• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To OCS aspirants: This could be you.. I suggest all read.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Doing a random search I came across this:

http://navalofficercareers.com/ocs/confessions-of-a-navy-ocs-dropout/

It's about a guy who realized he made the hasty decision of becoming a Naval Officer. He ended up dropping OCS but leaves a pretty good description of how he got there and why he left.

It's a good reminder to make sure this is what you really want before you ship off to OCS if selected.

Being prior service I can say bmt is no fun at all and makes you think twice about why you are there. Having never been to OCS yet, but aspiring, I can say with certainty that motivation and determination will help you succeed, without it, you will have a long road ahead of you.

TheBirdy

pilot
Trying to psych out the competition Eagle? ;)

Haha in all seriousness though, I read this article a while back. Very interesting read. Bottom line is if you really want to be a Naval Officer and you're 100% sure it is what you want to do, that should provide you with the motivation to get through OCS. For me, being a Naval Officer and a Naval Aviator has been my dream and when I do go through OCS (crossing fingers) nothing within my willpower will stop me from getting my commission at the end of those ~12 weeks.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
My God, the comments section there must've been written by a pack of drunken monkeys set loose in a computer lab.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
In the "for what it is worth" file, "suggest" to those junior to you' "recommend" to those that are senior. Not a sermon, just saying ......

Fair Enough, Mods feel free to adjust the title. Wrote it while heading out the door. It was meant to say "All OCS enthusiasts read." Thanks for the catch..

My God, the comments section there must've been written by a pack of drunken monkeys set loose in a computer lab.

They all have "My branch is tougher than yours." syndrome.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'll be honest as I think this is a pretty cock weak article. Basically, because of this:

I dropped out of OCS after less than a week of being there.

WTF would he know of anything related to OCS having only been there less than a week?

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
His advice basically comes down to, "have the Navy as your only option and you'll have the motivation you need," as well.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
It's too bad the author's post here is gone since he had some further posts that were very informative and was a pretty good discussion. Much better then the monkey-crap-slinging session that those comments turned into at least. Yikes.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'll be honest as I think this is a pretty cock weak article. Basically, because of this:

I dropped out of OCS after less than a week of being there.

WTF would he know of anything related to OCS having only been there less than a week?

My sentiment exactly. The blind leading the blind.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok. OCS isn't that hard. There were times it sucked, but you put your big boy pants on and press through. Prepare yourself mentally that it will be tough, because it's supposed to be boot-campish. It will actually become fun being thrashed.

Absolute morons have made it through, so you can too.

Prepare yourself physically so that passing a Navy PRT doesn't cripple you. Don't go there fat and out of shape. You'll make yourself a target for extra attention.

my thoughts....