• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To buy or not to buy - Steyr AUG A3

FLY_USMC

pilot
I have shot an AUG before, they take a tiny bit of getting used but after that they are great. With all the mass essentially being at the back of the gun....as opposed to out in front of you like with a long barrell...they are very well balanced. And lets be honest, $2300 is a pretty good price. I've also shot the MSAR STG-556 and it too is a great weapon, and substantially cheaper at $1700ish...but it's still a gas gun. I thought I wouldn't like the trigger on the MSAR dry firing it....but ended up liking it alot. Ergonomically both are a little weird, but you get used to them. Again, just buy one of everything, you'll be happier.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Well, I decided to ditch the euro-trash and get an AR.

Plan A: buy a Bravo Company or LMT upper and BCG....whenever I can get one in stock. Marry to a generic lower .....whenever I can find one. $1200 + lots of wait time.

Plan B: lots of places have the new Daniel Defense M4 in stock. Reportedly high quality and comes with a modified Omega rail. $1600 out of pocket + instant gratification.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I'm tempted but not sold on pistons. I'd rather spend the 500 premium on a RDS, a X300...or ammo.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well, I decided to ditch the euro-trash and get an AR.
You made the right choice ... if you are gonna' have "several" ... I'd opt for an AUG as a follow-on choice ... but if you're lookin' at one or two or three ... go w/ the one that "brung ya'" ... i.e., go for a USGI look-alike, go for the AR.

utak

Wanted to throw this bone into the "wanting to pay good $ for an AR" thread.

I said a while back that Paul Howe, is publically endorsing the LWRC brand of AR and that he was working with them to create a custom rifle, the CSAT M6A1-S.

I noticed a surge of these rifles popping up on gunbroker of recently. I don't think I can link pictures or auctions here, but a search on gunbroker will have these guys come up easy. The stuff he has on it, which relies much more on practicality then "uber-tactical-cool", puts my vanilla M6 to shame.

Anyone who is a fan of collector rifles, or wants to pay premium for an AR, should look into this.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Well, I finally put it all together. I picked up an RRA lower locally pretty quickly for a very decent price, and then spent forever trying to find a quality upper. Finally settled on a Noveske Recce upper. The result:

rifle.jpg

About $150 over the list price for the Noveske Recce, which isn't bad at all, and about $200 under the gunbroker price for the complete rifle.

Going to go BZO it this weekend, I'm thinking of putting a rail on there so I can mount a stubby VFG and eventually a light; no optic for now.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Well, I finally put it all together. I picked up an RRA lower locally pretty quickly for a very decent price, and then spent forever trying to find a quality upper. Finally settled on a Noveske Recce upper. The result:

rifle.jpg

About $150 over the list price for the Noveske Recce, which isn't bad at all, and about $200 under the gunbroker price for the complete rifle.

Going to go BZO it this weekend, I'm thinking of putting a rail on there so I can mount a stubby VFG and eventually a light; no optic for now.

Nice! I would go for the whole quad rail if you are thinking about putting a rail on your your handgaurd.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I like the mid length gas system too. I've never had any problems with carbine length but IMHO the longer sight plane helps with accuracy. That and you have more room to hang stuff of the front rails LOL

utak

Noveske's good stuff man, does yours come with their cold hammer forged barrel?

If you want a great rail, I suggest the Daniel Defense Omega. Free floating, easy to install, no pernament modification to the weapon (in other words, don't have to remove the D ring), and flexibility - you can easily swap the rail/handguard out depending on your needs.

They've got several models, regular 7.0 carbine, another 7.0 for pistons, but there's 9.0 inchers for the midlength gas system.