• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

time line for wedding

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
That'll go over like a fart in church. Nothing makes someone want to cut an Ensign a break like jumping several levels of the chain of command. You can't be serious.

Brett

I don't think he meant just go blowing by all the steps on the way to the Admiral's office. I think he was meaning that if the first person denies it it can always keep going up, but you have to request it (and usually walk it up). I remember a training session specifically talking about this in boot camp, gave some obscure reg that the final say so on any request chit is the base/squadron/etc CO.

AKM56LB

before you go off telling me what you think my priorities are, let me tell you what they are. I have been preparing for this next step in my life for the past 16 yrs. if i am going to drag this girl around for the next 20 yrs i think the least i can do is give her a little time for something she really wants and is important to her. as for me, i always wanted a military wedding so i think that would be kind of hard at a JP's office.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
before you go off telling me what you think my priorities are, let me tell you what they are. I have been preparing for this next step in my life for the past 16 yrs. if i am going to drag this girl around for the next 20 yrs i think the least i can do is give her a little time for something she really wants and is important to her. as for me, i always wanted a military wedding so i think that would be kind of hard at a JP's office.
Good luck with your wants, priorities and career. At least one of them is going to have to give. If you want to be able to plan, don't join the military. That is just the way it is.

helo_wifey

Unfortunately, the Navy doesn't care about your wants or priorities. You (and your future wife, actually, especially her) need to be able to go with the flow. Yeah, she is going to be dragged around, but thats her choice to be with you. Its something all military spouses have to deal with, we very rarely get what we want, but we make the best of what we're given.

People are just trying to give you suggestions, and a little input into what we all did to handle the situation.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Folks are just offering advice. Your question has been answered. To clarify: There is no way to determine at this point how long your training pipeline will take. You may suffer an injury at OCS, become medically disqualified at API, or suffer pipeline delays while in primary and advanced. You had multiple AD officers (some who are fleet experienced instructor pilots in the training command) give you advice. The only hard date you have mentioned is June 08 for your wedding. That appears to be your priority. Once you are in flight school, that needs to become your priority as there are several pitfalls where students get jacked up and end up attriting for personal reasons. Especially since you said it has taken you 16 years to get here.

We are a friendly message board, however get used to the notion of the Navy telling you what your priorities are going to be. If you get denied leave for your wedding, then so be it.

AKM56LB

i understand that not everything goes according to plan but you cant tell me that you wouldnt like to know dates in your schedule also. i appreciate the info from everyone. side note, it hasnt taken 16 yrs to get here necessarily, just 16 years in waiting for this opportunity (since i am only 22 and about to grad college). forgive me if i was rude, im just tired of trying to get info from my OR and he doesnt tell me crap.

MasterBates

My husband and I did the JOP and don't know if we'll ever have a real ceremony. I know it matters to a lot of people, but to us a ceremony just meant shelling out tons of $$ for 1 day that we could use one something more worthy (in our eyes).

Wow.. A woman who said that AND meant it! That's what I did, and after a month, I started getting the "when am I gettting my Fairytale Wedding" crap..

MasterBates

i understand that not everything goes according to plan but you cant tell me that you wouldnt like to know dates in your schedule also. i appreciate the info from everyone. side note, it hasnt taken 16 yrs to get here necessarily, just 16 years in waiting for this opportunity (since i am only 22 and about to grad college). forgive me if i was rude, im just tired of trying to get info from my OR and he doesnt tell me crap.
AKM,

WAIT AT LEAST UNTIL YOU ARE WINGED. If she is worth it, she will understand AND wait.

Personally, I would wait until after your 1st deployment. A lot of women who are great otherwise, cannot handle being Navy Wives.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

In the Air Force, they plan everything out and can tell you with greater certainty when things will happen, but often times in the Navy, you leave the squadron not knowing what the flight schedule will be for the next day. You're asking for something that isn't known. The whole deal with flight school is production and a lot of factors play into the gaps between training evolutions and day to day activity. Nobody can predict the weather which sometimes causes all sorts of issues. The ONLY date you'll likely know for sure is when you start. Standby to be flexible for everything else that follows. As long as you can make the wedding happen over a weekend with maybe an extra day or two with a holiday, then go for it. Nobody is trying to rain on your parade, but a wedding is a huge event for both of you and your families. If you can't wait until you get your wings and can have more time for a honeymoon, then so be it, but you're setting yourself up for disappointment at worst and a lot of pressure at best. You'll need time to concentrate during flight school and this could be a monster of a distraction.

PS Your OR isn't even in same chain of command and his duty is to deliver qualified folks into the pipeline so realize you're asking for info that isn't obtainable from someone not even in the decision or planning loop

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
im just tired of trying to get info from my OR and he doesnt tell me crap.
Maybe it's because he either recognizes he doesn't know crap about your possible schedule after starting OCS or that any information he gives you will be crap.

You can just magically make up a schedule that doesn't exist. Everyone's is different and everyone's changes.

helo_wifey

Wow.. A woman who said that AND meant it! That's what I did, and after a month, I started getting the "when am I gettting my Fairytale Wedding" crap..

Lol...thats why I'm taken ;)

We might have a small ceremony when we get back to the states, but it will be very casual, probably in the mountains with a bbq after...it doesn't have to be some big production to be special.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, folks, not trying to pull the moderator card here, but honestly, let's just focus on being helpful. He's not asking whether or not he should get married, what his priorities should be, etc, he just wants to know basic training timeline info. The webmaster specifically aims for this site to be helpful to people just like AKM56LB and I think we should all keep that in mind when posting.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
And he's been told. There is no way to really pick a date after he goes to OCS until he is through the training pipeline. If he wants the wedding after he is commissioned and before his first squadron, his best bet is to choose a holiday weekend and hope for the best.

He can make elaborate wedding and honeymoon plans, but until he is actually in whatever command those dates belong to, it's just a hope. At this time, it's impossible to know what command those dates will belong to.

If he wants to guarantee the wedding date and honeymoon, he needs to forgo the military wedding and get married before he goes to OCS.