• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To everyone aspiring to go into OCS: Why pursue military life vs civilian life?

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Croakerfish pretty much nails it. As a recent retiree, I have transitioned to civilian employment, and can speak a bit about both worlds. In my mind, it is more about the intangibles. Yeah, I sleep in my own house every night now, but without a word of exaggeration, my time in the military was infinitely more challenging and rewarding than anything I can see on my horizon. The financial compensation may be better in the real world for folks in my line of work, but I would happily take the pay cut to again work with the motivated and dedicated professionals who make up the vast majority of the Navy and Marine Corps. There is a sense of camaraderie and a focus on mission accomplishment in the military that simply isn't there in the civilian sector. Don't simply focus on the dollars and cents aspect of a military career. When I was a flight surgeon, I was assigned to a Marine squadron. Every Marine, regardless of rank, was firmly convinced that the world would stop spinning if he or she did not do their job to the best of their ability. I'd give my left arm for half that attitude in the people I work with and for.
R/

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...but without a word of exaggeration, my time in the military was infinitely more challenging and rewarding than anything I can see on my horizon.
I've been out for a little over 7 years now and this statement is spot on.

TimeBomb said:
There is a sense of camaraderie and a focus on mission accomplishment in the military that simply isn't there in the civilian sector.
Not even close. I work with people whose offices are literally 50 feet around the corner from mine and I can go several weeks without ever seeing or talking to them.

TimeBomb said:
Every Marine, regardless of rank, was firmly convinced that the world would stop spinning if he or she did not do their job to the best of their ability. I'd give my left arm for half that attitude in the people I work with and for.
From what I have seen, most folks do just enough to keep themselves employed.

exNavyOffRec

When I would talk to sailors about getting out often I would hear "I want to be a civilian so I have the freedom to quit if I want to" many of my friends are civilian and have never been in the military, funny thing is they wouldn't "just quit", surprisingly people you owe money too like to be paid.

I think many are what Steve has described as "just enough to keep themselves employed"

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
How did your internal debate between joining the Navy and pursuing a civilian career go, assuming you had one? What sold you to join the Navy? Since, you have to be competitive to get into Naval Aviation, I am assuming every one of us are competitive enough to get a decent job in the civilian sector.
I'm probably a little unusual in that I have had a stable career for over a decade now, and I'm walking away from it to join the Navy. For me, it's for a lot of the same reasons others have mentioned: to conquer new challenges, to serve my country, and to have exciting/unique experiences. Although I love my job, the prospect of staying in my current career for the next 30-40 years isn't very appealing.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm probably a little unusual in that I have had a stable career for over a decade now, and I'm walking away from it to join the Navy. For me, it's for a lot of the same reasons others have mentioned: to conquer new challenges, to serve my country, and to have exciting/unique experiences. Although I love my job, the prospect of staying in my current career for the next 30-40 years isn't very appealing.
You now have the opportunity to serve... in a unique mid-life career, interesting work, people, & travel. On the other hand, you have much more to offer the Navy in education and experience, than the average early 20s college grad. Win-win situation all around.;)

Seems funny, you are starting your Navy career at the exact same age that I retired from mine.:D
BzB

jmcquate

Contributor
Lolwut. Ask a few more recent college grads how that's going. Speaking as part of the traumatized class of 2008, having my family on Tricare is huge. 8 year commitment? More like 8 years of guaranteed work. Nothing like looking back on a pregnancy scare when you're a graduate assistant making $1200 a month with no benefits of any kind besides free tuition and your wife just got laid off from her first job out of college after 8 months to make you appreciate how the military has your back.
Joining the Navy is the best decision I ever made. In terms of stability, advancement, compensation and job security, there's really nothing else out there that compares. That's not even touching the personal satisfaction of doing demanding work with a purpose, being part of a great team of motivated high-achievers, and moving around and seeing all kinds of cool stuff. Ask me again in 3 years, but for me the Navy has been nothing but upsides so far.

A lot of guys on here have a lot of gripes about lazy Sailors, PC bullshit, misplaced command priorities, promotion wickets and so on. It's all there, but it could be a lot worse. I've seen it be worse. I don't understand why everyone doesn't want to join the Navy.
The same PC bullshit, misplaced priorities and promotion wickets exist on the private side too. The real question is if you want to deal with all that doing some really cool shit..........or surfing the interwebs in a cubicle watching the longest 15 minutes of your life tick away at 5:45 every Friday.

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
I did two years with a good marketing degree in Houston, 2009-11, where the recession never really hit. It was awful. Even in a good climate, people want 10 years of experience, so there's little opportunity to start anywhere, unless you take a job that a high school sophomore is qualified to do. Nobody seemed to know anything about training, and everyone's the king of their little mountain.

Also, my dad once said that his only "regret" is that he never served when he was still young enough to do so. I understand his circumstances (mostly starting with me) never really would've permitted it, but I didn't want to be 45 and have that in the back of my mind.

I had the shot, there was no danger, so I took it.

While I may not have a naturally competitive personality, my drive to do my job because it's the right thing to do makes up for that. I get to learn a valuable skill, get plenty of time and opportunity to learn, lead, and do, and I can get myself on a good financial and experiential foundation to jump back into "real life" someday, without the fear of the unknown that comes with taking on a big project or being "the guy." I have a real purpose for which to give all I have, honest timetables to achieve clear goals, and the confidence and competence to handle the rest of my life in ways that I never could have before. I'm now married, own a house, and live in a place and do a job that I have dreamed of since I was a little kid - and could only have dreamed of without the Navy. I'm surrounded by people at the top of their game, with a level of camaraderie unparalleled outside the military (given my level of athletic ability).

The BS happens everywhere, but your response/reaction to it is what will determine your opinion of your life. Factually, if you're qualified, confident, and competent, the military is well built to provide you the opportunity to make your life something to be proud of, and for you to contribute in a unique way to the greatness of this nation.

If you do find that it's not for you, don't worry, because the military can only create a wall. Everyone else still has to conduct normal life and business for any of it to be worthwhile.

Gunfyter

There is something about being an Ensign and having retired O-6s+ tell you "I'd trade places with you and do it all over if I could."
I could never understand why everyone doesn't try to do this.

I would trade places with my son ... but that would be selfish. Its his chance now... but yes I would love to do it all again.

Ralph

I'm going to throw one more question at this, why not go reserve/guard? I know that option is only for the AF but seems to be a popular trend.