• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer to another community (ie Rotary to Strike) after first assignment

thejimey

Hey Everyone, I'm sure this question has been addressed but I cannot seem to find much information on the topic. I'll be going through API and Primary later this year. My concern is that I may not be selected for jets because I know it is very competitive. Of course that is not my plan but I am just trying to cover all options and be realistic. What I would like to know is that after getting my wings and being assigned an aircraft, be it prop or helo or whatever, can you transfer to strike after a year or two of experience? Or will I "be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong" for the rest of my military career?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Whoa Cowboy...recommend you just focus on what's in front of you. But to answer your question, platform transitions can occur, but there are consequences.

phrogpilot73

Oh, the horror. You might not get jets. My advice is to just commit seppuku if you don't select jets. Flying anything else just wouldn't be worth it.

To answer your question - a lateral transfer is not entirely impossible, but you might find that you actually LIKE flying what you start off flying.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Everyone, I'm sure this question has been addressed but I cannot seem to find much information on the topic. I'll be going through API and Primary later this year. My concern is that I may not be selected for jets because I know it is very competitive. Of course that is not my plan but I am just trying to cover all options and be realistic. What I would like to know is that after getting my wings and being assigned an aircraft, be it prop or helo or whatever, can you transfer to strike after a year or two of experience? Or will I "be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong" for the rest of my military career?
I'm not even an aviator and I'm a bit offended by your post. That's a piss poor attitude going into a training pipeline and subsequent career you know nothing about.

thejimey

Now now hold on, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with helos or props. I'm just stating that jets are choice number 1 for me. Flying is what I want to do and not being selected for jets isn't going to push me away.

But thanks for the info guys

What exactly are the consequences, just kinda curious

yakboyslim

None
I don't really know anything about this but I imagine the Navy would not do this that often. Seems to me that the Navy would not be very interested in spending money retraining someone who is already trained when they have new people coming in who have no training. Can anyone in more in the know comment on the frequency that this type of thing happens?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Consequences are that you're going to take yourself out of the community you've been trained in and starting anew in an entriely different one. Besides the extensive time out from your regular career track for retraining, your quals that you worked so hard to acheive in your previous community will not mean much in your new one. So you're already behind timeline relative to your peers, which is whom you're competing against for screens, promotion, etc. "But I don't care about that," you may be saying, "I just want to fly." Doesn't work that way. The navy operates on an up-or-out system.

Transitions from one type to another are done - MB's gone from HSL to E-2's, for example - just not common. Usually the retraining takes the place of your shore tour; go from one JO Sea tour, VT's and RAG again as necessary, then back to sea with your new community as a Super JO. After that, it's pretty much impossible.

Just to add to the dogpile...you haven't even started API and you're making comments about being "stuck" flying something besides Jets? Shitty attitude, my man. You want to guarantee yourself a slot in something besides the Jet pipeline, just let a comment like that slip around one of your IP's. Your ATJ will get adorned with a great big red "THIS FUCKER GOES VP" note.

teabag53

pilot
Here's the deal as it applies to the Marine Corps (I imagine the general theme applies to Navy as well):

Yes, a transition is possible at some point. The catch 22 is that you won't get it by being the guy that vocally has no interest in being where he is (helos or props) as it requires reccomendations and command blessing. It also requires that said applicant is a solid performer with the quals, designations, and street cred to back it up. Keep in mind that a command has to invest a lot of money to get anybody those things and they might not appreciate the negative payback of leaving their community thus further complicating the matter. Also, not too many people want to go from hero to zero once they've proven themselves in a particular community...a person who thought they wanted jets might think differently after learning their community and earning their keep there.

In the long run, want what you want but realize you probably don't have the best picture of what each different community does and most people love where they are...not where they wanted to go.

Bloom where you're planted...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Okay, I'm not going to e-shit on you as IMO, it's good to have goals. I will say I was in the same boat many years ago. I wanted jets badly, very badly. I made the 50+ NSS cut but was drafted into E2/C2. I was very dissapointed no doubt. My goal was to attempt to transfer to jets as soon as possible. In training I got to fly the mighty T-2C Buckeye and one day, an E-2C flew down for a winging and I got to sit in the cockpit. Yep, was even more depressed as it isn't what I wanted. Yet at some point during my first tour while flying C-2's I grew to like the community....maybe not the flying so much (except around the boat) but I had a great bunch of JO's in that wardroom. I then decided that being a jet IP in either T-2's or T-45's would be good enough and had verbal orders to Meridian. Guess what? Those were taken away at the last moment and to the FRS I went and I hated it. However, even after a tough DH tour, I got to fly as an IP in the T-34C with VT-6 and it was an outstanding, fun, enjoyable tour. For my next tour, I'm going to Kingsville to be a T-45 IP. My hope and guess is it was worth the wait.

The point of my banter is that yes, folks can transfer (I know of two E-2 types...one went hornets and the other Prowlers) and a whole other set of challenges arise. However, you might just like what you do if you don't select jets. You might not even like flying upside down once you start flying 34's or T-6's. So my advice is not to worry about it right now. Do the best you can and it just might work out regardless. Remember, success isn't always doing what you want but what you have to do. Bunk out.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Now now hold on, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with helos or props. I'm just stating that jets are choice number 1 for me. Flying is what I want to do and not being selected for jets isn't going to push me away.

But thanks for the info guys

I think the point was that you have no idea what flying jets is like, and to keep an open mind about other platforms. Lots of guys hit primary and realize that something else is for them. Of my original primary class, I'd say almost everyone out of about 10 wanted jets on day 1, and by selection, only a couple of us put it down. Flying is flying man, just be glad to get the opportunity to do this!

jtmedli

pilot
Or will I "be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong" for the rest of my military career?

FAIL!! You just succeeded in insulting 2/3 (if not more) of Naval Aviation. If wings of gold by themselves aren't good enough for you then go take a seat slick.

Besides, the above is what Air Force Pilots do!!!! :icon_tong

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Perhaps you might want to consider that you essentially called every other community out there a "plane full of rubber dog shit" ...

Maybe that wasn't your intent, but that is certainly how it came across so you might want to make your statements with a bit more tact. Just some words that you might want to heed if you want to hang around here for very long.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wouldn't flying a plane of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong be the best job ever? I mean, you get to hop back and forth to HK. Sign me up.