• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TOPGUN and WTI: similarities / differences

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
First, I am not looking to make this into a dick measuring contest of Navy vs. Marines. Second, I realize this could easily turn towards secret stuff so lets keep the thread open and just talk generics.

So, with that said, for all the Hornet / Super-Rhinoceros guys out there:

What are the differences between the TOPGUN course and WTI course? Similarities? Have any of you guys ever done both, or know someone who has? Do you do A/A or BFM at WTI at all?

For background I am a Marine in the Navy RAG and complete with most of the syllabus. We have been exposed to a decent amount of the TOPGUN manual, but every once in a while I hear instructors say "But once you get out of here, the Marines will do it different." This mainly happens when we are talking A/G, or NVGs, etc.

phrogpilot73

From what I understand (not a FAG at all, but I've got a buddy in Beaufort whose done both), TOPGUN teaches you how to fight the jet. WTI teaches you how to fight as a package.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Since I am a big FAG and that seems to be important to say, I'll chime in. TOPGUN does focus more on the A/A portion of things as well as section and division employment. The WTI course is more A/G oriented and covers a lot more of the big picture kind of things. I don't know how much A/A the WTI course has in it, but I think it is very minimal. Most of the guys who have done both are Marines, but there are some Navy dudes who have gone through both courses as well. In the fleet, Navy guys use the TOPGUN manual while the Marines may reference it, but have other pubs to use.

KBayDog

You just HAD to get your shot in at my BOQ, didn't you.

I'm working on it, dammit!

Best guess is 2017 or so.

Whoa - I wouldn't take ownership of that POS BOQ. (Uness you have contacts in MWSS who has the keys to a TRAM and can level that bitch.)

2017? I'll be retired, but don't hold your breath on me being a project manager or something to rebuild that place. My days in Yuma are D-U-N!

(Funny how we can always seem to find money for CDCs, ball parks, paint ball courses, exchanges, etc., but we can never seem to find money to provide adequate/modern billeting for students of our "premier" school...that has been in existence for the better part of three decades...as well as the hundreds/thousands of transients who pass through for dets, ranges, etc. (I know, different pots of money, etc., etc. etc.))

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Whoa - I wouldn't take ownership of that POS BOQ. (Uness you have contacts in MWSS who has the keys to a TRAM and can level that bitch.)

2017? I'll be retired, but don't hold your breath on me being a project manager or something to rebuild that place. My days in Yuma are D-U-N!

(Funny how we can always seem to find money for CDCs, ball parks, paint ball courses, exchanges, etc., but we can never seem to find money to provide adequate/modern billeting for students of our "premier" school...that has been in existence for the better part of three decades...as well as the hundreds/thousands of transients who pass through for dets, ranges, etc. (I know, different pots of money, etc., etc. etc.))

Well, taking ownership of it isn't exactly an option for me. My instructions to the fire department were "if it's on fire, get the people out safely and let it burn to the ground". No such luck thus far.

As far as the money pots go, you have no idea.

KBayDog

Well, taking ownership of it isn't exactly an option for me. My instructions to the fire department were "if it's on fire, get the people out safely and let it burn to the ground". No such luck thus far.

Unfortunately, that cinder block construction would make for a nice hot fire, but I'm sure someone would determine that the structure could be refurbished.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll be taking the SOC at NFWS in July. We'll see how it goes.

Schnugg
USNFWS Jun '90

jtmedli

pilot
You left out solar powered stop signs. (Not making this one up folks.)

Have you had the pleasure of meeting the lady who is in charge of our 'environental' program here at Whiting? She briefed us during check-in and it was, to say the least, the strangest briefing of my life. The closing remark was, "Just remember guys, we're not inheriting the Earth from our ancestors. We're borrowing it from our children."....and then the chaplain gave us our 95th suicide prevention speech of the day. Supposedly those solar panels are saving 'us' a ton of money on electricity. I don't pay the electrical bill so I'll have to just take her word for it on that one.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
From the Marine RAG perspective, our syllabus and references for A/G are more oriented to WTI while TG is the go-to for A/A. I'd assume your fleet experience will probably mirror this since that is what is being taught on the Marine side of the house. Also you can probably expect much of your employment stan to come directly from the USMC F/A-18 TACSOP and whatever MAG addendum applies to your squadron. Not sure how this compares to the rest of my Navy counterparts in Navy RAG's/fleet squadrons....

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Have you had the pleasure of meeting the lady who is in charge of our 'environental' program here at Whiting? She briefed us during check-in and it was, to say the least, the strangest briefing of my life. The closing remark was, "Just remember guys, we're not inheriting the Earth from our ancestors. We're borrowing it from our children."....and then the chaplain gave us our 95th suicide prevention speech of the day. Supposedly those solar panels are saving 'us' a ton of money on electricity. I don't pay the electrical bill so I'll have to just take her word for it on that one.
Her closing remarks weren't strange given her politics. It was her job on base, that I found strange. Some combination of environmental coordinator/maintenance supervisor/supply person. She controlled what cleaning agents could be used on base as well as buying replacement lightbulbs.

And I have almost narrowed you down.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You left out solar powered stop signs. (Not making this one up folks.)

A stop sign is literally just a stationary piece of sheet metal. I wasn't aware it needed a power source, green or otherwise.