• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To everyone aspiring to go into OCS: Why pursue military life vs civilian life?

Sonog

pilot
In college, I had nothing in common with the students I sat with in my engineering classes. Now, I am surrounded by peers with like interests and character, and its an awesome feeling. That was one of many reasons I wanted to join, and it turned out to be a good reason.

My father retired as a mustang LCDR in the Medical Services Corps after 25 years. The Navy made him who he is today, and he is my role model. Serving is my way of giving back to something that gave me so much.

Python

pilot
Contributor
How did your internal debate between joining the Navy and pursuing a civilian career go, assuming you had one? What sold you to join the Navy? Since, you have to be competitive to get into Naval Aviation, I am assuming every one of us are competitive enough to get a decent job in the civilian sector.

I am going to play the devil's advocate for a bit here. Why risk your life, give up a lot of personal freedom, and choose to be away from your family for extended periods of time when you could have a decent job, lot more freedom, room for advancement, and maybe more money in the civilian sector? As a young college student/grad, why do you want to spend your young year in the rigidity of military life when you could have the world for yourself?

Before, anyone tells me I should not be joining if I am not completely committed, I just want to say you really should analyze the pros and cons before making such an important life decision. I have been through this debate in my head a lot in the last 6 months or so and I have found myself completely committed to joining the Navy.

Try to be a civilian, and fly one of these:

051125-N-7241L-004.jpg

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I am going to play the devil's advocate for a bit here. Why risk your life... and choose to be away from family...
Because the U.S. doesn't live in a world full of unicorns and rainbows like college would have you believe. The U.S. has national interests abroad that conflict with other nations, and I like being able to contribute to keeping us on top. The job satisfaction of doing something that you know was important on deployment and the rewarding feeling from overcoming a challenging environment cannot be overstated.

I can't speak from the combat perspective, but when people are in a dangerous situation like putting out a major fire, people don't think about 'oh my god, am I going to die.' They think about doing the job that they were trained to do, and if they do it right then they'll come out a-okay. You'll work with a tight bunch of mostly smart, motivated people who will have each other's back. You won't find that in most corporate environments.
give up a lot of personal freedom,
What personal freedoms do you think officers give up? Since commissioning, I've lived in a privately owned house or apartment. Even the base housing is privately owned. When the boat is inport, I commute like any other civilian. The Navy makes sure I follow the law more than other companies might via mandatory drug testing, but that's really about the only difference 'freedom wise.' Moving? Yea, that does get old and it's part of the price of admission. But I also didn't want to spend my life living where I grew up, so moving was in my best interest. Perhaps you are referring to my inability to quit on the spot? Well, I have these things called bills and a family to support, so quitting any job on the spot is not an option. It's only an option for new high school and college grads who can always move back home with mom and dad.

when you could have a decent job, lot more freedom, room for advancement, and maybe more money in the civilian sector? As a young college student/grad, why do you want to spend your young year in the rigidity of military life when you could have the world for yourself?
More unicorns and rainbows.

The reality is that the job market is tough, wages are stagnant, and you are over-stating promotion ability. When I worked in corporate America, I saw plenty of people who were doing the same job after 15, 20 years. I didn't want to be them. I could have gone to night school to get an MBA, but I didn't want to be my boss, either, and I certainly wasn't bred to be in the executive class of business. There are not many civilian career paths where if you look around and do a better job than about 2/3 of the people around you, you WILL be promoted in about 4-6 years, and if you're not in that group then you will be shown the door. You will never hit a rank where the only people brought in above you are ivy league business school grads who did great things for another company.

Compensation as an officer is competitive with many similar leadership roles in the corporate world, maybe not in direct pay by itself but you also get a cheap family healthcare plan and a retirement pension if you make it to 20 years. While I never had to do reactor coolant pump testing at 0200 in the civilian world, my longest days in the military went by faster than my shortest days in the office.

That's not to say you can't make it in the civilian world at all. It's just that I have seen first hand that the idea that anyone who simply tries hard and does a good job will be making a generous salary in civilian employment is a lie. If you want to make the big bucks, you're going to have to find a niche for which you have an exceptional talent and also have charisma, which is often easier said than done. An undergrad degree and a summer internship doesn't qualify.

Last edited:

Grizzly757

Simply put, it is always something I have wanted to do but always put it off for what ever else was going on in my life at the time. I grew up in Virginia Beach, VA (right outside of Oceana Naval Air Station), the son of two sailors. The location alone put it in my head that the Navy was always an option. I ended up going to college, getting my BS. I though about joining then, but decided I might as well continue my course work and research and get my MS. I did that, kept a really great job (which I still have) working as a contractor for the Navy. Silly things like girls and projects I had going on at work kept the idea of joining the Navy on the back burner until just this last year. I thought about going in as a reservist.

The more I looked into the Navy reserves, the more I realized that what I really wanted was just to be in the Navy full time. At this point in my life (I am now 29) I had run out of excuses on why I shouldn't join the Navy. All I had left were reasons why I should. I should note that I am not joining for the money, for job security, or retirement benefits. I have a challenging job with a nice salary, but I am really excited to leave it behind for a new career in the USN.

I guess to really answer your question, for me it was just one of those things that I WANTED but never made time for. Now my time is running out, I feel like that this is the right time and place for me to apply. In the civilian life, you still have to work for jerks, meet ridiculous deadlines, get yelled at for things that are beyond your control, and in my case, get sent to the other side of the world at a moments notice. Will I be loosing some luxuries by joining? Absolutely. Will it be worth it? I think so.

