• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer to another community (ie Rotary to Strike) after first assignment

marchbanksusmc

Gentlemen,
While reading this forum post was amusing in many ways it has failed to answer the question I am seeking. Is it possible for an NFO in the Marine Corps to request a transfer to become a pilot in the same or different airframe community?
I have found myself in a humbling situation. I completed PLC Jr’s last summer, and was slated to finish PLC Sr’s… well right now. The Navy Docs found stress fractures in my tibias… they dismissed me from OCS two days before pickup, with a favorable recommendation to reapply in writing coming from the CO of OCS. I will heal up, put in the paper work for a waiver, and reapply.
According to my OSO I am no longer eligible for attending PLC Sr’s due to the fact that I graduated May 1st of this year. I now have to apply for a new SNA slot in OCC. As most of you may know there are no more SNA slots available for OCC in the near future. Therefore I no longer have an air contract. There are 3 NFO slots slated for the January class. It is my desire to 1st of all lead Marines and become a Marine Officer, senond is my desire to fly(I never even thought that this might be as an NFO). I would rather be an NFO than not be in the air wing at all, but if it is an option to eventually have my hands on the monkey controls than I am curious as to when and how this transfer might occur.

To repeat what I have tried to imply, it is my desire to lead Marines and be in the Air community. I will be happy with any MOS or airframe that I am given the privilege to work in.

Thank you in advance for any wisdom you may be able to share.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes, once in the fleet there are boards for NFO-to-pilot assessions. However, they are not anything one can plan for. They depend on the needs of the Corps as far as numbers of NFOs and pilots. This year, as I recall, there were zero slots. Other years, there are 2 or 3. Whether there's a board during the time in your career that you would be eligible, no one can say.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Latter was really out of place (broke right first time at boat...old habits hard to break, on Det at Key West, stayed in room and ate noodles because he was saving up his per diem to buy new tires, went into overhead pattern over HMS Illustrious thinking it was mother).

Weird......can't speak to the 2nd or 3rd charges, but breaking right? I'd think that one would at least be second nature by the time he got out of TA-4's