• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To buy or not to buy - Steyr AUG A3

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Yes, it's cold hammer-forged; I didn't know they made another kind. BZO went great (the trigger is indeed pretty good). I have a Omega 9" and Tangodown stubby grip on the way, now trying to figure out how to sling it. I'm pretty sure I'm going with a VCAS 2-point, the question is how I want to attach it in the rear (QD or not, rear receiver or buttstock).

utak

Magpul just came out with the new MS2 mission sling. It was about time to for me to get a sling, so I went ahead and ordered one.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Check out Gear Sector. http://www.gearsector.com/ They make some great 2 point slings and mounting systems.

The owner, Jason, really supports the troops as well. He busted his ass getting my son set up before deployment and since he wasn't sure if he would be issued an A4 or M4 Jason threw in one of each adaptor and mounting system for free. Fantastic personal customer service.

Like Nick, I really like the Daniel Defense rails as well.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I rejected the MS2 as another high-speed 1-point but on second look it'll secure as a 2-pointer. Hmm. Dammit, I'm trying to resist the temptation to bling the gun out (as I put a rail on it), but Magpul does make some good stuff.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I have several of Larry Vickers' slings, and they are absolutely top notch. I deployed with the original version last year, though I didn't use it exclusively, I did use it almost every day. For someone who wasn't out patrolling, but still had to lug the boomstick around with and without body armor, it's a great choice. My only gripe was that, with a lot of 'furniture' attached, the sling was a little bit too narrow to be really comfortable without armor. They must have read my mind, though, because there's now a wider, padded version out, and it's freaking awesome. I have one for my own AR and one for my M4 at work.

If you buy one, though, I would go for the original style adjuster, which is machined from aluminum, vice the cheaper injection molded one. The difference is made pretty clear on BlueForceGear's site.

The only other sling I used was a 1-point with a QD for convoy ops. It was a little easier to manage if I had to get out of the truck in a hurry.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I rejected the MS2 as another high-speed 1-point but on second look it'll secure as a 2-pointer. Hmm. Dammit, I'm trying to resist the temptation to bling the gun out (as I put a rail on it), but Magpul does make some good stuff.

I have a couple of KISS ARs with standard plastic handguards. Every now and then when I want to mount a light on one of them I use a couple of products by Midwest Industries. They make a short (2 inch I think) and a long (4 inch) version. They are standard pickatinny rails that bolt (allen head bolts) on your handguard through a couple of the cooling holes. It's plenty sturdy enough to mount a light. Zero movement although I wouldn't mount an optic that way for obvious reasons. When you have one mounted you don't even notice it most of the time, and anyway I take mine off unless I want the Surefire mounted.

VLTOR makes a great little flashlight mount that when combined with one of the short rails above is about the most effective way I've found to de-bling my AR but still maintain the ability to mount a light when needed.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=93

http://www.vltor.com/vltor-mountables.htm

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I went back and forth on how to mount lights. I deployed with an issued light that came with a grip switch and mount, but I won't do that again. Too many nights watching, for lack of a better term, negligent discharges with lights. As it was, I only lost my night vision on my way back from the piss tubes, but I can just imagine the grunts, stacked outside a building, and someone trips their light. Instead, I've gone to an offset mount that mounts to my rail system and puts the end cap of my light within easy reach. Mine's made by Vltor, but Daniel Defense makes a pretty nice one, too. Along with several other manufacturers.

I'll see if I can take time enough away from company to post a picture later.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Instead, I've gone to an offset mount that mounts to my rail system and puts the end cap of my light within easy reach. Mine's made by Vltor, but Daniel Defense makes a pretty nice one, too. Along with several other manufacturers.

I'll see if I can take time enough away from company to post a picture later.

That's what I do too. Just push the on button with your thumb. Nice and simple.

Here's VLTOR's http://www.vltor.com/images/mounts/mountedOCG2SM-800x600.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
^Yep, that's exactly the one I have.

Sorry no picture from me today/night. My buddy showed up with beer, 'Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot,' and a garage manufactured version of MagPul's B.A.D. So we installed the Battery Assist Device on my AR, drank his beer, ate the ribs I smoked today, and played 'Killer Bunnies'. Sorry.

lmnop

I deployed with an issued light that came with a grip switch and mount, but I won't do that again. Too many nights watching, for lack of a better term, negligent discharges with lights. As it was, I only lost my night vision on my way back from the piss tubes, but I can just imagine the grunts, stacked outside a building, and someone trips their light.

I go with a tailcap switch as well, but regardless, these do the trick for the problem you describe: http://www.surefire.com/FM23-Infrared-Filter