• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tons of questions, first post on the forum

brandon14

The greatest emphasis will be on grades, grades, grades. Without them, you won't commission. If I had a quarter for every socially and physically retarded mid I saw get through the program riding on grades alone, I'd have a case of beer. Don't get me wrong, keep up the hard work, just know that your Navy LT's will be looking for equal performance in other areas as well.

academically i still have a few choices to make.
1) I am still undecided on a major, im trying to find one that will help me in rotc, be useful when it comes time to get in the cockpit, and offers a challenging, but not overwhelming workload during college. (i am looking into Aeronautical engineering right now but am hesitant do to the comments i have read regarding its difficulty, also i dont know much about the careers that become available with this education. any insight is appreciated)
2.) i still have to figure out how i am going to fund school if the rotc scholarship doesn't happen.
3.) i still need to decide on some universities to apply to, so far im looking at Auburn University, Purdue, Jacksonville University, Embry-riddle (outrageous price though), westminster college, and I am still looking around online for more colleges with NROTC programs.

Brandon

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
academically i still have a few choices to make.
1) I am still undecided on a major, im trying to find one that will help me in rotc, be useful when it comes time to get in the cockpit, and offers a challenging, but not overwhelming workload during college. (i am looking into Aeronautical engineering right now but am hesitant do to the comments i have read regarding its difficulty, also i dont know much about the careers that become available with this education. any insight is appreciated)

I'm about 18 flights away from wings and I have yet to use my mechanical engineering degree in the cockpit. Maybe it will come in handy later in a ground job or something like that, but aside from being decent at mental math, it was as useful to this job as a Traditional African Dance degree would have been.

brandon14

I'm about 18 flights away from wings and I have yet to use my mechanical engineering degree in the cockpit. Maybe it will come in handy later in a ground job or something like that, but aside from being decent at mental math, it was as useful to this job as a Traditional African Dance degree would have been.
damn i was planning on minoring in Traditional African Dance, too bad. So If all of the Tier one jobs(engineering) dont do much to help with the career, are there any tier 2 jobs that come in more handy? Does it matter what major i choose when it comes to them deciding who gets NROTC, BDCP, SNA slots, etc?

brandon14

I signed up for the ACT, and I am having them send the score to the Naval academy,Auburn university,Jacksonville University,Purdue,and Kent state university. I think I want to go ahead and try for everything and see what happens( the academy,NROTC, and if necessary BDCP).

Also I was thinking about going and talking to a recruiter to see if he could help me get the ball rolling on applying for NROTC, and the academy. Plus I want to introduce myself and see if there is anything else i should be doing.

Do i need to go to a specific recruiter for officers?

nickman730

brandon

Auburn has a large NROTC department. If you live in AL call and make an appointment and use a college visit day from your school and go talk to them. Tell them you want to fly and get the application process started. As stated earlier, grades are number one. In the cockpit it makes no difference what your degree is, but to get the scholarship or pilot slot it can make a difference.

Steelman

Hi, Im new to the forum, some details, Im 21 years old, Bachelors degree in aerospace engineering, Private pilot licence holder, would like to know how to apply to US Marine Corps aviation slot?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hi, Im new to the forum, some details, Im 21 years old, Bachelors degree in aerospace engineering, Private pilot licence holder, would like to know how to apply to US Marine Corps aviation slot?

You need to either
1) Get in contact with a Marine officer recruiter in your district

or (if you are still early enough along in college)

2) Contact your school's NROTC unit and apply there

Either of these places will have the answers you need for your specific situation. Overall, here are the steps:

1) get accepted into some sort of a commissioning program

2) take a flight physical

3) take the ASTB

4) put together a package (application) for an aviation slot through your respective commissioning program (be it NROTC, PLC, or straight OCS)

5) go to OCS and pass

6) get commissioned

For the record, they aren't going to care about your private license (or whatever civilian experience you have). Aero engineering could be a plus, in that the military likes technical degrees, but if your grades suck, it will hurt you regardless of major. They care about grades, ASTB score, PFT scores, leadership qualities, and whether you are physically qualified. If you suck in any of these categories, now is the time to start getting better!

Steelman

You need to either
1) Get in contact with a Marine officer recruiter in your district

or (if you are still early enough along in college)

2) Contact your school's NROTC unit and apply there

Either of these places will have the answers you need for your specific situation. Overall, here are the steps:

1) get accepted into some sort of a commissioning program

2) take a flight physical

3) take the ASTB

4) put together a package (application) for an aviation slot through your respective commissioning program (be it NROTC, PLC, or straight OCS)

5) go to OCS and pass

6) get commissioned

For the record, they aren't going to care about your private license (or whatever civilian experience you have). Aero engineering could be a plus, in that the military likes technical degrees, but if your grades suck, it will hurt you regardless of major. They care about grades, ASTB score, PFT scores, leadership qualities, and whether you are physically qualified. If you suck in any of these categories, now is the time to start getting better!

Thanks for the info, hope it all works out. Peace

(i am looking into Aeronautical engineering right now but am hesitant do to the comments i have read regarding its difficulty, also i dont know much about the careers that become available with this education. any insight is appreciated)
I realize you posted this some time ago, but if you're still considering it:

On the civilian side, many of the graduates I know ended up as mission controllers for NASA, or structural analysis / test engineers for Lockheed, Boeing, Pratt & Whitney, Gulfstream, etc. When I first graduated, I was looking specifically for jobs working with automatic flight control systems / fly-by-wire.

As a graduate in Aerospace Engineering, I can tell you it is something you should only go into if something about AE makes you want to work in the aerospace industry. I DO have a former college roommate who was on a full AFROTC scholarship and eventually went on to fly B-1s. He needed a technical major for his scholarship and, thus, chose AE and survived because he was extremely sharp. He was the ONLY guy I ever came across who had zero intention to go into engineering.

In short, if you go into that sort of degree program without the drive to become an engineer someday, you will be miserable. We don't all end up working as engineers [myself included], but there's a part of us that wants to. If it does interest you, keep in mind it is a lot of work and at times difficult, but rocket science can be gratifying and is by no means impossible :)

Hope that helps.

Embry-riddle (outrageous price though)
I know this firsthand. Our average student debt upon graduation is somewhere above $50k. So, if any of you guys runs into one of us, don't take it personally if we say something along the lines of, "$30k in student loans? That's nothing..."

brandon14

its been awhile since my last post and i have a few questions.
Im in the process of filling out the nrotc application(just need to finish the essays) and tomorrow i have my interview for NROTC.
also the schools i picked are
Embry-Riddle(as long as i don't have to pay the outrageous tuition id like to go there)
Auburn university
University of Arizona
Westminster college---here is the problem, because westminster doesn't have an engineering program(it has aviation) so i dont know if i can go there if i put my major as aeronautical engineering???
and the last one is purdue university.

So here are my questions
1) what should i expect at the interview
2) should i switch out westminster college for another?
3) im stuck on the essays and could use some advice.
Thanks, Brandon