• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tick tock.. tick tock.

Tuckster

MIF HUNTER
None
Thats what I was thinking to, but I want to be sure before I get stuck with a bill later. I am going to do some more research and go to the Navy College in person. It's less likely to get blown off if you are standing there asking them than if you are on the phone. I am going to call around to some other offices to and see what they say just to cross check. I'll update and let everyone know what I find out.

Beefalo

Congrats to all selected. You truely are an inspiration. To the guys who didnt get selected that just adds more motivation to add something else to your package next year and hopefully that will give you the edge.

i didnt get selected but I didnt put in a package this year either.:( I didnt find out about STA-21 until a bit too late. Im already working on it now though so hopefully I will be an officer canidate select this time next year.

Tuckster

MIF HUNTER
None
thanks
yea I checked around and got the same answer. But good to know that someone has done it.

SpookyMustang

Not a brown shoe...
Can still change school...

I was just commissioned through STA-21 at the University of Missouri. For those who have been going to Columbia College while enlisted, you can actually go to the home campus in Columbia, Missouri and take all your credits with you without having to worry about transferring them (this can be a pain if you are trying to take those credits to another school). You would be attached to the University of Missouri NROTC, but go to school at Columbia College.

On another note...if you really want to put away some cash, Columbia College offers 10 scholarships a year that include room and board. These are rarely used and are first come first served for ROTC students. Imagine, having your room and board paid for AND still drawing BAS and BAH. Talk about putting away some cash.

You can still change the school you want to go to until you go to NSI. Just a thought...

AT4IW

Alternates

Congratulations to all those who were selected. I was selected as an Alternate for the IW option. The best thng about this is I get to do the initial paperwork (physicals, apply for schools) hoping that a spot opens up as well as work on my package for the next board. I was just curious to know if any of you all had any idea how many of the alternates last year were called up?

Again, congrats to those who were selected.

lenny

Well, the initial shock of knowing about selection is getting slowly over now and I'm starting to decide what to do next. I thought that we could keep sharing experiences and advices not just for sake of helping and supporting each other but also to leave some guide path for guys who will be selected next year.
Right now, I'm really trying to get all the required physicals done (the deadline is supposedly 01JAN06) while also looking into colleges. So many life changing choices without enough valuable time ... How are you guys progressing before NSI?
Good Luck
Ahadu

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
If you guys have any questions regarding BOOST/NSI let me know. One piece of advice I'm going to say. Don't bother updating your seabag. As long as what you have will last for 3 months it's good. I spent about 300 bucks getting various items that I found out I wouldn't need. Read an extra pair of wk blues and whites. Now the blues transfered, but the whites didn't. If you have a peacoat and are going someplace cold I would recommend you have it changed to a reefer. Congrats again and have fun w/ the college acceptance process.:D

KimberlyD

Congratulations to all of you that made it! Have fun in the goose poop! BTW, when you get to RI, if someone doesn't clue you in earlier, most of what could pass for nightlife occurs in Warwick, RI. Buy the roll of bridge coins when you first cross the Newport Bridge ($10 for 11 coins), there will be days you'll wake up wondering when you're next crossing that bridge! Good luck & I hope you all have an awesome time!

helo_hopeful

I agree with ahadu, I think it's a grand idea to post helpful tips for those of us who have just been selected. I am curious, where did the deadline of 31JAN for the physicals come from? For those of you who have already gone through the post-selection process, are there any deadlines for the college acceptance letters and degree plans? I'm asking because I'm on deployment in Japan right now and it's gonna be kinda hard for me to get all that stuff done while I'm still over here.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Basically the deadline for college acceptance letters and degree plans are due a few weeks before you expect to leave for NSI. They need a reasonable amount of time to cut orders.

lenny

Yes, good idea. Regarding the deadline for physicals, here is quote from official NAVADMIN 282/05 message.

