• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

three mile help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I just wanted to see what all you other candidates did/are doing for three mile prep for the marine PFT.

This is my strategy. Get to where I can three miles without stopping, and then progress on time. Also, be running some hills and other sprint workouts to help with speed, but I want to make sure that I'm not doing something stupid. Thats where you guys come in. Please everyone I need your input.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Once you get a good time for the 3-mile, run it in "boots and uts".

LAND MINES are equal opportunity weapons!!!

Adrenaline Rush

Running hills is awesome for conditioning the legs and building up speed...Also train for a 18 min 3 mile by doing all laps around a track at 1 min 30secs...obviously it is very difficult to do it consecutively so you will need to take a 2 min rest between laps...

I'd Rather Be A Lion For One Day, Than Be A Sheep For A Thousand Years

It Is Our Duty To Protect The Best Nation In The World

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll keep you posted on the run is coming along. I ran a 23:30 the other day. I walked 2 min of that. Only can get better. Adios.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

Rainman

pilot
Hey. Having been a 27 yr old @ OCS and FAT one year prior to OCS (not saying you are. . just putting this into perspective). . .I was struggling with a decent three mile a few months before OCS began (I applied a few months before).

I'd say b/c you're barely able to run 3 8 minute miles without stopping. . you **REALLY** need to work on endurance. Luckily, it doesn't take that long if you put in the effort six times per week. (maybe at first not. .but you want to get into a daily regimen) You'll find that once you're able to run 3 consecutive miles, you will begin to shave off a bit of time on most days. This won't really help you @ OCS (in my opinion). Since there are plenty of events that are much longer than three miles and events where you do obstacles and climb rope, etc. . Not to mention that many events are in boots and utes.

SO. . .When you get to the point in a few weeks of running three consecutive miles. .say in 23 or so .. start building your way up to 5 mile runs a couple times per week (SLOW PACE FOR YOU). AND DEFINITELY boots/utes runs once per week. I'd agree that for OCS this is the most important thing.

So before I get off my soapbox, running a 20 minute 3 mile in sneakers vice a 22:30 3 mile isn't going to help you be successful at OCS (you'll just be in your platoon's 'fast' squad). Being able to run 5-6 miles at a time and having the strength to do obstacles will keep you in the game.

--my two cents

Semper Fi

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks Rainman. I want to get to where I can run 3 miles in 20 min or less. I know that this may seem far-fetched, but I'm going to do it. About the boots and uts run, should I run 3-5 miles in those at a cadence pace or what? Seriously, any positive crtitcism is welcomed. Semper Fi

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'll be able to run 5-6 miles by the time that I get there because I'm running in a half-marathon at the end of April. So, I should have the stamina to be able to run 5-7 miles at OCS.

Rainman

pilot
< 3 miles in February

and 13+ in April . ...

motivating.
Definitely doable. The cool thing is that you have lots of types of running to do; so be sure to vary it throughout the week. Back a few years ago most of the running was boots/utes. .. .and much of it NOT cadence pace. You feet might not be able to handle more than a couple miles; but that's why you're starting now. Also, like Adrenaline said, get on some trails with hills. You'll run lots of trails in your near future!!

Alright stud! Good luck . stay moto.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Haha. Thanks for the encouragement. Semper Fii

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Almost feel that it's unattainable. I dont know, maybe I just had it in my head that I could do it. I'm just going to go out and try my best. That's all I can do.

tnutz

nothing is unattainable, just keep working. i'm kinda in your same shoes. i concentrated more on lifting than running in the past and i have no endurance. at first running sucks, but be persistent. honestly, you'll be surprised and start seeing progress after a week or 2. i think the key is to constantly push yourself. it's very easy to get comfortable with where you are in your training and hit a wall. so set goals and track your progress. keep working!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
When possible, I ran with a buddy who was faster than me. It kept me pushing, because I hate to come in last, not to mention, running solo gets kinda old after a while. Keep a good stretching routine!

LAND MINES are equal opportunity weapons!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.