• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To OCS aspirants: This could be you.. I suggest all read.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I loved OCS.... Call me crazy. Somedays it was the suck, but the pain let me know I was quite alive and having fun a lot of the time.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
While we're on this shin splint topic, has anyone ever experienced them even when you're NOT running? Lately, I've been having what feels like pinching around my shins even when I'm sitting in a chair doing nothing. However, nothing really bothers me when I'm actually running. Not sure if it's just the muscles around the shins recovering or what. Given my prior shin splint issues, I'm hesitant to push myself too much knowing that OCS is 2 months away.

I had them a while back- wouldn't hurt while running but hurt like hell afterward. Massaging that thin muscle on my shin seemed to help a lot.

I loved OCS.... Call me crazy. Somedays it was the suck, but the pain let me know I was quite alive and having fun a lot of the time.

You're crazy.

croakerfish

pilot
I had them a while back- wouldn't hurt while running but hurt like hell afterward. Massaging that thin muscle on my shin seemed to help a lot.

You're crazy.

That could be compartment syndrome, which is where the connective tissue sheath surrounding the shin muscle doesn't stretch enough to accommodate high levels of blood flow during exercise, and restricts venous flow out of the muscle. This causes swelling, inadequate oxygenation of the muscle, and a LOT of pain if it gets bad. It's a lot more common in runners than in other endurance athletes.

Massage and STRETCH that muscle!

WhiskeyTango182

Haven't been to OCS but I do run marathons and still get shin splints... I'd hardly consider myself out of shape, fat, or over weight. Whomever mentioned the running around in the crappy shoes nailed it-- bad shoes are probably the biggest contributer to shin splints esp. for those with high arches. Make sure you have arch support (when possible), stretch your shins and do circles with your ankles. Pretty uneducated accusations about shin splints=fat fucks.