• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

time line for wedding

AKM56LB

I have some questions for those of you who have the information. This is my situation right now, I will graduate college in May but at the earliest I can start OCS in August due to PRK recovery. The big iffy is this.
I have already been picked up for pilot and plan to get married June of 08. What I want to do is back track from that point so I can set a date to start OCS.
When would the best time be to get married (in consideration to OCS,IFS,API,and flight school)?
How long do each one last and what are the wait times between them?

helo_wifey

I think this is the most popular question besides "what % get jets?". Just do a search in the forums and you'll find your answer.

And remember...

women are bad...mmmmkay?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think this is the most popular question besides "what % get jets?". Just do a search in the forums and you'll find your answer.

And remember...

women are bad...mmmmkay?

There must be something in the water (or it's just springtime). :D I'm done trying to save souls (for now). People will have to learn the hard way.

Brett

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I'm getting married may 27 2007 (mem day weekend). i was engaged in july 2005! the reason it took so long is because the only break i could be "assured" of was over a holiday weekend. i would suggest the same because that is really the only time you can be "pretty sure" you can get leave...

edit: just wanted to add that it was the API stucon that suggested that we plan for that weekend. i'm in advanced now. everyone in the other stucons has pretty much concurred w/ the logic. esp considering weddings are a b1tch to plan, they take a year sometimes!

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I have some questions for those of you who have the information. This is my situation right now, I will graduate college in May but at the earliest I can start OCS in August due to PRK recovery. The big iffy is this.
I have already been picked up for pilot and plan to get married June of 08. What I want to do is back track from that point so I can set a date to start OCS.
When would the best time be to get married (in consideration to OCS,IFS,API,and flight school)?

You can get one day of leave if you are the bride or groom in our squadron. A day of leave = fly day. So, if you were to get married on memorial day weekend...you'd actually be able to probably take Tuesday too...but that's it.

Do it before flight school...or not at all. J/k. Congrats. Don't fvck it up.

~D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Answer: it depends...

....and it depends on so many things that you cannot plan for a guaranteed time to get hitched in between the specific events

My two cents: do it right out of school if you think your new bride can be very flexible while you are very distracted and perhaps unavailable to her OR wait until you get your wings and you can take some leave and give her the attention she deserves

I postponed my planned date because of early signs of "high maintenance" in my intended and if I didn't perform as needed, I only wanted to blame myself, not my spouse

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There is a very good argument for waiting until you get your wings - and get married between wings and FRS. A lot of guys learn this the hard way.

Just my 2 cents...

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Does a person get to choose how long between OCS, IFS, API and Primary or does the Navy regulate that?

You can generally choose how long between all your classes if you run a request early enough. I don't really like flying in the heat so i requested primary for me to begin in October in Pensacola and it worked out fine; I ended up being stashed for an extra 3 months and got to do a lot of fishing; something I don't mind in the heat.

If you don't get the time in between you want you just go higher up the chain until you get permission. Sometimes it's an Admiral and they are usually willing to help out with heartless 0-4's and student control officers.

Steve

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you don't get the time in between you want you just go higher up the chain until you get permission. Sometimes it's an Admiral and they are usually willing to help out with heartless 0-4's and student control officers.

Steve

That'll go over like a fart in church. Nothing makes someone want to cut an Ensign a break like jumping several levels of the chain of command. You can't be serious.

Brett

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah yes, the student who went VFR direct to PERS43. A legend.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does a person get to choose how long between OCS, IFS, API and Primary or does the Navy regulate that?

Once you are in, the timeline is not up to you. It sounds like your priority is the wedding. Bottom line there is no guarantee it will all work out. Maybe you should wait to join after your wedding.

SETX07

Here is my situation. I commission in may and I am waiting on a tbs date. I've got an awesome girlfriend but I've told her "wings before rings" blah blah blah...but basically I have decided whatever happens happens because if she leaves then on any given day in the future im pretty sure I could walk down the street and swing my arms and hit 3 chicks that I could probably spend the rest of my life with, at least until they divorce me after deployment and take all my money. See brett mission accomplished you have saved one soul as of right now. So my question is...what % get jets?

helo_wifey

If you really need to get married...go to the Justice of the Peace and have a civil ceremony. When you know your time line better you can actually plan for a "real" wedding.

My husband and I did the JOP and don't know if we'll ever have a real ceremony. I know it matters to a lot of people, but to us a ceremony just meant shelling out tons of $$ for 1 day that we could use one something more worthy (in our eyes).

If she really wants to be with you she can wait a little bit, its not like you don't have the rest of your lives to be married.