• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tons of questions, first post on the forum

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
I dont know whats going on with the forum but only for threads show up when i go into the "academy" section but from the main menu it says that there are 270 something threads, is it like this for everyone?

Make sure you scroll to the bottom and there should be a drop down bar that is labeled "Thread Viewing Options" Change it to "The Begining" to show all threads. Also try using the search function if you haven't done so already.

brandon14

Thanks for the heads up on BDCP, I just did a little research onit and it seems like a great option. Is this as competitive as the ROTC Scholarship?? It offers a great opportunity to make myself more well rounded, and it will be something to set a goal to keep me motivated during college.

One thing though is that It looks like if this is a no go then either is becoming an officer and having the military help with tuition, is this correct?

Thanks a lot everybody, Brandon

brandon14

a guaranteed spot at flight school.
Is there any websites with more info on it being a sure thing?

Also What career options do you have outside+Inside the navy with a Aerospace/Aeronautical engineering major?

Thanks again, Brandon

m26

Contributor
One thing though is that It looks like if this is a no go then either is becoming an officer and having the military help with tuition, is this correct?

No. If you are not selected, you can reapply every six months (or anytime you improve your package) until 6 months from graduation. Then you can apply for straight OCS (which does not help with tuition). There's also the other services, and at the present time I *believe* the Marines are offering student loan repayment.

Is there any websites with more info on it being a sure thing?

Navy.com, navy-officer.com, *cough* airwarriors *cough*. If you are selected SNA, you will become a Naval Aviator IF you keep your grades up, pass OCS, pass the flight physical, pass API, and earn your wings (maybe a couple other things, but the point is that if you are PQ, willing, and able, you will get wings).

brandon14

Thanks for the reply m26, There is alot of available information on this website so i'm going to read through as much as possible.

Brandon

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think that your school should be taken into consideration. Tier 3 for business? I think a Business degree at the University of Texas is not the same as a Liberal Arts degree at like your run of the mill college.

At least anything at UT also has a minor in party :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the heads up on BDCP, I just did a little research onit and it seems like a great option. Is this as competitive as the ROTC Scholarship?? It offers a great opportunity to make myself more well rounded, and it will be something to set a goal to keep me motivated during college.

This is something you alluded to earlier and no one has addressed. While a great deal, BDCP is much more competitive than ROTC for flight spots. OCS is used to fill slots that weren't filled through the Academy or ROTC. So once you have a ROTC scholarship, technically, it's less competitive than BDCP/OCS.

m26

Contributor
This is something you alluded to earlier and no one has addressed. While a great deal, BDCP is much more competitive than ROTC for flight spots. OCS is used to fill slots that weren't filled through the Academy or ROTC. So once you have a ROTC scholarship, technically, it's less competitive than BDCP/OCS.

I want to say the selection rate for pilots has been hovering in the 30-50% region for a while, and is substantially higher for those with 3.5+ and good ASTB scores. Plus, if you put SNA only, there's 0% chance of getting anything else.

Pardon the verboten question, but what percentage of NROTC grads get flight spots?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
OP, if you only want to fly in the military, then you should seriously think about choosing NROTC. As m26 pointed out, you will have a greater chance at becoming an officer, but what you do in the Navy will be up to the needs of the Navy first and foremost, and your preference second.

If you apply for BDCP, you pick the designator. Only want to apply pilot? Knock yourself out. The same goes for applying straight to OCS after graduating, although you won't get any money toward school.

So if you're okay with the possibility of driving surface ships or submarines, then go NROTC. If it's pilot or bust, BDCP or OCS is probably your best bet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I want to say the selection rate for pilots has been hovering in the 30-50% region for a while, and is substantially higher for those with 3.5+ and good ASTB scores. Plus, if you put SNA only, there's 0% chance of getting anything else.

Pardon the verboten question, but what percentage of NROTC grads get flight spots?

I have no idea. Your missing the point. Yes, if you only want pilot and only put down pilot, you should only get pilot, but that's assuming you get picked up at all, which is based on the rise and fall of what's needed that particular FY. There's SUBSTANTIALLY more SNA spots for the ROTC and Academy folks. Sure, it's a bigger group of people, but there's lots more slots, too. I don't know about the Academy numbers, but generally (notice gross generalization here) flight spots are plentiful for ROTC.

brandon14

Say I dont get the scholarship, Get accepted to say auburn university(still deciding colleges) and pay my way through college while attending rotc in order to be commisioned as an officer and get an SNA slot:
1) if i work hard will they eventualy offer me the rotc scholarship if i apply?

2) can i attend and comply with the ROTC requirements until sophmore year then apply for BDCP?

Anyone done either of these?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Brandon, you're a breath of fresh air. Please don't tell me you're 350 pounds or missing an arm or something. That would really harsh my mellow right now.

Definitely apply for NROTC. I think it gives you a good mix of competitiveness and school choice. It has the least pitfalls and affords the most fun. If you pass it up and don't get BDCP you're going to hate yourself. If you get passed over, then make BDCP your revenge.

Also don't rule out the Marine Corps and its NROTC option and PLC option.

brandon14

Brandon, you're a breath of fresh air. Please don't tell me you're 350 pounds or missing an arm or something. That would really harsh my mellow right now.

Definitely apply for NROTC. I think it gives you a good mix of competitiveness and school choice. It has the least pitfalls and affords the most fun. If you pass it up and don't get BDCP you're going to hate yourself. If you get passed over, then make BDCP your revenge.

Also don't rule out the Marine Corps and its NROTC option and PLC option.
Hah Nope I'm 5'9", 190lbs, benching 240,leg pressing 495lbs, and I have a eight minute mile.
I'm doing cardio five days a week to get better time + get in good shape, eating right, and lifting regularly.
I'm gonna make sure pt is the least of my concerns when i get commissioned, I don't want to put anything at risk for me or anyone around me just because I'm not physically prepared.

As far as the Marines go, I'd be proud to be a marine but i feel that the navy suits me best. Of course I won't let a good opportunity pass by if one is presented.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hah Nope I'm 5'9", 190lbs, benching 240,leg pressing 495lbs, and I have a eight minute mile.
I'm doing cardio five days a week to get better time + get in good shape, eating right, and lifting regularly.
I'm gonna make sure pt is the least of my concerns when i get commissioned, I don't want to put anything at risk for me or anyone around me just because I'm not physically prepared.

Trust me, you will be WELL above the average of your Navy option middie friends. That is definitely good, and will help you, but keep in mind that NROTC is not really a physically demanding program (compared to the Marine program at least). The greatest emphasis will be on grades, grades, grades. Without them, you won't commission. If I had a quarter for every socially and physically retarded mid I saw get through the program riding on grades alone, I'd have a case of beer. Don't get me wrong, keep up the hard work, just know that your Navy LT's will be looking for equal performance in other areas as well.