• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Took Riddlin as a child

jrflight

So will taking Riddlin as a child DQ me from getting an Air contract? What about childhood asthma even though I score a 275 on the PFT?

OBFR467

I made the mistake at MEPS of telling them that I was diagnosed with ADD in elementary school. It became a problem when I went to NOMI for my flight physical, but in the end, because of the fact that I had not taken it during all of college and I had a good GPA, the flight surgeon finally signed off on my physical without requiring a psyche exam. I had to get them letters from my former doctor stating that I had not taken anything in more than five years and for that reason, my medical records had been destroyed after such a long time. The flight surgeon needed to see that letter, police record check, highschool transcript, and college transcript. Point being: it won't necessarily disqualify you, but it will be a huge pain in your ass and cause for much additional paperwork. I have been told by many that perhaps I should not have ever mentioned it, as they would never have known otherwise. This would have been nice, but oh well.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You were the brunt of a lot of bad riddles? WTF?

I'm not overly pedantic, but come on, really?!

Lobster

I made the mistake at MEPS of telling them that I was diagnosed with ADD in elementary school. It became a problem when I went to NOMI for my flight physical, but in the end, because of the fact that I had not taken it during all of college and I had a good GPA, the flight surgeon finally signed off on my physical without requiring a psyche exam. I had to get them letters from my former doctor stating that I had not taken anything in more than five years and for that reason, my medical records had been destroyed after such a long time. The flight surgeon needed to see that letter, police record check, highschool transcript, and college transcript. Point being: it won't necessarily disqualify you, but it will be a huge pain in your ass and cause for much additional paperwork. I have been told by many that perhaps I should not have ever mentioned it, as they would never have known otherwise. This would have been nice, but oh well.

disregard anything I said

jrflight

If I may have been confusing, for those who don't know, Riddlin was a drug prescribed to people diagnosed with ADD or ADHD before aderal was developed.

OBFR467

I'm new to this site so I wasn't sure if it was kosher to advocate lying in any form, but I'm gonna have to second what kurtzie just said. All yes answers require explanations (aka: paperwork). It'd probably be in your best interest to let us be the last people you ever mention this little bit of your medical history to. I just wish someone had told me before I opened my mouth.

helolover

HeloLover
I am also wondering something along the same lines. I am currently in high school and have been diagnosed with Asperger's ssyndrome, a very hih functionig form of Autism. Its a very mild string. I'm currently on medication for it, but I don't really need it but my parents have given me no choice. I have been off of it for extended periods of time and have been just fine. Once i leave the house I will cease taking it for good. However, since I wish to get an Air contract I was wondering if I shouldn't mention it, or if I can get in trouble for this and it come and bite me in the rear later? Also, does attriting in flight school inhibit you from getting combat arms, such as infantry? If so, I wonder if I should just opt for a ground contract.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
^----

If you were directly asked (even in written format) you should answer truthfully. If it isn't asked, don't volunteer it. I'm sure the docs are smart enough to ask what is pertinent, so even if it is asked in writing, it is for good reason.

You don't want to get caught lying and completely lose all hope for a commission when maybe jumping through a few hoops to get where you want to go would have sufficed.

Lobster

^----

If you were directly asked (even in written format) you should answer truthfully. If it isn't asked, don't volunteer it. I'm sure the docs are smart enough to ask what is pertinent, so even if it is asked in writing, it is for good reason.

You don't want to get caught lying and completely lose all hope for a commission when maybe jumping through a few hoops to get where you want to go would have sufficed.

Sooner has a great point

BINGO

Fair warning to those applying and going through MEPS.

I'll make it short and simple.

I used Prozac for STRESS ( not diagnosed depression/anxiety ), no longer than 4 months. I was told by my recruiter to lie at MEPS and say nothing about it.

I made it through MEPS and didn't say anything. I went home that night and didn't feel right about my decision to hide information that would hang over me in the future. So I called my OSO recruiter the next morning and told him I wanted to be honest and do the right thing. Sure enough, I was disqualified and even NOMI said no without even giving me a psych eval.

Funny thing is, I've been passed by the Air Force for ROTC because I got a psych eval and showed them I'm not some person with mental disorders. I'm a great student, physically fit, have done a over a year in ROTC and do well. I do still want to be a Marine more than anything, but unless somebody decides to get the facts straight and help me out, I'm gonna have to stick with the Air Force.

I know that many would of told me to keep my mouth shut, but to me that doesn't sit well inside. Integrity starts at the door.

If anybody knows of a better solution to still persue this obstacle, I would appreciate it.

-BINGO

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Don't volunteer anything unless you think it holds an effect on your current and future physical/social/mental status and abilities.

If they ask, answer honestly, but if they don't ask, then it isn't important enough to volunteer unless applicable by the above statement.

Bad news does not get better with time but sometimes people voluntarily dig themselves into holes that are not necessary.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
OBFR67, kurtzie21,

What happened to your integrity?

BINGO...thanks for keeping yours. BTW, before you went to the dark side, did you get a new psychiatric eval for the Navy?