B. ENSURE COPIES OF COMPLETED PHYSICALS (FORMS DD FORM 2807-1
AND DD FORM 2808), INCLUDING HIV RESULTS FROM A TEST TAKEN AFTER
1 JAN 05, ARE MAILED TO NAVAL SERVICE TRAINING COMMAND ATTN:
OD2/STA-21, 250 DALLAS STREET, SUITE A, PENSACOLA, FL 32508-5268
NLT THAN 1 JAN 06. AVIATION OPTION SELECTEES/ALTERNATES MUST
SUBMIT PHYSICALS (FORMS SF 93, SF 88, SF 507, NAVMED 6410.9,
EKG PRINTOUT) AND HIV RESULTS FROM A TEST TAKEN AFTER 1 JAN 05.
ALL REQUIRED PHYSICAL FORMS CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM THE STA-21
HOMEPAGE AT HTTPS:\\WWW.STA-21.NAVY.MIL[/url]. COMMANDS
SHOULD NOT FORWARD PHYSICAL FORMS DIRECTLY TO BUMED.

NLT=no later than 01 January 06, so I'm guessing that it would be good idea to contact STA21 and request extension of deadline due to your circumstances. I'm also currently on deployment in Japan, however my ship should soon pull in to Okinawa so I will try to get the necessary physicals done there.
I'm also curious if this 01 Jan deadline applies to letters of acceptances into colleges. etcnuclearsailor where did you find your mentioned information? Is it from official source?
Heloguy and others ... what majors are you guys considering? Are they somehow related to your selected designator?
Good Luck

helo_hopeful

Thanks ahadu, I swear that I've read that message five times, and somehow I missed that deadline. I doubt that they would require the college acceptance letters by 01JAN, that's pretty early, especially for guys like me who don't report to NSI until approximately May 21st. I've already spoken to the university I am trying to get in to (U of W), and they usually wouldn't mail out acceptance letters for the fall quarter of 06 until April. The advisor said that he has dealt with sta-21 selectees before though, and it is possible to get a reply sooner.

I will be majoring in psychology, and no, it doesn't have anything to do with my future designator (pilot). It's simply what I've been working on with columbia college for the past couple years.

KimberlyD

Just to ease the pressure, everyone in my husband's NSI class (a May class) was turning acceptance letters in right up until before they reported in, however, as someone pointed out, the schools will try to accomodate STA-21 students w/ earlier acceptance letters (they know the Navy pays their bills on time!). If a school goes "huh, you're in wha?", call what would be the receiving NROTC unit & see if they can give you advice.

Another piece of advice, as soon as your taxes are done, apply for FAFSA. You'll only want to accept grants, not loans. Some of you may max the grant award (I think that's $4,500 per year, we have people here who get the max) & some of you may get nothing but it's free money to go to school. The Navy will be paying for your books (by reimbursement so save some book money for every semester) & your tuition (up front) but FAFSA money can help pay for your daycare, travel expenses to & fr the school & so on. Also, save all your receipts. The message regarding reimbursement for application expenses is very ambiguous & some of you may read that thinking "the Navy is going to reimburse me for applying to 3 schools" but nope, the receiving NROTC unit will reimburse you your application fees for the school you actually get ordered to however you hardly want to be the person checking in & asking for money in the next breath so save your receipts, make copies of your application fee payments (copy the check/money order/etc) & anything else associated w/ getting into college (fees for transcript records, etc) & plan on just taking it off on taxes, get a tax expert (CPA, accountant, etc) to do your taxes for the next 3 years.

brixtonbulldog

FC3atheBainbridge
I'm an AEGIS tech and that's all you need to know. And holy crap.. I'm sorry for my honesty. If I shouldn't feel this way than maybe there is something wrong with my impressions of officer country. I'm not buying it, though. Enlisted people might be the navy and they might even be respected in the minds of higher ups. But the enlisted INDIVIDUAL is not. As for chiefs it seems that they are passified by being given creature comforts of junior officers but if they were the onesreally responsible for thier divisions than we wouldn't need DIVO's which, by the way, we didn't used to have in the days of old. And if anyone has a problem with me making STA one day because of my impressions than don't be that officer that proves my point. And I won't be the officer that becomes what I didn't like in the first place. I would always keep in mind that leaders serve those below them as well as above.