• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To People That Have Recently Taken the ASTB

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Oh boy. Then a 5-15 second lag time would be HUGE, if the timer doesn't stop.

I'm taking it tomorrow. If it is a big difference (and I happen to "bomb it") I am going to request to take the paper version the second time. I would rather have an extra 300 seconds on the math section and have to wait 3 weeks, then get my score right away losing 300 seconds per 30 questions...

Now I may have a new question for my recruiter after the exam, "do you still offer the paper ASTB if your office has installed the computer version?" Damn, I hope it all goes smoothly so I don't need to do such a thing.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I kinda have a choice now whether to take the written with my recruiter (hour away, but can't take it for another month now), or drive up to Jacksonville (3 hours away, can take much sooner) and take the computer based. Not really sure what to do, because I've been studying all summer expecting to take it this Friday, and now I'm not able to. If i wait too long, I'll probably forget a lot, being that school starts up Monday.

I would think the spatial section would be completely terrible with longer load times. Not that it's hard, but you have to be pretty quick to finish it on time without a delay.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
The computers in our district are experiencing a lot more lag than normal while taking the electronic ASTB. By lag, I mean a long load time between questions.

I am curious if other individuals noticed the same issues while taking their test. I need to understand if this is a site issue or an APEX ASTB issue.

Thank you.

I noticed it... it's why my OAR= -4 ;)

cgoetz

That mean your eligible for the bomb testing squad or you could run out in front of the flag officers car and check for mines.;)

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Allyoucaneat & Atrickpay:

It's definitely worth taking the electronic version. The lag isn't that bad. You would spend more time bubbling in the answers on paper and then have to wait for your scores. I finished everything within the time limit no problem. You just have to keep up with your pace. If you have 1 minute per math question click something if you haven't answered any question within that one minute and while the next page is loading, jot down that question number so that you may return if time allows. I think there's enough time to do the dreaded spatial apperception section twice even with the slight lag.

Also, I'd drive 3 hours in order to not wait another month.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Allyoucaneat & Atrickpay:

It's definitely worth taking the electronic version. The lag isn't that bad. You would spend more time bubbling in the answers on paper and then have to wait for your scores. I finished everything within the time limit no problem. You just have to keep up with your pace. If you have 1 minute per math question click something if you haven't answered any question within that one minute and while the next page is loading, jot down that question number so that you may return if time allows. I think there's enough time to do the dreaded spatial apperception section twice even with the slight lag.

Also, I'd drive 3 hours in order to not wait another month.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably go ahead and make an appointment to get it done on the computer. Another advantage I see is that I have a tendency to skip bubbles or bubble the wrong number when i'm in a rush, and this seems like a nice way to avoid that.

EDIT: Quick question. Would you say there's a pretty decent balance of word problems to basic math knowledge? The marine gouge only has a few word problems, none of which are very complex, but the study guides seem to go a little deeper into word problems, which makes them take much longer. Thanks

BullGator

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I kinda have a choice now whether to take the written with my recruiter (hour away, but can't take it for another month now), or drive up to Jacksonville (3 hours away, can take much sooner) and take the computer based. Not really sure what to do, because I've been studying all summer expecting to take it this Friday, and now I'm not able to. If i wait too long, I'll probably forget a lot, being that school starts up Monday.

I would think the spatial section would be completely terrible with longer load times. Not that it's hard, but you have to be pretty quick to finish it on time without a delay.
Thank you. Went well.
The lag-time was not part of your timing (eg the clock stops). It was no big deal at all. The 3 hour drive is another thing. I drove 1hr and 10 min to get there and talked for an hour and a half with my recruiter about my application and other packet stuff (was the first time we actually met in person), but I couldn't imagine driving 3 hours; I would consider staying closer to the test site, maybe with a friend or a cheap motel...

edited:
Oh yeah, I got a 58, 7,7,8 which was a relief since I starting to worry mid-way through: they were "yelling" in the office during the verbal section (the entire section) and that is my weakest part of it (add the yelling and it's like I have ADD, I had to keep rereading the passages).
I also had plenty of time on every section. I had 1+ minutes after the math, 1- min on verbal, 2 min on mech, 1 min on spatial, 4+ min on ANT, and a wooping 10+ minutes on the final section-aviation supplimental. The lagging is no biggie, like I said. And the questions: you either know them or you are a good guesser like me...haha just kidding.

BullGator

Thanks for the advice. I will probably go ahead and make an appointment to get it done on the computer. Another advantage I see is that I have a tendency to skip bubbles or bubble the wrong number when i'm in a rush, and this seems like a nice way to avoid that.

