• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time in Regionals?

Fallonflyr

pilot
A little friendly advice for anyone who would like to work for United, stay away from SkyWest and Republic.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Any gouge to why?

There is a jumpseat war starting. United ALPA changed the jumpseat priority to favor carriers that only fly for United. And then regionals that fly for United and someone else. And then everyone else.

Skywest's student council (the don't have a union) responded by stating they don't have an agreement with United and threatening certificate action against captains who let United pilots in their jumpseat. There are reports of a few United pilots already left behind with empty jumpseats.

Republic is also in that fight since they fly for all 3 majors.

This comes right after Republic ALPA is trying to get a better/easier way to check in for AA flights where they may get the jumpseat. They have been trying for years with no luck (and I agree with and support AA management making the change) (it is complicated to explain, it has to do with travel in the cabin vs jumpseat. Check in on line vs at the gate). To force the issue, they are now they are taking offline (think SWA) pilots before AA or wholey owned on AA painted Republic aircraft. No jumpseats are leaving empty, but priority has changed.

I'm not a commuter, so I don't have too much skin in this fight. I have jumpseated once on Republic before this.

BTW, checking in from Malta.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Skywest's student council (the don't have a union) responded by stating they don't have an agreement with United and threatening certificate action against captains who let United pilots in their jumpseat.
The student council is recognized as doing the job of a union. If they tried to take action against anyone for allowing a United jumpseater than they are opening themselves up for a failure to represent lawsuit.

As far as certificate action, there is nothing the FAA can or will do against a pilot that let a jumpseater in his cockpit that met all the FAA and TSA eligibility requirements. The company might be able to take disciplinary action if they published a prohibition on United pilot jumpseaters but I doubt they did that - they don't want to lose their United flying.

Skywest is shooting themselves in the head. When it comes to hiring, pilots have a long memory, especially when one is attacking their pilot group.

In the long run, this could also weaken the Captain's hold on the jumpseat. ALPA and the profession has fought long and hard to establish that the jumpseat belongs to the Captain. Except cases required by FAR (FAA inspectors for example) it is the Captains right to allow or not allow it to be used and by whom. We have jumpseat agreements and priorities at Hawaiian and we follow them but I can put any pilot authorized by the FARs and TSA regulations in my jumpseat without following these agreements or priority if I want. The company will stay out of it and the union may question me about my reasons or give me a reminder about possible consequences, but that is it. There will be no disciplinary action and no repercussions. The only time I do not control the jumpseat is if there are more than 2 pilots assigned to the flight (i.e. heavy crew or check airman) that need them. Companies would love to take control of the jumpseat back and actions like this from Skywest is just the type of thing they can use toward doing this.

Fallonflyr

pilot
The student council is recognized as doing the job of a union. If they tried to take action against anyone for allowing a United jumpseater than they are opening themselves up for a failure to represent lawsuit.

As far as certificate action, there is nothing the FAA can or will do against a pilot that let a jumpseater in his cockpit that met all the FAA and TSA eligibility requirements. The company might be able to take disciplinary action if they published a prohibition on United pilot jumpseaters but I doubt they did that - they don't want to lose their United flying.

Skywest is shooting themselves in the head. When it comes to hiring, pilots have a long memory, especially when one is attacking their pilot group.

In the long run, this could also weaken the Captain's hold on the jumpseat. ALPA and the profession has fought long and hard to establish that the jumpseat belongs to the Captain. Except cases required by FAR (FAA inspectors for example) it is the Captains right to allow or not allow it to be used and by whom. We have jumpseat agreements and priorities at Hawaiian and we follow them but I can put any pilot authorized by the FARs and TSA regulations in my jumpseat without following these agreements or priority if I want. The company will stay out of it and the union may question me about my reasons or give me a reminder about possible consequences, but that is it. There will be no disciplinary action and no repercussions. The only time I do not control the jumpseat is if there are more than 2 pilots assigned to the flight (i.e. heavy crew or check airman) that need them. Companies would love to take control of the jumpseat back and actions like this from Skywest is just the type of thing they can use toward doing this.
Hal is 100% right, the jumpseat belongs to the Captain. Skywest is a non-union airline that has a management run student union headed by a loser lifer that could never be hired by a major. He is leading his sheep into career suicide. If the captains there follow his path they will have proven that they have made it as far as they are capable in this industry.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I am a Navy Helo driver about a year out from separation and I'm weighing my options, with the airlines and CBP as the frontrunners for me. One of my main questions about regionals I can't seem to find an answer to on any forums: how long are Helo guys who do an RTP with a regional nowdays taking to get on with a major? Can anyone speak to this from experience?

I've heard people saying they guess only a year or 2, but this seems overly optimistic to me since you'll barely be a captain getting part 121 PIC time by then. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Are you talking any major, or a legacy? Because those are two different discussions.

One of my buddies went to Frontier from his regional with a year flying the line under his belt (just around 2 years overall at the company) He was all rotary minus the RTP program fixed wing mins and a years worth of line flying 121 with mil leave thrown in here and there. He might have had 1000hrs 121 SIC time.

Legacies as a RTP guy with no fixed wing time prior? Best guess is 5 years for most.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hal is 100% right, the jumpseat belongs to the Captain. Skywest is a non-union airline that has a management run student union headed by a loser lifer that could never be hired by a major. He is leading his sheep into career suicide. If the captains there follow his path they will have proven that they have made it as far as they are capable in this industry.

I’m pretty close with a member of the Skyworst student council and talked to him today. They’re all for not letting United push them around and are even willing to lose some flying over it. :rolleyes:

Republic is another group of assclowns who are fighting both AAG and UAL/UAX Pilots because they don’t like their Jumpseat priority.

Definitely second the advice to be leery of joining either of these two regionals. At the very least being on probation and trying to commute during a multi front Jumpseat war is likely going to be dicey at best if you’re not on your own metal.

Fallonflyr

pilot
I’m pretty close with a member of the Skyworst student council and talked to him today. They’re all for not letting United push them around and are even willing to lose some flying over it. :rolleyes:

Republic is another group of assclowns who are fighting both AAG and UAL/UAX Pilots because they don’t like their Jumpseat priority.

Definitely second the advice to be leery of joining either of these two regionals. At the very least being on probation and trying to commute during a multi front Jumpseat war is likely going to be dicey at best if you’re not on your own metal.
Actually, this is not a jumpseat war, Skywest pilots have not been banned from United jumpseats. Names of captains who have denied and those have approved the jumpseat are being tracked by both ALPA and the company. For it’s own interest the company would like the names of people who may be causing harm to it’s operations for obvious reasons. Think of this as a big brother straight arming his little brother and laughing as the little dude flails away.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
In other words, if an individual was about to start SKW FO Ground School.....he or she really shouldn't care about this crap?

Fallonflyr

pilot
In other words, if an individual was about to start SKW FO Ground School.....he or she really shouldn't care about this crap?
It depends upon the actions of the pilot group. Right now I would say if you ever want to work for United Airlines you might want to go somewhere else.

Mirage

pilot
Have to agree it's super unrealistic. Skywest and Republic are the 2 largest regionals (Skywest has well over twice as many aircraft as anyone else). Seems unrealistic to think United would freeze hiring pilots from these airlines for years (by the time I'd apply) because some Captains back in 2019, way before any new hire now was even a Captain, didn't let a few United pilots in their jumpseats.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I agree. I would not be worried about going to Republic or Skywest

I think in this time, we just need to follow the advice of a puppet

Fallonflyr

pilot
Memory is long in this business, people are still shunned for the actions they took long before some of you all were even born.