Last edited:

gp360

I originally wanted to put in an OCS package after I finished college, but I found a solid job soon after graduation. After about 4 months of living the corporate lifestyle I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't stand the fact that I was spending my youth sitting in a cubicle making a fat paycheck doing close to nothing. I can't complain too much about the job I had after college since the hours were flexible and the money was great...but I felt like I wasn't doing anything worthwhile or contributing to anything. After playing sports and being pretty involved in college, living such a dull lifestyle was driving me insane so I decided to go ahead and put in the application.

Was it an easy decision for me to give up my fancy apartment, friends, relationship stability, and a nice 5k/month paystub? nope...but graduating OCS felt amazing, and I'm loving every minute of being an Ensign.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
that picture gives me chills :eek:
The launch is a piece of cake! If that gives you the chills, just wait until coming home. You're at 1500'/5 mi. final at night, and all you can see ahead is a tiny pinpoint of light bouncing up & down. Knowing that you have to land on that big motha' that you can't see under that little light... will really give you the chills (especially the first time)!:eek:
BzB

Renegade One

None
The launch is a piece of cake! If that gives you the chills, just wait until come home. You're at 1500'/5 mi. final at night, and all you can see ahead is a tiny pinpoint of light bouncing up & down. Knowing that you have to land on that big motna' that you can't see under that little light... will really give you the chills (especially the first time)!:eek:
BzB
"Busy Bee 604…Paddles…"

"Go ahead, Paddles..."

"You have to land here son…this is where the food is." ;)

Renegade One

None
This is the bottom line my man. Ages ago I flew a Hornet to my home town to go to a home coming party. Funny how nobody else had ten guys with their wives standing around them asking what it was like to be an insurance company executive.
Similar story…let's just call it "20th High School Reunion"…in Mess Dress Blue. :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is the bottom line my man. Ages ago I flew a Hornet to my home town to go to a home coming party. Funny how nobody else had ten guys with their wives standing around them asking what it was like to be an insurance company executive.
Best post on this thread... says it all!:D
BzB

mitrokhin

How did your internal debate between joining the Navy and pursuing a civilian career go, assuming you had one?

I have had a rather lengthy internal debate with myself. My mother joined the Air Force to get the GI Bill for college. She raised me alone and dad wasn't in the picture. And the YMCA took me in after my stepdad abused me for several years, which changed my life. My role model from there ended up joining the Navy. So that's another influence I suppose. That being said, my mom's health hasn't been the best lately, and she is the last person alive in my family. Heart trouble. So, there's that which is on my mind, but she is a strong woman.

But it isn't a question of whether I want to just join the Navy, rather it is whether I can convince myself that I have what it takes to become a leader. I have lost many nights of sleep pondering whether I had the testicular fortitude to lead by example rather than by way of my words, because actions speak so loudly that nobody will be able to hear what I am saying if I am fucking up. Bottom line is, I don't want to be a hard-ass, burnout officer who is just there to get the title and benefits of serving in the armed forces. I want to work alongside the brave men and women who make this whole operation work.

There has also been an ethical consideration - will I drop ordinance on the enemy if it is required of me? What kind of personal politics are involved culminating in my decision to join? My answer to this question came with only lots of time... I think that even if I choose not to agree with the policy of the U.S. government, it takes courage and commitment to do what is required, even if it means dropping bombs. A lot of that sort of inspiration came from reading books by Richard Feynman. Also, I would gladly give my life for the sake of the liberation of North Korea, given the opportunity, and, for that matter, for the sake of any cause the U.S. government considers to be important. Patriotism seems to be a tricky issue for me, but I think that being critical and supportive of the U.S. government is the most patriotic thing a citizen can do for his or her country.

Do I want to raise a family? I suppose not now. Well, my girlfriend of many years broke it off with me. Was engaged. It hurts, but needless to say I'm not the only person who goes through the motions. It's a part of the sacrifice, and I'm willing to take on something greater than myself.

What sold you to join the Navy? Since, you have to be competitive to get into Naval Aviation, I am assuming every one of us are competitive enough to get a decent job in the civilian sector.

My grandfather was a Naval Aviator, so hearing his stories certainly impacted my decision. I studied mathematics and Russian at my university, and as a teaching assistant to actuarial science professors, I could have easily gone into insurance clearing $70k+ a year. Yet, there is more to life than finances. The bottom line is that I don't fit in with the corporate world; I'm too rough around the edges, and I crave challenges. I don't crave prestige, and I don't believe in soldier worship. So, I certainly am not joining for boot reasons like wearing your NWU around everywhere. I want to serve quietly, drawing as little attention to myself as possible, and kick the fucking asses of the enemies of the U.S. government.

I am going to play the devil's advocate for a bit here. Why risk your life, give up a lot of personal freedom, and choose to be away from your family for extended periods of time when you could have a decent job, lot more freedom, room for advancement, and maybe more money in the civilian sector?

I want to give back to America what it has given to me. It is considerably likely that I would be high on drugs somewhere or in a ditch, but the government pulled through for my mother and me. I will give back ten times what it has given to me. It's my country, too, and I'm proud of her.

As a young college student/grad, why do you want to spend your young year in the rigidity of military life when you could have the world for yourself?

Some of us just get the call.