EDIT: Quick question. Would you say there's a pretty decent balance of word problems to basic math knowledge? The marine gouge only has a few word problems, none of which are very complex, but the study guides seem to go a little deeper into word problems, which makes them take much longer. Thanks
I had test 5. The math was a joke in my test. Very easy. Can't remember the ratio of word problems to knowledge, but there were more of the later.

And Tyler was right, the computer version is nice, all in all. My computer froze before I even started, but it didn't freeze anymore once I actually started. And like I said 1 post up, the timer stops when it is lagging, so you can make mental notes during that time.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Great scores, grats! I might as well suck it up and get up there. I just want to get it over with, and if weather allows me to ride up there it won't be too bad on gas. Thanks for the info on the math and the timing, thats definitely good to know.

BullGator

Great scores, grats! I might as well suck it up and get up there. I just want to get it over with, and if weather allows me to ride up there it won't be too bad on gas. Thanks for the info on the math and the timing, thats definitely good to know.
I had that exact feeling. No doubt. This tuesday I felt, "I wish I were taking it Wed." Even during the test, it gives you an automatic 15 minutes after mechanical and I took a 5 min piss/ 5 more minutes eating and drinking, then said hell with the last 5 minutes I wanna get through this today.

Thank you.
I wanted to do better, but the guys in the office all said it was great. (I wanted to do better because my GPA is only 2.91 ...like I said though, I was happy with those scores after the verbal section. And hell, if it's not good enough it was only my first try.)

GL man. Are you gonna make an appointment soon? If you do it on the computer, I think they would be able to get you in there whenever you are ready.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I called up NRD Jacksonville twice today, 2 different people that my OR gave me, to make an appointment. I'm guessing the storm kept them out of work because I didn't hear back from either one. I'm hoping to get in there next Monday so I can just focus on it over the weekend for the last few days. I'll have to miss the first day of one class, but i'm going to have to miss a class either way since they only do it weekdays so it might as well be the first day.

This is the first major hurdle of many for the process and I just want to feel like i'm finally making progress.

BullGator

Atrick, where do you live?
I know there are officer recruiters in Gainesville, there should definitely be at least a few in Orlando...that's a college town. They are always in college towns. I guess it may be confussing how they divide the state into the miami district and the jax district.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Atrick, where do you live?
I know there are officer recruiters in Gainesville, there should definitely be at least a few in Orlando...that's a college town. They are always in college towns. I guess it may be confussing how they divide the state into the miami district and the jax district.

Yeah my recruiter is based out of the Army Reserve center near Orlando International. He got the plans mixed up with my test date and will be going to training next week, followed by being out of town. He said he will administer it when he returns, but I just want to get it done sooner. I was surprised that there wasn't an OR closer too, as there is one for every other branch only a few miles away.

BullGator

Yeah my recruiter is based out of the Army Reserve center near Orlando International. He got the plans mixed up with my test date and will be going to training next week, followed by being out of town. He said he will administer it when he returns, but I just want to get it done sooner. I was surprised that there wasn't an OR closer too, as there is one for every other branch only a few miles away.
Maybe you can ask a Marine recruiter. I know there are many in Orlando.

My officer recruiter is leaving Monday to P-cola for a week too. Must be some kind of a convention... It may be worth giving a shot to a Marine recruiter, just be honest with everyone and they are usually helpful. I'd call them tomorrow and ask for monday or Tue or whenever; if they can't until next Fri, I would just wait for your Navy recruiter to come back. --Remember this is just a possible suggestion, if you want it done right away. Either way, I doubt you will have to drive to Jacksonville.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I didn't even think about that, i'll see if I can get a hold of someone tomorrow. I'm assuming the results would go through NOMI and whatever so I wouldn't have to do any transfers / paperwork. If I end up having to go to Jacksonville it's not a big deal, i'm willing to shell out some gas money if it ends up helping me get selected. I just have a feeling if I wait too long and school starts to pile up on me then i'll see a drop in my possible scores. I guess i'm just trying to prevent myself from having to take it twice.

BullGator

I didn't even think about that, i'll see if I can get a hold of someone tomorrow. I'm assuming the results would go through NOMI and whatever so I wouldn't have to do any transfers / paperwork. If I end up having to go to Jacksonville it's not a big deal, i'm willing to shell out some gas money if it ends up helping me get selected. I just have a feeling if I wait too long and school starts to pile up on me then i'll see a drop in my possible scores. I guess i'm just trying to prevent myself from having to take it twice.
The ASTB is universally good (eg. in the computer) for the Navy, Marines, and USCG.
Might as well give the Marines a call and a brief explanation if the Navy isn't answering back this week. If you are willing to; what's the worst that could happen, them saying no? (I heard that before on AW, thought I'd throw it in.)