• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

three mile help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I haven't been to OCS, but I'd say that if you get there and you can 5-6 miles at a good pace, then you'll be fine. When I say good pace, I mean 8 min pace. My .02 cents.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

charger

The key to running at ocs is being comfortable running in boots and uts. After week 2-3 it seems like you never run in go fasters again. With the exception of the 3 pfts all the physicaly graded events are done in boots and uts, the CRT, the endurance course, the O-course. Just to give you an idea the run portion of the CRT test is 3 miles in boots, uts, war gear, and rifle. You have I believe 23 mins to score perfect on the running portion and 27 mins to pass it. Another thing I found at ocs was that a 3 or 4 mile run wasn't always a 3 or 4 mile run. they would say 3 mile run and at what you thought was the halfway point where the sign said 1 1/2 miles you would just keep right on running and turn around another 1/2 mile or so. Another thing I found was that we didn't have squads broke down by fastest slowest runners, we just ran in our normal squads. If you were in the first squad you generally ran with the platoon sgt or platoon commander, if you were second or third squad you would run with a sgt instructor. It made a huge difference what squad you ran in. As the platoon would filter back into the squad bay after PT 1st squad always had at least 2-3 run drops and sometimes half the squad would be a run drop if they ran with the platoon commander. If you are a weak runner make sure you are at the front of the squad. If are a weak runner and you stay in the back of the squad it makes it that much harder as the squad gets strung out. Just my $.02

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
As the platoon would filter back into the squad bay after PT 1st squad always had at least 2-3 run drops and sometimes half the squad would be a run drop if they ran with the platoon commander.

What do run drops mean? I'm a little confused on what you are trying to get across here. Thanks.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Run-drops are those who couldn't keep up the pace and fell back from the squad. Having a run-drop can suck for everyone. The one who "dropped" tends to have a harder time physically, mentally, and when concerning evaluations. Also, depending on who you're running with (Plt Sgt, Plt Cdr, Sgt Inst), you'll probably have to go back and pick them up. That can suck if they drop on a hill and the squad is made to run the hill over again. Lesson? Make sure you're comfortable with running, keep yourself motivated, and TRY to motivate others who are about to, or are, falling behind.

charger

A run drop is falling out of a run, ie not being able to keep up. You always start a run in columns of two and on some trails you would have to go to single file. The majority of the time you ran in columns of two. If the gap between you and the person in front of you got too big or people started passing you were considered a run straggler, if you fell completly out of formation you were a run drop.

I guess the point I was trying to make was it made a huge difference who was leading the run, because a couple of run drop chits and you were going to see the CO on 5 or 7 week boards and getting sent home.

charger

Just to expand on what frogfly said. Falling out of a run or hump can ruin you at OCS. You will have a bad peer eval, and if you are in a leadership billet and you fall out it almost assures you of getting a unfavorable in that billet.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by charger
The key to running at ocs is being comfortable running in boots and uts. After week 2-3 it seems like you never run in go fasters again. With the exception of the 3 pfts all the physicaly graded events are done in boots and uts, the CRT, the endurance course, the O-course. Just to give you an idea the run portion of the CRT test is 3 miles in boots, uts, war gear, and rifle. You have I believe 23 mins to score perfect on the running portion and 27 mins to pass it. Another thing I found at ocs was that a 3 or 4 mile run wasn't always a 3 or 4 mile run. they would say 3 mile run and at what you thought was the halfway point where the sign said 1 1/2 miles you would just keep right on running and turn around another 1/2 mile or so. Another thing I found was that we didn't have squads broke down by fastest slowest runners, we just ran in our normal squads. If you were in the first squad you generally ran with the platoon sgt or platoon commander, if you were second or third squad you would run with a sgt instructor. It made a huge difference what squad you ran in. As the platoon would filter back into the squad bay after PT 1st squad always had at least 2-3 run drops and sometimes half the squad would be a run drop if they ran with the platoon commander. If you are a weak runner make sure you are at the front of the squad. If are a weak runner and you stay in the back of the squad it makes it that much harder as the squad gets strung out. Just my $.02

My experience was a little different. In our platoon we usually were broken down into ability squads- Rabbits, Squirrels, and Turtles. Sometimes we would just run in our standard squad, but when this did happen whatever staff member you ran with would be random... Our Platoon Sgt was a PT STUD to say the least, and probably ran 3 miles right around the 15 minute mark. It is kind of funny looking back on when my squad had to run with him... We would start in columns of two, and then sort of turn into a cluster**** mob as he took off down the trails... I still have memories of feeling that I was going to pass out, and watching him up the trail double timing in place yelling back at us as he looked at his watch. After a run that killed each of the candidates he would barely be breathing hard! Our platoon always had the highest PFT average for the company, and I'm sure it was thanks to him smearing our asses all over fartlek trail.

UVAFighter

Ran my 3 mile in 21 minutes on Sunday, then ran a mile and a half in 10 minutes yesterday. Should I keep going for my goal of 20 minutes, or just start working on longer distances?

Status
Not open for further replies.