• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomorrow is the Big Day

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
I am hoping for something quick. Being active duty I had to have a commissioning physical done before hand. If I recall, I think my CO put my available date as "ASAP". If I end up being at OCS in November my wife will probably kill me, she already told me so. She is pregnant and due then and I missed our last child's birth while deployed to Iraq. She forgets what she married in to some days lol.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I am hoping for something quick. Being active duty I had to have a commissioning physical done before hand. If I recall, I think my CO put my available date as "ASAP". If I end up being at OCS in November my wife will probably kill me, she already told me so. She is pregnant and due then and I missed our last child's birth while deployed to Iraq. She forgets what she married in to some days lol.

You can take your paternity leave (your choice) from OCS. You'll take your 10 days, and if you have any additional days, you may be able to take those as well. You'll roll back one class, and move right along. Only downside, your graduation date gets rolled back three weeks. There was someone who did that while I was there a little over 2 years ago. So, my gouge might be dated, but most commands don't have a problem with you getting home to see your newborn child.

exNavyOffRec

It depends on your designator and the needs of the Navy. I know people that selected Supply in my OCS board, and they didn't go to OCS for another year (boarded in NOV, and they had to wait for the NEXT fiscal year to start up). So, be ready to go in three months (my case) or be ready to wait it out for a long while.

Very true, generally a person is only waiting up to 6 months, but sometimes due to goal changes and redesignations at OCS those that haven't gone to OCS will be slid, this is especially true of designators with small numbers.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
You can take your paternity leave (your choice) from OCS. You'll take your 10 days, and if you have any additional days, you may be able to take those as well. You'll roll back one class, and move right along. Only downside, your graduation date gets rolled back three weeks. There was someone who did that while I was there a little over 2 years ago. So, my gouge might be dated, but most commands don't have a problem with you getting home to see your newborn child.

I would hate to get rolled back but it may be an eventuality. She has family close by so it is not a major concern of mine, more so one of hers. I just want to get selected, go up there and complete OCS and the pipeline and hit the fleet. I am a BM1 that still has yet to hit a ship other than as a rider, a bit eager to get out and see what the Navy is really all about lol.

CTFly1

I would hate to get rolled back but it may be an eventuality. She has family close by so it is not a major concern of mine, more so one of hers. I just want to get selected, go up there and complete OCS and the pipeline and hit the fleet. I am a BM1 that still has yet to hit a ship other than as a rider, a bit eager to get out and see what the Navy is really all about lol.
BM1 without being stationed on a ship? That's miraculous!

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
BM1 without being stationed on a ship? That's miraculous!

I went straight to Riverines and extended out to 5 years there and then followed that up with my current recruiting tour. Not your run of the mill BM, hopefully I get selected cause I can't see a chiefs board ever taking me seriously having not been to a ship.

Just the other day the Officer Assistant Chief Recruiter (OACR) asked me to pipe at a retirement, told him I couldn't and I didn't own a pipe and lanyard if I could. All he said was "Boats!" and chuckled lightly and walked away shaking his head.

CTFly1

I went straight to Riverines and extended out to 5 years there and then followed that up with my current recruiting tour. Not your run of the mill BM, hopefully I get selected cause I can't see a chiefs board ever taking me seriously having not been to a ship.

Just the other day the Officer Assistant Chief Recruiter (OACR) asked me to pipe at a retirement, told him I couldn't and I didn't own a pipe and lanyard if I could. All he said was "Boats!" and chuckled lightly and walked away shaking his head.
It's unfortunate that sometimes the Navy treats different like it's wrong. I'm sure you've busted tail so far and done a lot of good things where you've been stationed. Hopefully the Navy, whether it's OCS or boards or whatever recognizes your contributions for what they're worth.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
It's unfortunate that sometimes the Navy treats different like it's wrong. I'm sure you've busted tail so far and done a lot of good things where you've been stationed. Hopefully the Navy, whether it's OCS or boards or whatever recognizes your contributions for what they're worth.

I think it will actually be a plus for the SWO board, Riverines gave me a lot of opportunities and leadership experiences that I would not have found elsewhere. I just hope they view it the same way. For Chiefs board purposes I could never be viewed as the SME like a Chief is supposed to be. If I don't get OCS I will probably throw in CRF package and convert to NC. I have busted tail and excelled at pretty much every billet and met every goal except gaining a commission which is how I made BM1 so fast.....and never been CAP'd either.

Seems you advanced pretty rapidly based of your profile information, good on ya. Hopefully our hard work pays off here come Monday or Tuesday or whatever day the rumor mill is conjuring these days.

CTFly1

I think it will actually be a plus for the SWO board, Riverines gave me a lot of opportunities and leadership experiences that I would not have found elsewhere. I just hope they view it the same way. For Chiefs board purposes I could never be viewed as the SME like a Chief is supposed to be. If I don't get OCS I will probably throw in CRF package and convert to NC. I have busted tail and excelled at pretty much every billet and met every goal except gaining a commission which is how I made BM1 so fast.....and never been CAP'd either.

Seems you advanced pretty rapidly based of your profile information, good on ya. Hopefully our hard work pays off here come Monday or Tuesday or whatever day the rumor mill is conjuring these days.
I won't be applying until the next round of boards. I will be putting in for SNA/SNFO/IW/INTEL/SWO. I finish up my BS in a month, so I have to wait for that. I have my package pretty much set to drop as soon as I finish up school. Hopefully no cross rating will be required for you. Good luck, boats.

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot
Well the good news is, results will be out SOMETIME this week :) As long as the results are positive, well worth the wait

exNavyOffRec

Very true! I can get additional experience and it should really round off my package for future boards lol.

The sad part is I wasn't really kidding, the NC's when you get to the CPO ranks gets very cut throat, I have seen more CPO's careers derailed, more CPO NC's taken to NJP then I did in my entire career in the fleet, it takes just one ACR/CR that doesn't like you to kill your chances for advancement or a decent billet.

ABM22

The sad part is I wasn't really kidding, the NC's when you get to the CPO ranks gets very cut throat, I have seen more CPO's careers derailed, more CPO NC's taken to NJP then I did in my entire career in the fleet, it takes just one ACR/CR that doesn't like you to kill your chances for advancement or a decent billet.
Well that explains why all the NCs I have ever known retired as 1st classes.....