• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To all Naval O's

jitiola

Tengo La Camisa Negra!!!!
Greetings folks!!

First post on aw, been on awhile, but this is my first post. I'm heading to SUNY Maritime in Bronx, NY this fall and plan on taking NROTC as a CP, then hopping on the scholarship train. Before I start this journey towards my dream of being an officer I just wanted to throw some questions out for current, former, and future officers alike. Did you ever have any doubts about your ability to one day become an officer? How did you overcome such doubts? When you first began your quest to become a Naval (or even Marine) Officer, what was your whole mindset towards the obstacles you had to overcome to get where you needed to be? I've tried to search such topics, but couldn't really scratch anything up.

I have my reasons for posting such questions, so maybe I can go into further detail if I get some feedback.

Thanks.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
When you first began your quest to become a Naval (or even Marine) Officer, what was your whole mindset...
How can I get a date with that blonde sorority girl .... ??? The good lookin' one with the rich Daddy. Even when I considered the Marine option that was still my mindset ....
I have my reasons for posting such questions,.... maybe I can go into further detail if I get some feedback.
O.K. We wait .... patiently.
He mea iki.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Congrats and good luck with SUNY. Not the easiests of roads. That being said....relaaaax.

Everything will come in due time. You might have doubts now. If you have doubts 4 years from now when your taking your oath then maybe worry. And then relax some more. All in good time. Your learning and edjubucation will be continous.

I don't remember what doubts i may have had specifically, but, when in doubt, 1) know your sh*t, and then 2) just pretend like you know what your doing until someone tells you otherwise.

Besides, as soon as you have it all figured out there's something you don't.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why not turn it around a bit? For decade upon decade the Naval services have been churning out officers and during WWII, they did on a mass scale. They pretty much have the process of screening and then training officers down pat. It's a challenge for everyone, but you need to want it bad enough to give it your all while believing you are up to the challenge. Nobody has all the answers, but you should have had some exposure through team sports or other activities to much of the basic leadership principles and discipline it takes to be competitive as an officer. So you might consider saying if all those other guys could do it before me, why can't I?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
My two:

Relax and take it a day at a time. No one expects you to be able to fly a plane or drive a boat your first day in NROTC. Hell, no one expects that of you on your last day of NROTC either.

The leadership and comfort with how the Navy operates will come in time. If you still have doubts a year or two into the program then it may be time to question if you really want to go down that road. It's not for everyone. If, however, this is what you really want to do, you'll find a way to succeed. You'll make mistakes: learn from them. You will be tested: be ready when they come.

Welcome aboard.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
SUNY Maritime has a great sailing program. You should look into the sailing team there if you have any interest or experience in sailing. It's a sport that is in season both fall and spring and it gives you a reason to miss classes on Fridays while you travel to regattas (though that can be both a blessing and a curse).

One of the guys who is a big supporter of me going Navy is a NY Maritime Alumni and a 60 driver with HCS-4/HSC 84. He has nothing but good things to say about the school, though it is a maritime school, so make sure you are all about boats.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Before I start this journey towards my dream of being an officer I just wanted to throw some questions out for current, former, and future officers alike.

Listening

Did you ever have any doubts about your ability to one day become an officer?

It took me 3 years and 4.5 apps in order to get into a commissioning source. It was never a matter of if, but when. Nothing wrong with having resolve, just don't get it confused with entitlement. When I first set out for a commissioning source, my attitude towards getting a commission was probably the only thing that made room for doubt, feelings of entitlement as opposed to feelings of resolve.

How did you overcome such doubts? When you first began your quest to become a Naval (or even Marine) Officer, what was your whole mindset towards the obstacles you had to overcome to get where you needed to be? I've tried to search such topics, but couldn't really scratch anything up.

Like I mentioned, I never had doubts about getting a commission, but looking back, my problem was my attitude made getting a commission doubtful.

My freshman year I felt entitled to get a commission and that was killing me in terms of ever earning it. Rather than sucking it up and working hard, I dodged a lot of the tasks feeling "I just shouldn't have to". My freshman year GPA got trashed (2 Cs will do that to you) and I was a little flabbier too. It's ok to say "it's not a matter of if, but when" when you are actually putting out and busting your tail, that's resolve. But when you don't, you have entitlement issues. As a result, I was in no position to get a chance at a commission. But again, I felt the world owed me a commission, so what did I care? I kept trying regardless.

So how did I get over myself?

At the end of my craptacular freshman year of college I met up with a JROTC cadet I mentored who was about to graduate. Now, unlike me at the time, this cadet was the most hardworking, hardcharging person you'd ever see. In my opinion, she was the best the program had. However, she was medically disqualified from military service and would never be allowed to apply for commission. I had already knew that for a long time and mentored her into the unit's future XO anyway feeling the most I could do is make what little involvement in a military environment she'd have meaningful. She still looks up to me and even credited her making unit XO to everything I taught her about leadership. Despite my shortcomings, she viewed me as a hero. So with that said, how could I continue to make poor marks and sandbag Midshipman requirements when this cadet who would do anything to get a commission and was such a hardcharger can't even try? Who was I to have her say she owed everything she learned about leadership to me when I wasn't living up to that praise? The sense of entitlement crumbled away.

