• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Secret Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecks

Do all Navy officers require a top secret clearance? Or is it just for some officers with specific jobs?

Undertow

It all depends on your job. If you're an ISO then yes, you'll more than likely need eyes only security clearance. I'm in the enlisted community however, my brother is an IS3 and his specific duties require him to have eyes only security clearance. I personally am an AE but due to the nature of my job I only have a secret clearance.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
All Naval Officers are commissioned with a Secret clearance.

schmuckatelli

You are not commissioned with a clearance. You get one if you need it once that need is determined (for pilots this is probably going to be in the FRS when you start studying weapons and tactics). Also, just because you have a clearance does not entitle you to look at anything and everything marked with that clearance rating. Access is different than clearance and you must have both in order to get your hands on classified materials.

Fatboy

pilot
All officers (at least line) have a secret clearance. You have to get one before your commissioned.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
ALL commissioned officers are granted a secret clearance prior to commissioning. It is a must in order to get the commission. If they are scholarship Mids at NROTC or USNA, they have a secret while in school, as they will go on cruise and be around certain systems.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not totally correct for NROTC. Your clearance for cruise is Interim Secret. You don't get a more permanent clearance until senior year. At least, that's how it was when I was there.

Schmuckatelli: My record says otherwise.

schmuckatelli

I think you may be confused between a final clearance vs. an interim clearance vs. being eligible for a clearance. When you go through a commissioning program you fill out the EPSQ. The information gets submitted for a NACLC (national agency check with local agency and credit checks). If the results of this investigation are favorable you are eligible for up to a secret clearance and a commission (temporary exceptions may be made for chaplains, attorneys and health care professionals entering the Naval Reserve - see SECNAVINST 5510.30A for all the gory details). You may be granted an interim secret as long as your initial investigation is favorable and you meet other requirements (outlined in SECNAVINST 5510.30A). To get a final clearance your command must submit a request to DONCAF which is the sole security clearance granting authority for the DON. If you have a final clearance there should be a copy of DONCAF's message stating this in your records.

This is not to say that it is impossible to get a final clearance prior to commissioning, just that that is not normally what happens since not many midshipmen and officer candidates "require access to classified information to perform assigned duties" (SECNAVINST 5100.30A, 8-7). Obviously those going to schools that teach classified material (such as intel) right after commissioning will need to get their clearances taken care of during their commissioning program but there is nothing classified in a T-34.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, that's just it, I have a copy of that message stating my final clearance in my record. All of us did that commissioned at NROTC Holy Cross.

JKD

NROTC has a longer training pipeline than some other commissioning routes (that may be the difference).

schmuckatelli's steps are what I've seen on the reserve side for DIRCOM applicants. (My guess is, it is the same for OCS)

The big difference between the Top Secret and Secret clearances is the scope of the background checks. Most (if not all) officers will have Secret Clearance. Only Intel/Crypto... most likely some others, due to the specific job... would require Top Secret.

schmuckatelli also addressed "need to know". Just because you have the clearance, doesn't mean you have access to all the classified data at that level. You still only get what you NEED. (Clearance vs. Access)

And... to answer the question that started the thread - No, not all officers will receive a TS clearance.

IS2 (USNR)

AZSkegee

Hey guys look at OPNAVINST 5510, that will shead light on security clearences. Stuff AZ's have to know for rating exams, also their are three classifications of clearences also ,hope that helps

AZSkegee

SECNAVINST , I meant to say, too much studying i guess i take my second class exam thur sorry for the wrong info

Ecks

Thank you all for the response. It is appreciated.
sonar_125.gif

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
If its any help, when you get to a squadron their will be at least 3 different accounts dealing with classified material: CMCC (classified material control center), CMS (communications security) and S-2 (intelligence) You will get to know them all as you stand SDO and have to sign off on the vaults twice a day. And the beautiful thing is: if you screw any of these up badly, you could be court martialled and have to go to jail (so take this stuff seriously!)

version2point0

woah, im confused now :) i am BDCP, active duty sworn in and commissioned. i havent done anything "official" with the navy yet (although the time is coming very soon for OCS). does that mean i have interim clearance or secret clearance?

-v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.