• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To go Nuke or not to go Nuke....do you have an option?

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
He is just a bitter nuke who got out of being a nuke by going STA-21, and now he has to talk like he is a bad ass. He is somewhat right though, but so are you. Officers don't spend the 12 hours after watch just "putzing around". They qualify (i.e. not sleep) because they are dirty NUBs (sorry that was the qualified bitter ex nuke in me). But they do get to learn how to fight a sub and do other "cool" things like sexual tracking party and reconstruct. If I wasn't selected for pilot and was still going officer I would not go back to a sub. Not because I hated it, because I loved it, it is because I wouldn't want to be EOOW. That is because I know what I did to them when I was standing RO. And as every good sub JO knows, even if he was prior enlisted, you are still not in charge as EOOW so you keep your mouth shut.
I have no idea what that means but it sounds either awesome or horrifying.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The best advice I can think of is to look at all of your options, but not the monetary bonuses, if it still seems like something you would want to do, then go for it.
Personally, I went nuke because specwar was out of the question since I'm a vagina when it comes to cold water. Being on a fast attack at least allows me an opportunity to be a part of those ops, even if it's on the more boring side of things. And if I get boomers, I guess I'll just ride it out till I can get a fast attack later on.

ELT(SS)

Personally, I went nuke because specwar was out of the question since I'm a vagina when it comes to cold water. Being on a fast attack at least allows me an opportunity to be a part of those ops, even if it's on the more boring side of things. And if I get boomers, I guess I'll just ride it out till I can get a fast attack later on.
You will make it then, I am afraid of the ocean, so that is why I went subs. If I get ocean on me on a sub, I am dying anyway.

That is what I was saying, but since I guess I didn't spell it out all long and drawn out like you did then there might have been some confusion. And I like how you make it sound so glorious to be on a sub. If you hadn't said you pulled into foreign ports I would have thought you were a boomer fag, because I don't know of any boat that had JO's in a 4 section rotation in the engine room. I loved being on a boat, it was the greatest job ever, but it was not near as "fun" as you make it sound.

And you never have 50 couples because one guy always holds out.

Look, life on a fast attack submarine is probably the worst quality of life out of any job in the Navy. You and I know that. We also both know that the level of talent and intelligent conversations that take place are also tops in the Navy and probably all of the military. The point is, if I am going on deployment, I am very happy knowing that I can have provocative conversations on a daily basis. Is life tough? Yes. Do people get on your nerves? Everyday. But you have 149 other guys going through the same rough experience so you have support when needed.

Did you have the opportunity to stand Officer Of the Deck on the surface or submerged? Bringing the submarine up to periscope depth? The feeling of being in control of a multi-billion dollar warship while conducting missions to vital national security? The sense of responsibility during your watch is such a rewarding feeling. I call that a lot of fun. I received the same sense of accomplishment as EOOW while fighting casualties. You cannot tell me that you did not enjoy kicking ass on a drill/real casualty that you trained so hard for.

I hate the term boomer fag. Those guys have their mission and they do it well. The negatives are that your mission is to punch holes in the water, you rarely travel to a foreign port, and you have minimal tactical training compared to fast-attack. The positives are that you have a much better quality of life and a very structured schedule.

As for the 4-section, it is actually becoming quite common. Captain's understand that the benefit is huge. With 18 hours off, JO's have more time to study, train, and do their jobs. The morale of the JO's also skyrockets. With so many JO's on board, why wouldn't they be 4 section?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
awolfinwater said:
We also both know that the level of talent and intelligent conversations that take place are also tops in the Navy and probably all of the military.

That is why I chose the multipiloted airframes, the intelligent conversations. On a long flight we talk about food, boobies, other people, other peoples boobies, hobbies, things that fly and things that go boom and sometimes we talk about boobies. I think I should look into the NUC transition if this aviator thing doesn't pan out. /sarcasm

A little full of yourselves and your "intelligence" aren't you? :icon_tong

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
We do talk about boobies a lot. That, and poop. Sometimes beer or sports. Not a lot of particle physics or Shakespere.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did a pilot just accuse someone else of being 'full of themselves?' :p

Yes I did.

Harrier Dude also pointed out some of the topics I forgot. Poop can be a fascinating subject sometimes. And farts too. On a tangent, If farts aren't funny to you, don't consider carrier aviation. You have outgrown the job.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Did a pilot just accuse someone else of being 'full of themselves?' :p
I love it....an Ensign with no experience trying throw shit at an experienced officer......

From your posts, I think you made the right choice of communities. You definitely would be a square peg trying to go into a round hole if you'd gone aviation.

ELT(SS)

I hate the term boomer fag. Those guys have their mission and they do it well. The negatives are that your mission is to punch holes in the water, you rarely travel to a foreign port, and you have minimal tactical training compared to fast-attack. The positives are that you have a much better quality of life and a very structured schedule.
Boomer fag is a term of jealosy. After going underway for the 290th day of the year, I would trade pulling in to Yokosuka, again, to be home 50% of the year. But again, I am going back. I have known quite a few sub to surface guys (Kidney stones for the most part) and all of them wanted back under the water.