• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To OCS aspirants: This could be you.. I suggest all read.

UnusSupra

I'm glad I read this post. It helps fuel my fire! As per the prior enlisted that decided to quit, they were probably shitbags anyway, or maybe just really really confused. If anything, I can only see my prior enlisted experience helping me out. There is no doubt of my desire to earn wings, that is something I couldn't do as an enlisted grunt. The Corps only allowed me a chance to sit there and get shot at while Naval Aviators from jets to helos saved our hide! Being one week in and quitting is like kissing a woman and saying pussy isn't for you!

jtmedli

pilot
http://nyusn.blogspot.com/2011/06/ocs-prt.html

Looks like someone (or 9 someones for that matter) failed to heed your wise advice. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

I'll be the first one to tell you that plenty of people show up to OCS in piss poor shape and fail the PRT, but that little rant you just posted is a bunch of horse shit. One of the most physically fit guys in my class stress fractured bones in both legs and had to be treated for compartment syndrome. He stuck it out, kept his head held high, and will commission soon. And as for "rolled ankles"...I 'rolled' my ankle (read: damn near broke it) on a sewer grate and broken concrete hole around it 2 days before our IN-PRT. I went to medical, got an ankle brace and ibuprofen and ran on that shit 2 days later and out ran half the people in my company, not to mention doing 95 pushups and 140 crunches in 2 mins. BTW, I'm not a fast runner and I weigh 155lbs.

The stupid shit that is posted on that blog infuriates me. If he's going to post crap under the pseudonym of "NY Naval Recruiting" and associate himself directly with OCS/ODS/etc.. then maybe he should consider doing it in a professional manner and not opening up his little rant with the phrase "fat fucks" and lashing out at the general public. I'm no more thrilled with the rate of morbid obesity that we see all over the place, but I'm not about to put my uniform on and go around calling people "fat fucks" or making ridiculously judgemental (and quite honestly, BULLSHIT) calls about rolled ankles or shin splints. That type of crap has no business being a professional site associated with the Navy's Officer Programs and it pisses me to off to no end that I have to sit through brief after brief about being all PC or how my patch on my flight suit can't say anything even remotely funny because it might offend someone when this douchebag is posting crap like that on the internet for anyone to see.

If kids wanna show up to OCS unable to pass the PRT then good for them. They'll go home, DOR, or go to H-class until they can. As for my rolled ankle, he can kiss my 155lb white ass. Think I need to lose 20 lbs too you dick?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The blog mentions "Marine Corps Drill Instructors." I thought Navy OCS got rid of Marine DIs when it moved to RI.

TXSooner07

None
I'll be the first one to tell you that plenty of people show up to OCS in piss poor shape and fail the PRT, but that little rant you just posted is a bunch of horse shit. One of the most physically fit guys in my class stress fractured bones in both legs and had to be treated for compartment syndrome. He stuck it out, kept his head held high, and will commission soon. And as for "rolled ankles"...I 'rolled' my ankle (read: damn near broke it) on a sewer grate and broken concrete hole around it 2 days before our IN-PRT. I went to medical, got an ankle brace and ibuprofen and ran on that shit 2 days later and out ran half the people in my company, not to mention doing 95 pushups and 140 crunches in 2 mins. BTW, I'm not a fast runner and I weigh 155lbs.

The stupid shit that is posted on that blog infuriates me. If he's going to post crap under the pseudonym of "NY Naval Recruiting" and associate himself directly with OCS/ODS/etc.. then maybe he should consider doing it in a professional manner and not opening up his little rant with the phrase "fat fucks" and lashing out at the general public. I'm no more thrilled with the rate of morbid obesity that we see all over the place, but I'm not about to put my uniform on and go around calling people "fat fucks" or making ridiculously judgemental (and quite honestly, BULLSHIT) calls about rolled ankles or shin splints. That type of crap has no business being a professional site associated with the Navy's Officer Programs and it pisses me to off to no end that I have to sit through brief after brief about being all PC or how my patch on my flight suit can't say anything even remotely funny because it might offend someone when this douchebag is posting crap like that on the internet for anyone to see.

If kids wanna show up to OCS unable to pass the PRT then good for them. They'll go home, DOR, or go to H-class until they can. As for my rolled ankle, he can kiss my 155lb white ass. Think I need to lose 20 lbs too you dick?

Yea that one he posted was pretty harsh. I got some pretty bad shin splints after my dumb ass started running 25 miles/week on concrete, in terrible shoes, with bad running form. It had nothing to do with me being a lazy fat ass - in fact, it was me doing too much trying NOT to be a fat ass. Oh, and I weigh 160 so that wasn't really an issue. Oh well, karma is a bitch so he probably rolled his ankle getting up out of his computer chair after posting that.

IRfly

None
A couple of points:

1) OCS is hard. It's meant to be.

2) Some of the difficulty is completely arbitrary--a guy gets rolled because the DI doesn't like his face and zeros out his pushups at the in-PRT. He ends up with 12 and gets to spend another two or three weeks there. It sucks to deal with arbitrary, seemingly random difficulty that is completely, totally and utterly unfair. But if you can't deal with it, then you don't belong in aviation, cuz we get that shit ALL THE TIME. Your plane doesn't care how much you've studied and gravity doesn't give a shit how badly you want it. By the way, you're halfway between Hawaii and San Diego when some random part (out of a million parts) catches fire, and you've got oxygen for 15 more minutes.

3) The physical fitness part of OCS...sometimes bad stuff happens to your legs after marching around in your black Bates Lites for five weeks. I bet if they were brown we wouldn't have that problem :). Seriously, though, we had one lady in particular that I remember who showed up to OCS only able to do seven or so pushups. Um, you did know that you'd have to do pushups, right?

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I will say that watching people bitch and moan through OCS motivated me not to be one of them.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
He's got some good gouge, though. Just because he comes off as a bit of a blowhard doesn't mean his gouge is bad. YMMV, of course.
Eh it's really nothing different than everyone else's OR. He just has a glorified blog with a big head. Not that most his information isn't accurate, I just think people give him too much credit. Oh well it's all opinion..

jtmedli

pilot
He's got some good gouge, though. Just because he comes off as a bit of a blowhard doesn't mean his gouge is bad. YMMV, of course.

What gouge are you talking about? Here are the documents I need to submit your application and don't go to OCS out of shape and disgusting? That's not exactly gouge. More like common sense.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Second the shin splint thing. I didn't do cross country in HS or college, so no amount of running would have prevented the shin splints I got during OCS and am still getting (doesn't mean I didn't try though).

Jt, shouldn't you be studying EP's like the rest of us?

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
proper stretching and good running form prevent shin splints. running xc in hs or college will strengthen your legs but you can still get shin splints. i ran four years in HS and got pretty bad shin splints the first meet after a week of no stretching with light workouts(thanksgiving break). i would imagine it's different for everyone, but stretching for a good 15 minutes before and after running will most likely help.

TXSooner07

None
While we're on this shin splint topic, has anyone ever experienced them even when you're NOT running? Lately, I've been having what feels like pinching around my shins even when I'm sitting in a chair doing nothing. However, nothing really bothers me when I'm actually running. Not sure if it's just the muscles around the shins recovering or what. Given my prior shin splint issues, I'm hesitant to push myself too much knowing that OCS is 2 months away.