• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Training

Trev82

pilot
bikerboy

So by jumping right into it you mean just following the workout of the day everyday?

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Good deal. Worst case - get a pair, get used to running in a pair, if they "dont let you have them", they're not gonna throw them away. If they take shit from you, it will just be locked up in a locker. But chances are you will still be able to use them at OCS. I cant imagine why not.

I did bring my Bates jungles that I'd been walking around in, and never saw them again after pickup. I assume they are still up there somewhere. :)

The moral of the story is, label your trash before you head to Quantico.

Trev,

First go here: http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php Some great articles. Be sure and read the articles about being honest with yourself and using proper technique.

Then, go to CrossFit and begin doing the WOD. If you haven't been doing this type of training you will need to scale the reps and weight down. Get the feel for doing this type of training (high intensity for a short period [roughly 20 min.] and high reps) before doing the WOD as prescribed. One of the great aspects of CrossFit is it's flexibility. You can use the program to fit into your schedule as you see fit. There is no hard and fast rule that you have to follow the WOD every single day. Do you what you feel is best.

If you have any more specific questions PM me.

Trev82

pilot
If i do decide to purchase some boots to break in prior to ship i've been hearing through the grapevine that getting steel toe is a bad idea, and you don't want to have those in quantico......cause i was thinking about the belleville 550st

Trev82

pilot
teufel

Yesterday i did my first WOD instead of the muscle ups tho did 120pullups/120 dips in 35mins...pretty sore but felt amazing after, and feel nice and sore today..:D

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I was wondering what some of you who have already been would consider adequate mileage per week for running prior to leaving for OCS.

I did a search but nothing came up.

Lawman

None
I was wondering what some of you who have already been would consider adequate mileage per week for running prior to leaving for OCS.

I did a search but nothing came up.

Running is going to be differnt for every person. First thing I could tell you is no matter how often you run dont run any less then 3-4 miles at a time (cause you wont there). Other then that run but dont run so much as to start breaking yourself down. Figure 3-4 days @ 4-5 miles your looking at 15-20 miles a week and that should build you up a nice firm cardio base to work off of. Unless your a routine marathon runner or College Varsity Track runner your not really going to go to OCS with that kind of running equaled in your civy workout routine so it will be a gut check but believe me I went in pretty sad shape as far as distance per run last year and if you just lean into it and suck it up it can be done so long as your in shape. At this point as I stated earlier if your already shipping out anything sooner then 2nd increment you really dont want to go messing with your training routine and beating on your self. If your in sad shape right now and you are shipping earlier then 2nd Id tell you go on to do a search for the 6 week OCS workout prep routine and hit that thing hard.

Important thing to remember is that working out just to pass a PFT is not gonna get you in the kind of shape you need to be there. You basically need to be the guy that finishes the PFT and then if you had to could get back out there and run it in with the guy that was puking/walking the last mile (dont laugh till you've been that guy it sucks and he knows it).

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Important thing to remember is that working out just to pass a PFT is not gonna get you in the kind of shape you need to be there. You basically need to be the guy that finishes the PFT and then if you had to could get back out there and run it in with the guy that was puking/walking the last mile (dont laugh till you've been that guy it sucks and he knows it).

I would like to reiterate and emphasize this. Starting out I trained to pass PFT's, and that worked. But, OCS is a different thing entirely. Train on hills, stairs, whatnot. Do fartleks if you can. If you have energy left, you're doing it wrong.

That said, don't overdo it and injure yourself, ending up like me.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Running is going to be differnt for every person. First thing I could tell you is no matter how often you run dont run any less then 3-4 miles at a time (cause you wont there). Other then that run but dont run so much as to start breaking yourself down. Figure 3-4 days @ 4-5 miles your looking at 15-20 miles a week and that should build you up a nice firm cardio base to work off of. Unless your a routine marathon runner or College Varsity Track runner your not really going to go to OCS with that kind of running equaled in your civy workout routine so it will be a gut check but believe me I went in pretty sad shape as far as distance per run last year and if you just lean into it and suck it up it can be done so long as your in shape. At this point as I stated earlier if your already shipping out anything sooner then 2nd increment you really dont want to go messing with your training routine and beating on your self. If your in sad shape right now and you are shipping earlier then 2nd Id tell you go on to do a search for the 6 week OCS workout prep routine and hit that thing hard.

Thank you for the response Lawman. I'm looking to go for OCC196. That being said I definitely don't have the attitude of just passing the PFT... I took one about a month ago with my OSO and scored a 292. The run is the only thing that is holding me back from that elusive 300. I'm currently running about 20-25 mpw with a long run of 8 miles or so once a week along with hill sprints about 2x a week and other various shorter runs. The run has always been my weakness and I just want to make sure I'm as prepared as I possibly can be. I guess according to your analysis I'm right about where I need to be. Hopefully in six months time I'll be able to drop my 3 mile time from 19:20 to sub-18:00...

