• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time it takes from first contact to complete your package

Poop

've been solely focused on studying for the ASTB and haven't talked to a recruiter yet. I thought by the time I make first contact I'll be ready to take the ASTB, schedule a date for MEPS and get my package turned in albeit I was told getting your package together is a lengthy process (which can take up to year), I was hoping to have mine all completed before the next SNA board on the third of April. Is this feasible? I just never thought getting your package together would take long. Thank you

robav8r

None
Contributor
Poop,
42% of prospective SNA’s perform better during their ASTB & package preparation by thoroughly searching the forums and using the search function . . . . ?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
've been solely focused on studying for the ASTB and haven't talked to a recruiter yet. I thought by the time I make first contact I'll be ready to take the ASTB, schedule a date for MEPS and get my package turned in albeit I was told getting your package together is a lengthy process (which can take up to year), I was hoping to have mine all completed before the next SNA board on the third of April. Is this feasible? I just never thought getting your package together would take long. Thank you

There are so many factors YOU can control and others that out outside of your hands. I would sync up with your officer recruiter to see what's possible. Furthermore, prior to submitting ASK when he/she thinks you'll be shipping to OCS.

Meyerkord

pilot
Concur with above ^ also keep in mind, the submission deadline is usually over a month in advance of when the board actually meets.

Poop

@Meyerkord thank you, I should’ve been more clear, the board closes on the third, that’s not when they meet. Thank you, sorry for the confusion

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Nothing to add other than “Poop” has got to be the best username in the history of the galaxy. Really, really!

Also, back in 1986 it took about 2 weeks [if I remember correctly] from initial contact to completion regarding my packet for AOCS.

exNavyOffRec

MEPS will be your limiting factor, excluding MEPS I have had a few candidates who came into the office with the required documentation, take the ASTB in the morning, then we complete the entire application by noonish.

CaM119

Welcome to the Navy, where YMMV and Hurry Up and Wait will become tried and true maxims for you! And this from someone who is only about to report to OCS this weekend, lol, never mind the other, very experienced fleet guys that roam these forums.

To answer your question directly, if briefly, with my own experience, it took approximately 15 months from first contact to FINSEL and orders in-hand. The main slow down factors in my case revolved around age limits, which recently changed, and having to apply twice as at my first pass, I was not selected. I worked with the officer recruiting station in San Diego County; very nice group of people.

As others have said, you should definitely speak to an OR to get the ball rolling and have your questions answered. Oh, and as a last tidbit, my OR told me they had a candidate screened, processed, sent to board and accepted within a 2-3 month window. It can happen, but I have no idea how common that kind of turn around is.

combs90

In general. Navy med can only process 6 pages of docs per day. Business days at that. So the more junk you have to account for med records, legal, and anything else. The longer that portion will take. Then you get your green light for MEPS. During that time you can take your ASTB. I recommend taking it early so you have time to take it again if necessary. I began my package in Sept 2019. I have a few more docs that Navy med has requested and then I’ll be good to go to MEPS and submit to the 20 April board in March. So the process has taken about 7 months. YMMV depending on your own situation. I was very proactive in getting my documents fast. Use the time to get in better shape and study appendix B.
Good luck.

exNavyOffRec

In general. Navy med can only process 6 pages of docs per day. Business days at that. So the more junk you have to account for med records, legal, and anything else. The longer that portion will take. Then you get your green light for MEPS. During that time you can take your ASTB. I recommend taking it early so you have time to take it again if necessary. I began my package in Sept 2019. I have a few more docs that Navy med has requested and then I’ll be good to go to MEPS and submit to the 20 April board in March. So the process has taken about 7 months. YMMV depending on your own situation. I was very proactive in getting my documents fast. Use the time to get in better shape and study appendix B.
Good luck.

They can do much better than that, and there are many factors that go into it, if the issue is complex then it will take time, however if the documents are submitted in entirety and in proper sequence it makes things go smoother and faster. I have had complex items get submitted and back approved in a day, and I have seen things as simple as a fracture get bounced back and forth because the recruiter didn't bother to ensure everything was there before submitting.