• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TOP GUN for NFO's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
airgreg said:
The latest tactic is for the E-2 to ram opposing jets with their 8-bladed prop. They switched to that, because the big white frisbee wasn't very accurate. :icon_tong

It's always funny to watch new guys close on you on the scope and ask if they can form as a section on you.

Our response: "Only if you don't want any more kids." Amazingly enough, their A/C track starts turning away...

It's lonely at the top, but the view is great. It's good to be the king, even if it takes wearing that paper crown from the local BK. :icon_king

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
It's always funny to watch new guys close on you on the scope and ask if they can form as a section on you.

Our response: "Only if you don't want any more kids." Amazingly enough, their A/C track starts turning away...

It's lonely at the top, but the view is great. It's good to be the king, even if it takes wearing that paper crown from the local BK. :icon_king
We get the same weird "respect" for our trons too. Whenever something isn't working, everyone thinks the Prowler is up to something. It's amazing what we get blamed for, but it keeps an aire of mystique around the A/C. I have seen many a nugget convinced that he got too close to the Prowler and should report to the Flt Surgeon for radiation treatment.

Good times,

Brett

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I heard that all the babies born to Prowler guys and gals up to a year after a deployment are always girls.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard that too (Road Program's theory, not the milkman one :icon_tong). One of my ROTC instructors was an HSL bubba who swore the same thing happened to them from serving on Aegis ships. Something about the shoes sometimes forgetting to turn the radar down when they came in to land, and the 'trons scrambling things which really shouldn't be getting scrambled . . .

Taxman2A

War were declared.
There actually might be some truth to that. The same thing is said for MUXsters who spend too much time around the TRC-170 in tropo-scatter mode.

Apparently there is some truth to the fact that if you are frequently exposed to X-Rays, you are more likely to have a girl, so why not microwaves as well?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Road Program said:
I heard that all the babies born to Prowler guys and gals up to a year after a deployment are always girls.
So the story goes. I don't know if anyone has kept any records on that kind of stuff, but it seems like everyone you know with kids has girls - very few exceptions. As far as the SPY-1D, I've known it to do some pretty fvcked up things. One of our Det's 60Bs had several rounds of expendables fire when they flew by the ship, and I've seen annunciator lights flicker at night on the helo without external power connected. God knows what that thing is doing to our nads. If you have any older analog camcorder footage from a carrier, you can hear the SPS-48 sweep by every few seconds too.

Trons are cool,

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a couple of Prowler guys who waited until a shore tour to try just for that reason

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Brett327 said:
What do you think the NFO does during an A/A fight, just enjoy the scenery? Yes, NFOs go to Top Gun.

Wha whaaa? During all our intercepts in flight school, I was only graded on how effectively I sounded off with witty repartie... i.e. "We're going head-to-head, I can't believe we're doing this"...

An above average student, of course, can take great polaroids ;)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Wha whaaa? During all our intercepts in flight school, I was only graded on how effectively I sounded off with witty repartie... i.e. "We're going head-to-head, I can't believe we're doing this"...

LMFAO!!! Classic! :D : :D :D :icon_mi_1 :) :icon_glas :icon_nav_

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do NFO's go to TOP GUN anymore? I would think not since from what I hear TOP GUN is for A/A combat which I would assume would then be all single seater planes. Anyone know?

Although sun is setting rapidly on Tomcat, majority of squadrons are transitioning to F/A-18F so RIO/WSOs are still going to be wearing the patch if they make the cut...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:

Of course, that's the difference between VT-86 and the fleet.

Brett

GeoffStahl

Former E-2/FA-18 NFO
Heard that also...

Road Program said:

... for E-2 guys, damn, 10 years later it is still true, my wife is expecting a girl. =)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
GeoffStahl said:
... for E-2 guys, damn, 10 years later it is still true, my wife is expecting a girl. =)

Tell that to two former squadronmates, both with three boys...

Maybe it's a matter of having shore tour kids once the "bent" ones are out of the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.