you seek is found here:

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/Aviation/Warfare+Transition.htm

MILPERSMAN 1542-020 is what you need to read.

While not impossible, its not exactly easy to get picked up. BUPERS has to screen you and approve you. The community you are wanting to leave has to be willing to let you go. The community you want to go to has to have an opening/need for someone in your year group and be willing to take you.

Took 2 shots for me to get picked up for E2/C2. I was a SH-60B pilot before I got picked up.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was just curious about this...I read the book Airwarriors a few months ago and one of the pilots wanted to be an astronaut so he wanted to fly jets. At the very end it said he was assigned to helos, but is wanting to transfer. Also, if I read it correctly, one of the Blue Angels this year (event coordinator), flew an E-2 Hawkeye. It then says he completed the F/A-18 syllabus later on in his career. I was wondering, how hard was it for these guys to transfer?

It is called transitioning, not transferring. There are two types of transitions in the Navy and Marines, one is from NFO to Pilot and the other is going from one aircraft to the next.

Since you are talking about going from Helos to jets the latter would apply. There used to be two boards a year and they would select 10-15 pilots and NFO's (about 80-90% pilots) to transtion. They stopped having them for a few years because of all the S-3 guys transtioning but that should mostly be over so I imagine the boards are going again. A lot of it depends on your CO, he has to sign off on it and that is the biggest roadblock most of the time. If you have done well in your original aircraft you have a good chance of getting one. Interestingly, the other big factor is not that many guys put in for a transfer. Most settle into their original aircraft well and are happy, and don't want to start at the bottom again.

But don't be that guy who shows up and declares to his VP/VQ/VAW/HSL wardroom that he is just biding his time until he can put in for jets......those guys rarely transtion. Do well in your career and all possibilities are open to you, including transitioning.

Do a search too (transition), this topic has been covered.

MasterBates

Pretty sure the board has been back up and running for at least a year Flash..

Not sure why, but I'm pretty damn sure... :D

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
I could be wrong but I thought the events coordinator for the Blues is an NFO position. Maybe he is an E-2 NFO?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if anyone has ever transitioned out of jets to something else.

Yes, there were several in my first squadron. One was NPQ'd from jets halfway through his first Tomcat tour. The others were former A-6 and ES-3 guys, both planes had been retired.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty sure the board has been back up and running for at least a year Flash..

Not sure why, but I'm pretty damn sure... :D

Yeah, I wonder how you know that.........;)

And that is why they call me Flash..........:D

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I did'nt know that the events coordinator was a NFO. You pretty much answered the question. Thanks a lot.

Yea, the Event Coordinator does a lot of the behind-the-scenes work. I have the "Making of a Blue Angel" and the NFO puts in as much flying as the pilots. Well, desk flying that is.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I know of a Marine who went jets (hornets) to C-130's. Apparently he wanted A) Lifestyle and B) Better chances at the airlines.

I have no idea if those points are valid (I imagine they are), but that was what he said. And he is happy in the Herc now.

Jr KLR

Has anyone ever heard about making a transition before you get wings? I know they send some jet/E2/C2 guys that have trouble at the boat to P3 advanced, so could it work the other way around? I'm in P3 advanced, but wanted E2/C2, any hope?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone ever heard about making a transition before you get wings? I know they send some jet/E2/C2 guys that have trouble at the boat to P3 advanced, so could it work the other way around? I'm in P3 advanced, but wanted E2/C2, any hope?

What do you think? The guys who get sent to VP are mostly non-hackers. If you can't hack VP, you're probably looking at another designator. If it's that you just don't like the prospect of VP, suck it up and play the hand life has dealt you. The VP community is as fun as any other, and you really won't be in a position to objectively judge that until you get to your first fleet squadron.

Brett