Enter my sophomore and junior years. From then on, I did a 180 virtually in everyway. People who know me personally will tell you. I worked 11x as hard to earn a commission. I lost about 50 pounds in a year alone, I raised my GPA back into the 3 range (3.7 currently), and eventually i joined airwarriors and got the real gouge on getting a commission. It still toke me another 2 years to get into an officer program, but when I thought of that young cadet's dedication to my abilities, the time seemed to fly by as a sense of resolve took over and I finally earned Officer Candidacy.

So my advice to conquer doubt is for you to find your source of resolve and let that guide you through the moments you think you can't succeed (be it your ambitious, family, or a good friend).

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Amen to the above.

Work Hard. My biggest lesson learned through being a Naval Officer was this: You work for your troops and your peers and your boss. It has nothing to do with you personally.
I was a little worried about "leading men" and filling this persona until I realized the above statement and just realized that all men want to hang out with honest, hard-working, smart people with integrity.

Good Luck.

P3 F0

None
I was also CP, although I rode that wave all the way through college and never applied for the Scholarship. I figured I could make it through all of the admin and other requirements until I almost got kicked out of the program. This happened when I think only one or two guys in the whole friggin country got picked up for Advanced Standing before my Junior year. That surprised everyone. Since I was the #1 pick of my unit and they apparently saw something in me, they kept me on for another year and put me in again before my Senior year. The Advanced Standing gates opened again, and I got in. That's a phone call I'll never forget.

I figured the next hurdle was NAMI, which I couldn't do much about. If I could make it past that, I was pretty sure I could get through API. I'd just work my ass off, and if I failed out of API or Primary, then at least I'd have tried my hardest. Then I blinked and all the sudden I've got 12 years under my belt. Not sure what happened there.

Just keep a good mental attitude, work hard, play nice with others, and you'll do fine.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Glad to see a few guys who are already commissioned agreed with exactly where I was coming from. Hard work and a proper attitude will remove any doubt of whether or not you are ready for a commission.

jitiola

Tengo La Camisa Negra!!!!
Alright, I think i've located the source of my problem after reading all of your answers. I guess it all just starts with attitude. My reasons for posting such questions probably stem from my high school career. Had about a 3.6 gpa throughout my 4 years, but I never really worked hard for anything. Now, I am faced with reality, and I'm not going to lie to you all, reality is looking pretty scary right now. But I guess I have to go in with the attitude I see in almost all the posts i've seen from the O's on this sight. I know what I want, and I will get it if I work hard and play harder.

Thank You all, feel free to continue adding insight on my questions. One day I want to look back on this thread, smile, and say to myself, "damn, I did it!"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Alright....I guess I have to go in with the attitude I see in almost all the posts i've seen from the O's on this sight. I know what I want, and I will get it if I work hard and play harder..... and say to myself, "damn, I did it!"
That sounds about right. I think you're gonna' do fine. :)

Maikaʻi Pomaikaʻi!!!

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
My reasons for posting such questions probably stem from my high school career. Had about a 3.6 gpa throughout my 4 years, but I never really worked hard for anything. Now, I am faced with reality, and I'm not going to lie to you all, reality is looking pretty scary right now.

Don't take this the wrong way, because you're headed in the right direction, but you haven't even embarked on your career yet. There is a lot in front of you, and you won't succeed if you have an attitude in which you second guess yourself. I don't know from experience, but I would imagine that leaving your wife and kids at home during deployments is a lot more "real life" than heading to college. College isn't the real world, it just prepares you for it, gives you "tools for your toolbox." Everything you need to succeed there can be found with a little digging, whether in the classroom, with your peers, or in your unit, and you will befriend many a person you can use for support.

When I was 18, I drove 3,000 miles to play hockey for a team and live with a family I've never met before, in a different country, and play at a level I never dreamed of, with a bunch of Canadians who wanted to embarrass the Yankee. In some cases, failure is inevitable, and in others, it can even be embraced. In practice, for example, there were times when I knew I would let horrific goals in, and in some cases have a string of such bad practices that I would be riding the pine that weekend. But those failures in practice served as my refinement in games. I took all the mistakes I made M-T and utilized them to better myself for Friday, Sat and Sun, when it counted. My mistakes were my tools in my toolbox.

Now in college, I am faced with a somewhat similar situation. There will be times when I'll have to academically perform well under pressure, times when I will be faced with moral decisions, and a laundry list of other cliche dilemmas. I won't make all the right choices, and I don't think anyone will. However, every choice you make, whether right or wrong, will enable you to make a better choice when it counts. If your desire is to become a Naval Aviator, than I wouldn't place too much fretting in college, because I'm pretty sure, and somebody with wings feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the challenges and choices you face in college will pail in comparison to those you face in the fleet.

If you're not confident in yourself and your decisions, than your road will be much harder.