• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Touch your toes?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dufault.2

I have a question for everyone. Do you have to be able to do a sit and reach to your toes during OCS? I have taken the PRT a couple of times and was only today told by my recruiter this would be a portion of the PRT in Pensacola.
Another question: If indeed this is a portion of the test, I need to put about 6 more inches on my reach before August 02 when I class up. I have never been flexible in spite of being in pretty decent shape. Any ideas/stratagies for a relatively quick fix? Any help would be appreciated.

GO BUCKS!!

I took Tae Kwon Do, so I did LOTS of stretching.
You really can't do anything but practice. If you're shipping out August 2, you'll be surprised how much constant stretching btwn. now and then will do for you. And 6 inches? For real? That's REALLY unflexible.
Anyway, just do it over and over until the threshold of unbearable pain, then hold it for at least 15 seconds or longer. And best of all, you can do it when watching TV, reading a magazine, whatever.

Pitz

FighterPilotManual.com
There is no requirement to touch your toes. The In-PRT and Out-PRT require sit-ups, push-ups, and running. That is all, but make sure you are in your best shape ever prior to arriving.

The best prepared will always prevail.

jaerose

Yeah, we were informed today at our collegiate training/PRT that the sit and reach isn't required now. It's still good to be flexible for injury prevention, though. I'm not terrribly flexible, but I can stand with my legs straight and put my palms on the floor. It's funny, when I had the athletics physical at my university...they told me my quads weren't flexible enough, but they didn't take into account that at the point they couldn't get it to go anymore...my hammies were touching my calves (I've got big legs), which has nothing to do with flexibility. On second thought, maybe you had to be there...

JR

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Pitz,

The touch your toes is part of the prt. You will do it at OCS and you will do it in the fleet. I just took my prt a couple weeks ago here in corpus and it was the very first thing we did.

Dave

PS If you cant touch your toes, just bend your knees a little.

dufault.2

Thanks for the (conflicting) info. It is definitely helpful none the less. I'll just assume that it will be required at some time in my training and work on it.

Vegita-yes, 6 inches-sad isn't it? I ran my mile and a half yesterday in 8:40 but couldn't touch my toes. I'm 5'11''-maybe if I wasn't 11'' of torso/head and 5' of legs...maybe if I had actually been working on it before today...

JR-for now, I just have my beautiful French maid clip them for me. I AM looking for volunteers to help me out during ocs/flight school. Should I consider you an applicant for this prestigious position? The company is good but the benefits stink. Get it, stink?

Ouch...tough crowd.
GO BUCKS!!

version2point0

i took tae kwon do too, green belt blue stripe, but i cant sit and reach worth a damn. never have been able too. is that bad?

-v2.0

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
The sit and reach is such a crappy test of flexibility and is bad on everyone's backs. I wish they would consider something more approprite for all of you. Some people can touch their toes and are NOT flexible and some who ARE never can touch their toes. Good luck to everyone with that "test" if it really does occur. If anyone needs any info about stretching certain muscle groups, feel free to PM me, I am in physical therapy school, so I have lots of good info on the subject that I could share with any who are interested!

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
It really does occur and is part of the Navy PFA instruction. And, after OCS you will have the opportunity to do it every 6 months. It was part of my Out PFA 3 months ago at OCS. Start stretching.

Let me get this straight, I'm assuming you're all talking about the SIT DOWN and touch your toes?
Again, I really would not be surprised if 2 months of constant "practice" got you to your toes.
One guy at my TKD place was a weight lifter before, so he had REALLY tight muscles. You'll be frustrated early on b/c of that, but later on, after some kinda "hump" you're performance will dramatically increase.
Just don't "bounce" as you stretch. Keep it smooth or you're muscle will get real sore real fast.

Oh and to version2.0:
if you're a green belt and can't touch your toes...how the hell do you kick over your head? :)

jaerose

Dufault,

I'll help you clip your toenails in OCS (teamwork...right), but not the way you want...I'll get me and a few other guys and we'll push on your back until you can bite them if you want =) Seriously, though...what kind of training are you doing to nail your run like that? That's the part that's killing me and I want to get my run down under 9 minutes as well. Any tips?

JR

HecLriv

http://www.mwr.navy.mil/mwrprgms/fitness/opnav_61.pdf

Enclosure 2, Page 1, Item 3.b(1)

Flexibility via sit-reach

version2point0

Originally posted by vegita1220
Oh and to version2.0:
if you're a green belt and can't touch your toes...how the hell do you kick over your head? :)

i can axe kick with the best of them, i cant hold the stretch if thats what you mean. i also bend my support leg at the knee to give the illusion mid-kick that it is going higher than it really is, but as for the forms, ive not had a form that requires an extended stretch of the foot above the head... yet... but thats probably why i gave up tae kwon do to focus on fencing. ive been doing that longer than ive been living :) anyone wanna fight with swords?

-v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.