• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To future OCS candidates...

jess8890

Thanks for all the advice. I do 100 crunches everyday and it takes me longer than two minutes. But, I am getting better. It seems like my torso is extremely long and I have such a long way to go that I end up doing a full sit up. I do the same as Huey Cobra and bounce my shoulder blades off the ground and come back up, and I do feel it in my quads when I am through. I will try keeping my head back because I do bend my neck. And it seems like I use my back muscles a lot to pull myself up.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Something else that will help out in the upper-body development is to find a high pull up bar or something similar. You can practice the method of jumping up to grab it, pull yourself up, throw the chicken wing over(loosen the grip with say your right hand a bit, and roll it forward to throw your right elbow over the bar and hang on your arm pit instead of killing your biceps), wrap your left leg over the bar, and lift up and then kick down your (right) leg down to flip your body over the bar. You will spin right over it and then end up hanging from it. I also reccommend learning how to stop on top of it so that you are laying on your stomach on top of the bar.

You will use this technique for several different things at OCS. For example, there are a few high bars that you need to pull your body over on the O-course. You will also use this method if you are performing the commando crawl and fall off of the rope. It is also a good excercise to build upper body stregnth. I am not exactly the strongest when it comes to upper body, but when it comes down to the throw-your-body-over-some-high-shit, I can hold my own.

I built up a lot of this kind of stregnth and it really helped to get me through some of that upper body stuff that would have killed me otherwise. The thing that people go "oh $hit" about when at OCS and thinking about how unprepared they were is that they never focused on training while fatigued. All the big muscle guys think that they can hand over hand up the rope in 6 seconds because they've done it a thousand times. They dont take into account how exhausted they will be after putting out 100% on the O-course. The only way to actually get up there is using the technique. Something that I did was do 15 or so pullups (flexed arm hangs), sprint a short stretch, sprint back, do another 15 or so pullups and then try to throw myself over the bar.

plc67

pilot
Reference a previous post, someone stronger than you hasn't made it. The difference being who wants it? I'll be willing to bet that todays OCC/PLC cadres,like their 1967/1969 predecessors, want to see

plc67

pilot
My computer decided I wast one when I wasn't, but the leadership will want you to show you'll gut it out no matter what. Stronger men than I didn't make it and weaker men than I did better than I did.

MaxRU

pilot
Thanks MasterHaynes!

We have a pre-OCS type weekend scheduled in April (provided I get selected to go....I find out in March) so I will definitley be attending that. My PFT score needs to improve a bit and I have been going to all the PT sessions plus working with other candidates doing sprint work outs and things. It's the crunches that I am having the hardest time with. I thought that would be my strength, but it's not. I have improved the most on the flexed-arm hang. So, all in good time. I appreciate all the gouge. It is kinda scary reading all the posts, anticipating what to expect, but I know that I just need to get there and experience it for myself. I am actually looking forward to it. :eek:

Jessica

When you go to mini-OCS, don't make a mistake of wearing something that will stand out. I wore a freaking YMCA sweatshirt and....well, one of the SI's remembered me enough to the point of calling me out every time he saw me, while I was in Quantico. And he wasn't even in my platoon OR company. Oh, good times, good times...:D

jess8890

Allright,I think I got it. I didn't think about doing it when I was fatigued. I always wait until I have slept a good night or am rested enough to run. I work nights as an RN so I will try doing a PFT one morning after I've been up all night. That should be fun!;)

NapalmRat

Don't psych urself out from reading everyone's experiences here either. Everyone who is in a different platoon, even down to a different squad, will have a different experience at OCS. Just prepare yourself as best you can and remain as flexible as possible with everything that happens there. Semper Gumby

Slammer2

Contributor
Side note - dont overextend yourself and actually get hurt. Just train while fatigued every now and then just so your body can feel it. If you get hurt then it will defeat the purpose.

NapalmRat

Slammer has a good point. I was only getting 250's to 260's on my PFTs when I was doing the OCS thing and I made it through just fine. Then there were people who had 300s and running times faster than mine who failed. What's the MCMAP motto? One body, one mind, one weapon? I'd rather be really hard to break under all the stress of OCS with a lower pft than a 300 PFT'er that has a fragile frame and fragile mindset.

MasterHaynes86

Slammer has a good point. I was only getting 250's to 260's on my PFTs when I was doing the OCS thing and I made it through just fine. Then there were people who had 300s and running times faster than mine who failed. What's the MCMAP motto? One body, one mind, one weapon? I'd rather be really hard to break under all the stress of OCS with a lower pft than a 300 PFT'er that has a fragile frame and fragile mindset.

same here... i went to jrs with an avg pft of 235 or so, but my base allowed me to keep going regardless of my mental and physical fatigue. I finished Jrs with a 268, i believe. It's plain and simple, the Marines are going to make Marines how the organization makes Marines. As long as you are on body, one mind, one weapon, the Marines will be able to take you from where you are to where you need to be and even beyond.

lots of good gouge, but Slammer, Napalm, and a few others have given the best of the best advice because it is so simple and affects every aspect of OCS.

Ric Hard

The boots are a must. I'm currently at OCS and the Bates Lites are a must. Also recommend the Danner boots. Great for the humps. Other then that don't come out for the winter session. It is freakin colder then crap here. Definately go for the summer session. If you have any other questions let me know. I'll get back to you on my next liberty. 1/2 way done now, but feels like an eternity.

Slammer2

Contributor
They are a lot lighter and make for easier running and climbing, but are definately not a must. So dont go out and buy any just because of this thread. I stopped using mine around week 6-7 because my foot went snap and they sucked for support. Only get them if you choose to, but definately not a requirement.

Good luck on the second half Ric.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I agree. I got the lights because I wanted to get a pair of boots early to break in and I figured since I was already going to be issued jungles and ICBs, might as well get something different. But they are definately not a must own.

I knew some candidates who owned Danners and they said they were by far the most comfortable and supportive on the humps...but they cost and arm and a leg, twice as much as the other boots.