Trev82

pilot
ryan

Hey ryan i feel ya man, i don't think i'd concentrate so much about getting that perfect pft as much as i would rounding out my strength, and cardio. I'm in the same boat you are scoring really high on my pft's but not cracking 295, i got selected for OCC 196 so im trying to prepare as much as possible. I think as long as i stick with my crossfit workout of the days (strength), doing my 15-20mpw(endurance), do some hill training(cardio), interval runs(speed), and maybe doing some light humps with boots (prepare my feet), memorizing your general orders, rank stucture etc, i should be on the right track. With six months to go i don't want to overtrain and get injured but slowly build up and maybe leave some time off at the end to recover and ship out.

just my .02

Lawman

None
Thank you for the response Lawman. I'm looking to go for OCC196. That being said I definitely don't have the attitude of just passing the PFT... I took one about a month ago with my OSO and scored a 292. The run is the only thing that is holding me back from that elusive 300. I'm currently running about 20-25 mpw with a long run of 8 miles or so once a week along with hill sprints about 2x a week and other various shorter runs. The run has always been my weakness and I just want to make sure I'm as prepared as I possibly can be. I guess according to your analysis I'm right about where I need to be. Hopefully in six months time I'll be able to drop my 3 mile time from 19:20 to sub-18:00...

Hell your pretty much there with the running. Id shift over to some more weight bearing excercises as you will do a lot of that at OCS and it can be a bit of a shock to the unprepaired (first time I did firemen carry it woke my ass up). Get a good bookbag and throw a couple dozen cans of tomatoes in it or something, put on a set of comfy boots, and go for a 4-6 mile hike. Make sure you hit a lot of hills on that hike. Do that combined with your normal running routine and yeah you'll be fine. It will also help develop your bones up to handle the weight and strain of OCS. Id also tell you to start poping calcium tablets, I eat the suckers like they are candy due to my low calcium intake and the fact that I refuse to break my foot again this year.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Hell your pretty much there with the running. Id shift over to some more weight bearing excercises as you will do a lot of that at OCS and it can be a bit of a shock to the unprepaired (first time I did firemen carry it woke my ass up). Get a good bookbag and throw a couple dozen cans of tomatoes in it or something, put on a set of comfy boots, and go for a 4-6 mile hike. Make sure you hit a lot of hills on that hike. Do that combined with your normal running routine and yeah you'll be fine. It will also help develop your bones up to handle the weight and strain of OCS. Id also tell you to start poping calcium tablets, I eat the suckers like they are candy due to my low calcium intake and the fact that I refuse to break my foot again this year.

I'll certainly start adding that to my training regime. One additional question if you don't mind. When I was an undergrad I was in Army ROTC and a member of the Ranger Challenge team. Every weekend in the fall we'd do a 10k ruck run finishing in just over an hour with a 30lb ruck plus gear, i.e., kevlar, lce, canteens, camelback, rubber duck...

Would you recommend doing any of this type of training or would you consider it overkill because of the increased chance of injury? I only ask because I've been told by one individual that they did do a few ruck runs while going through PLC.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Hey ryan i feel ya man, i don't think i'd concentrate so much about getting that perfect pft as much as i would rounding out my strength, and cardio. I'm in the same boat you are scoring really high on my pft's but not cracking 295, i got selected for OCC 196 so im trying to prepare as much as possible. I think as long as i stick with my crossfit workout of the days (strength), doing my 15-20mpw(endurance), do some hill training(cardio), interval runs(speed), and maybe doing some light humps with boots (prepare my feet), memorizing your general orders, rank stucture etc, i should be on the right track. With six months to go i don't want to overtrain and get injured but slowly build up and maybe leave some time off at the end to recover and ship out.

just my .02

I agree thats probably the best approach, no sense in getting injured when there is plenty of time to improve all-around. Though it would certainly be nice being able to show up and score a 300.

I think personally, I'm going to put off my studying until after August... my Army ROTC experience gave me a nice background for things of that nature so I'm not quite as worried about that aspect of OCS.

Lawman

None
I'll certainly start adding that to my training regime. One additional question if you don't mind. When I was an undergrad I was in Army ROTC and a member of the Ranger Challenge team. Every weekend in the fall we'd do a 10k ruck run finishing in just over an hour with a 30lb ruck plus gear, i.e., kevlar, lce, canteens, camelback, rubber duck...

Would you recommend doing any of this type of training or would you consider it overkill because of the increased chance of injury? I only ask because I've been told by one individual that they did do a few ruck runs while going through PLC.

You dont really do ruck runs, you just run in boots and utes with your "war gear" I.E. canteens and a web belt and LBV and your rifle. You arent going to run under serious load other then when you carrying another candidate during PT/CRT. The Load bearing is more to get your body used to the excess strain on your joints and muscles for when your doing a fitness hike (I.E. Force March) when your tired and sore and your endurance is starting to put more beating on your bones because the muscles are becoming exhausted. The longest gear run at OCS is the Endurance course and its not that long (4 miles?) and has lots of stations spaced out across it so your not just running it out your using upper and core body condition to overcome a lot of it.